Unmotivated with little to no time.

Options
Hello!
I've been using myfitnesspal for a little over a week now and I think I am starting to understand how to reach my calorie goal. Unfortunatley I am struggling with finding time to work out. I work full time, first time mother and between work, dishes, laundry, play time, nap time, dinner, and my husband. I find little to no time to work out.

Anyone have any ideas for effective, easy and time consuming exercises I can do at home to help jump start my work outs.

:):)

Replies

• azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the housework and make your husband pitch in. I know, that sounds impossible. But, I'll admit to my housework dipping since I started exercising. One thing that helps me is go straight to the gym from work. It seems like, if I go home first, I never make it to the gym.
  • Cntewell
    Options
    I know it has been said before but it is the truth. You need to make time for yourself in order to keep yourself healthy and happy for all the other things in your life. Can you get up a little earlier and go for a walk? Maybe hubby will take care of the kiddo in the morning so you can go to the gym or workout at home. Good luck
  • leighllf
    Options
    Hello! I found the same thing, but I also feel so much better after I work out. I would recommend getting a video like JM 30 day Shred It is a quick and effective workout. It is 28 mins for beginning to end. I can ususally burn 400 calories with it, too!

Good luch and dont give up! I really think you can loose with diet restrictions only, but will take longer.

Leigh
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to sugar coat it. Honestly, you need to make you and getting yourself healthy a priority.

"I have no time" is really synonymous with "I don't care enough about this". I know because that is the exact same excuse I used to use. I would use all manner of things as justifications as to why I "never" had time to work out, make good choices, etc.

Ask your husband to help out, do work outs during nap time, make less time-intensive meals or cook ahead of time for the week so you don't have to do as much during the week. Losing weight and getting on a health track is going to take planning, time and discipline, especially if you're already busy.

Make time for you and getting fit as indespensible as nap time, play time, dinner time, dishes, etc. You're worth it.
  • charlene_1980
    Options
    This:
    Cut back on the housework and make your husband pitch in. I know, that sounds impossible. But, I'll admit to my housework dipping since I started exercising. One thing that helps me is go straight to the gym from work. It seems like, if I go home first, I never make it to the gym.

And this:
    I'm not going to sugar coat it. Honestly, you need to make you and getting yourself healthy a priority.

"I have no time" is really synonymous with "I don't care enough about this". I know because that is the exact same excuse I used to use. I would use all manner of things as justifications as to why I "never" had time to work out, make good choices, etc.

Ask your husband to help out, do work outs during nap time, make less time-intensive meals or cook ahead of time for the week so you don't have to do as much during the week. Losing weight and getting on a health track is going to take planning, time and discipline, especially if you're already busy.

Make time for you and getting fit as indespensible as nap time, play time, dinner time, dishes, etc. You're worth it.

I'm a working mom of 5 young ones and trust me, I'd pay to be able to go back to the days of being a SAHM... I used to have every excuse in the book and now that I'm getting older and busier, I realize that I NEED to make time for myself. I'm not sure if your hubby is on board with you. If he is, great, he'll make it easier for you by watching the little one or doing the dishes to give you a little time. If he's not on board, well, a dirty plate in the sink and dirty underwear might make him step up and help out more and even if it doesn't, dirty dishes left for an hour and toys scattered about never killed anyone (well, maybe, but... you get what I'm saying)
  • charlene_1980
    Options
    And, the Jillian Michaels thing.. get her DVD's if that's more your style and more do-able than hitting the gym or going for a walk!

Best of luck to you in your journey!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You have to want this, and you have to make it a priority. I used to tell myself the same things you do, as I am a mom of two small children, work full time outside the home, etc. etc. I finally realized that I was the only one holding myself back....so I talked to my husband about my goals and figured out how he could help me achieve them, and I get up at 4 am to work out. Yes, it's early, but it's the best time for me. You can do it, good luck!
  • gellolicious
    Options
    I know feel your pain! And "you need to make time for yourself" is easier said than done. "Get up earlier" or "Go to bed later", when you're only getting precious few hours (if your lucky) of sleep a night, you cannot spare a minute of sleep.

Does your baby go to daycare? Maybe you can fit in a workout before you pick her up. My 18 month old is in daycare 3 days a week and I work out on those days before I pick him up.

When I started this journey I didn't exercise at all and still lost weight. I'm just starting to get exercise and it's still pretty inconsistent.

Good luck! Remember, this is the toughest time that you are going through. Up until that baby is three, don't be hard on yourself! :)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I work out after my daughter has gone to bed at night. I find that if I change into my workout clothes right after work and before I start dinner I have a much better chance of making it to the gym or out to run. As working moms know it's all about scheduling... just make it another addition to the schedule.
  • StephC74
    StephC74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Forget the gym and find something that works for you. You don't have to work out for a long time everyday set small goals for yourself. I have been doing the 30 day shred because it its short and a good workout. I only do it 3 times a week but I am getting stronger and losing weight. Just dance is also a good cardio workout and fun to do if you have a wii. The easiest thing for me when my kids were small was to stick the baby in a stroller and go for a walk. If you can find a friend to do this with it makes it even easier. As my kids got older we would meet at the local high school and walk laps around the track while the kids rode bikes. Anything that gets you moving will help.
  • Carolyn72
    Carolyn72 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know feel your pain! And "you need to make time for yourself" is easier said than done. "Get up earlier" or "Go to bed later", when you're only getting precious few hours (if your lucky) of sleep a night, you cannot spare a minute of sleep.

