I'm stupid...

Options
Well, I screwed up and didn't take my own advice. I've got my diet in order and am losing weight with exercise (10lbs down). My goal is a half marathon in September. I didn't have proper shoes and pushed it too hard a while back and ignored the pain. I've now got a stress fracture in my left leg.

That said, I need to continue to keep my cardio up as well as strength training. So I'm considering swimming. Any thoughts on the following work out 3 times per week:

Warm up 100. Sprint 100. Legs only 100. Sprint 100. Cool down 100.

I haven't swam laps in years, though I'm a competent swimmer. Also, this is only to keep in shape and my training on track. Once I can run I'll start up again and switch to swimming only a couple of times a week.

Thanks.

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I think swimming is an excellent way to go forward OP! Swimming is such a great calorie burner and exercises all muscles!

I wish you a speedy recovery with the stress fractures!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've heard swimming is the best exercise you can do. Regular swimmers all seem to have amazing bodies too.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i have been a competitive swimmer for 17 years also have coached and was a lifeguard and in my personal opinion i would do a longer warmup maye 300-500 and a longer cool down 300-500 if you are going to be srpinting alot . . . . juat a thought. good luck and have fun
  • MamaMel71
    Options
    yes, I love swimming too and it is an excellent work out. When I do it, I can really feel the workout I had the next day although while I was doing it I would not feel out of breath or fatigued I have a physical disability where one leg is 3 inches shorter than my other one and I have arthritis in my hip and knee due to the excessive stress put on it from being overweight and from trying to work it like the other one. Because of this, I had to see which activities I could do without causing undue strain. While I used to be able to play softball and tennis back in the day, although I would love to again, it may be a challenge to see if I can.

Swimming I find is one of those beautiful exercises where anyone can do it and find success. Even for those who are not really excellent swimmers, you can still burn some good calories and build muscle by doing a good water aerobics routine like the one I do.

Hope all goes well for you and you heal up fine. Enjoy your swimming and other workouts.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i have been a competitive swimmer for 17 years also have coached and was a lifeguard and in my personal opinion i would do a longer warmup maye 300-500 and a longer cool down 300-500 if you are going to be srpinting alot . . . . juat a thought. good luck and have fun

Good suggestion. I haven't swam laps in a long time, so perhaps to start with I'll reduce my sprint to only once until I build up stamina?
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Good suggestion. I haven't swam laps in a long time, so perhaps to start with I'll reduce my sprint to only once until I build up stamina?

brilliant!! i was just worried you may hurt yourself. longer warmups and cool downs are key :)