Need Protein Bars Suggestions!

Options
2»

Replies

• stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    We have the Clif, Luna, Promax and Power bars here in Canada. I started buying the Equate no name brand from Walmart and they are good, only $1.47 each and it's a 24g protein bar with 300 cals so a big snack/ partial meal replacement, tastes good too.
    Clif bars taste great, Luna bars are okay, Promax are gross and I haven't tried a Power bar.

Thank You! The day after I found Clif bars at Walmart. I didn't try any but I do find they are very small for the calorie intake. Have you happened to see the Pure Protein anywhere?
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think Pure Protein were the ones I found at Costco and I didn't like them very much. There was one kind from Costco in a huge box so it was cheap per bar but they were kinda gross in texture.
    I only buy Clif bars on sale, they go on sale at Canadian Superstore and are 4 for $5 right now. They are good post workout, while they look small they are very filling and are close to a 4:1 carb to protein ratio which is great for muscles after weights.
    I still need to find a good mostly just protein bar as well too, right now the Equate bars are what I buy but they don't sell by the box and unfortunately I can't get over the cheap store brand thing so worry about the quality (probably silly, I did work in a factory many years ago where we produced and packed things that were the same for big brands, the machine would just change the labels and we'd put the same things into President's Choice boxes which is practically no name).
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think Pure Protein were the ones I found at Costco and I didn't like them very much. There was one kind from Costco in a huge box so it was cheap per bar but they were kinda gross in texture.
    I only buy Clif bars on sale, they go on sale at Canadian Superstore and are 4 for $5 right now. They are good post workout, while they look small they are very filling and are close to a 4:1 carb to protein ratio which is great for muscles after weights.
    I still need to find a good mostly just protein bar as well too, right now the Equate bars are what I buy but they don't sell by the box and unfortunately I can't get over the cheap store brand thing so worry about the quality (probably silly, I did work in a factory many years ago where we produced and packed things that were the same for big brands, the machine would just change the labels and we'd put the same things into President's Choice boxes which is practically no name).

Thanks so much for all your info, I just checked your profile and you are from KITCHENER. That is SOOO close from me. Super close to my hometown. I had no idea that they had Cliff bars here (In Canada) until I checked at A&P but they were around 3 dollars a bar. I will for sure have to check out the Great Canadian Super Store. What brands do you like best? Thanks so much.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like the oatmeal raisin walnut, black cherry almond, maple nut, and carrot cake Clif bars the best. No problem! :smile:
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My favorite bar - taste good/chewy/moist is Quaker Chewy-Fiber&Omega Bars (Peanut Butter is my favorite but Dark Choc Chunk is great too). They have 160 cals, 34 carbs, 2 fat, 4 prot, 10 g fiber.
    They feel me up and help boost my fiber/carb intake which is always low if I don't eat these. They come in a box of 6. Hope you find one you like.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I <3 Clif Builder Bars. The Chocolate Mint one tastes like a Thin Mint!

I REALLY want to try a Detour Bar.
  • SwSe86
    SwSe86 Posts: 11
    Options
    Personally I like the Luna brand bars... I also am a fan of the Clif bars. They tend to be higher in calories though around 240-280 a bar :noway: Some of the slim fast bars are ok too if you are just looking for snacks. I personally HATE the kashi bars I think they taste like cardboard
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I like the special K protein bars.. the chocolate chip ones expecially. I like to eat them right before I work out. :smile:
  • ronkswife2000
    ronkswife2000 Posts: 176
    Options
    I just tried the Luna protein bar and it was great!!! Best I've had by far... I had the nuts over chocolate, the brownie Luna bar looked good too but I wanted to get an individual one and try it before I bought a box of six. Most of the other protein bars had tons of calories 240, 250, 260 even and this one only had 190.

Two thumbs up in my book! :drinker:
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My all time fav are the Apex Breakfast bars. They are all delicious. My second choice would have to be Clif Bars.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Detour bars are excellent! You can get some at Costco, they are smaller an have 15g protein or you can get bigger ones at health food stores that have 30g protein.

Costco also has some other protein bars that are pretty good.

For those that live in Canada, I would imagine you can order these from places like bodybuilding.com.
  • lisamgould
    lisamgould Posts: 68
    Options
    I love the Titan Bars. I cut each one up into three pieces and rebag. That is 109 calories, 9grams of protein, any flavor taste excellent. Great recovery food as well.