strength training, heavy lifting, dieting...new at this!

Options
ETA: sorry, this should have been under fitness & exercise, I'm moving it now!

Well I've been using MFP for about 3 weeks now and seeing some really great results, just from the calorie deficit. I've finally gotten over my plateau of 145lbs, I've been stuck at for probably 8 years (minus during pregnancies). I'm breast feeding now, so that could be contributing also. I really don't exercise much, maybe 10 minutes of strength training here and there on the Wii Fit. Well from reading a lot of topics on here, I'm finding that in order to get toned, I need to do heavy lifting. I'm all for it, if that's what it takes! I just have some questions.
- Are there some basic weights I can get for at home use, since I stay home with 2 kids during the day, or do I absolutely need to get a gym membership? Which weights should I invest in? My bf thinks the weights will break through the floor, but I know I wont be using that heavy of weights for a long time.
- Should I get some protein powder for when I start lifting? Does it matter what kind? Should I up my caloric intake?
- Is the strength training on the Wii fit helping me?
- Am I going to stop losing weight once I start lifting since I'll be putting on muscle?

Thanks in advance! This is the story that made me really want to start lifting: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/