Does your baby go to daycare? Maybe you can fit in a workout before you pick her up. My 18 month old is in daycare 3 days a week and I work out on those days before I pick him up.

When I started this journey I didn't exercise at all and still lost weight. I'm just starting to get exercise and it's still pretty inconsistent.

Good luck! Remember, this is the toughest time that you are going through. Up until that baby is three, don't be hard on yourself! :)

Amen, sister!

I am a SAHM of four, and for two years I was watching another infant 55-60 hours/day. Some people think being at home automatically makes it easier to work out, but in reality, there is no way to have a decent continuous workout with little ones around! All moms of toddlers know EXACTLY what I mean! Working out at home is difficult for any woman, SAHM or WM because there is always something distracting you, whether it is a needy child, a sink of dishes, or a hubby that can't find his whatever-he-needs at the moment. You've got to get to a distraction-free zone so you can put the focus on yourself. I was only able to accomplish this with regularity this year, so I know where you're coming from!

If your child is in daycare, I agree with the above writer. Unless you are already pressed against the daycare provider's time limit, steal 30-60 minutes for yourself before or after work for fitness. Or maybe you could do something on your lunch hour (with it being winter, I know this may be impossible for the time being, too). If nothing else, make the weekend "Your Time." It may not be much, but it's more than you were doing before, right?? As your child becomes older and more independent (errr...and your hubby as well), you can build up.

Feel free to add me so we can motivate each other!

Feel free to add me
  • elleruffin
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not a mom (yet), but I am a newlywed, and I know how important it is to have the support of your Husband. I think once your Hubby sees you are committed and hears from you your genuine desire to make exercise apart of your daily regimen, he will hopefully do more to support you.

Also, instead of thinking about exercise in big chunks, maybe you could break it down into three 15 minute sessions! One in the morning, one during your lunch break, and one after you get home, around your neighborhood! That adds up to 45 minutes, which is totally doable.

My Hubby and I don't have a car, so we do alot of walking to train stations, bus stops and nearby stores. You would be surprised how those 15 minute walks add up! Some days I end up burning 150-200 extra calories just from those unexpected walks!

Also, myfitness pal has categories for 'light cleaning' in the exercise tabs!

Try to think outside of the box in terms of how you can get your exercise in, until you can get a routine that is ideal for you. There are always ways for you to sneak in 15 minutes in your day to get in a good, brisk walk, clear your head, and go back to what you were doing.

Hope this is helpful :-)
  • ViSabbi
    ViSabbi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There's also exercises that can be done with the baby, like yoga and why not just for for a walk pushing the carriage. And the other thing I was going to say has already been said: 30DS
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Combine nap time for baby with a brisk walk/jog for mom.
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I'm right there with you. My son is dropped off at daycare at 8am and picked up at 6pm. Then it's home to do dinner/play/bath/bedtime/clean and by then it's 9pm! I have an hour to do *something* before I crash at 10pm, and then get up to do it all again at 6am!

Thankfully, my husband is also trying to lose weight right now, so if I can't make anything else happen he will hold me accountable and make me do 30DS with him at 9pm.

I've negotiated at least two nights a week at the gym (after he gets home at 7-7:30), and on those days I cook a quick dinner, eat, change, and am off. He does cleanup/bath/bedtime those nights by himself. In return, he gets to go for happy hour any non-gym day he likes.

I always say I'm going to go to the gym on the weekend, but that's really hard to make happen. I shoot for 3 days at the gym/going running per week. Two is great, any exercise beyond that is bonus. There's no way I can exercise during breaks at work - first, I barely get a break, and second, I've never understood how anyone can go back to work all sweaty! So, I just squeeze something in when I can, and try to be happy with that. Yes, it's making weight loss slow right now but it's all I can manage and I'll get there eventually!
  • Mylissa6
    Mylissa6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If the weather is decent you can alway go for a walk with your baby in the stroller. Even if the weather isn't nice maybe there is a mall near by that you can go to and walk around. When my kids were toddlers I found that just playing outside with them or dancing to Big Bird dance party or Elmosize was fun and engaging for all of us. Good luck and enjoy your new life as a mom.
  • myf1101
    Options
    Leave some of the housework for a bit and either get an exercise dvd to work out to or if you have a Wii get one of the wii fit, active sport or just dance games as these are fun and will give you a good workout. Alternative buy a cheap exercise bike and use that. I used to get up early in the morning and do half an hour before thechildren woke, when they were small and I have gone back to doing this now (before they get up and laugh at me - there is nothing less demotivating that having two teenagers killing themselves laughing at your efforts).
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    You can have the kids exercise with you. Pop in a 30-minute workout DVD or combine a bunch of the Barney, Wiggles, etc segments where they have you work out into a DVD and do it with the kids. They will have fun, and you will too!
  • ashleyp35
    Options
    I am a single parent and work full time. I find time out of my day to workout at least 6 times a week. Get up and go, as simple as that. Make time for yourself
  • archgrrrl
    Options
    Oh man - it is SO hard when you're not able to get enough rest! I feel you.

The husband and I are up by 5am with our 15 month old who doesn't sleep well to begin with and is up several times a night. We drop him off at daycare at 7am - go to work, pick him up at 5:30 pm. Rush home to dinner and then playtime with our son until 7:00-7:30pm and then it's a mad dash to pick up the house, clean up the kitchen, pack lunches, fold a load of laundry, and get to bed as quickly as possible to maximize what little sleep we DO get.

It gets to be very overwhelming.

One thing that has helped us is walking during our lunch hour (we work close together so we meet up at a local park). We also make a point to be more active with our toddler on the weekends.

Baby steps :)