Diet Pills and Caffeine!

Options
I see so many posts on here about diet pills from new users and then regulars preach about how they make your heart race and are so bad for you. however, most diet pills are caffeine based. Caffeine, in itself is not completely bad unless you over-do it. So really people are just preaching about caffeine and how it "makes your heart race", but at the same time I wonder how many of these people so adamant against diet pills drink a cup of coffee in the morning or drink tea regularly (knowing the average cup of coffee has 100mg of caffeine and some up to 260 and that most americans drink more than 1 cup per day).

Sure some diet pills expect you to take high amounts, up to 320mg of caffeine per serving, from the sounds of it though it sounds like most americans have around that much a day. So really the only danger in taking diet pills would be taking too many right?

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    So really the only danger in taking diet pills would be taking too many right?

It depends which pill you're talking about. Many diet pills have a variety of side effects, not just those caused by caffeine.

And sure, one diet pill may "only" have 320mg of caffeine (ie, 3 cups of coffee), but the caffeine goes into your system all at once, instead of slowly throughout the day as it would for a person drinking 3 cups of coffee over the course of a work day. Plus, with most diet pills you don't just take 1 a day. Some you take a pill twice a day, or even 2x pills twice a day.

I know some people feel very strongly about pills and get angry when you suggest they're not very good for you, so I'm not trying to stir up drama. Just saying is all. I tried hydroxycut once (the ephedrine-free kind). You start out taking 1 pill 3 times a day and work your way up to 2 pills 3 times a day... well I didn't even make it to the 6 pills a day stage. I don't usually have bad reactions to caffeine but even after just the first pill I got light-headed and nauseous, and my heart was racing. I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, and generally felt awful. I sure as heck couldn't go to the gym! I wasn't "over-doing it," according to the pill instructions, but clearly it was having a negative effect on my body.
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I take one thats all natural - has capsimax and acai berry and a TON of B12- works wonders, and no caffeine :o) I've lost 70 lbs with it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So really the only danger in taking diet pills would be taking too many right?

It depends which pill you're talking about. Many diet pills have a variety of side effects, not just those caused by caffeine.

And sure, one diet pill may "only" have 320mg of caffeine (ie, 3 cups of coffee), but the caffeine goes into your system all at once, instead of slowly throughout the day as it would for a person drinking 3 cups of coffee over the course of a work day. Plus, with most diet pills you don't just take 1 a day. Some you take a pill twice a day, or even 2x pills twice a day.

I know some people feel very strongly about pills and get angry when you suggest they're not very good for you, so I'm not trying to stir up drama. Just saying is all. I tried hydroxycut once (the ephedrine-free kind). You start out taking 1 pill 3 times a day and work your way up to 2 pills 3 times a day... well I didn't even make it to the 6 pills a day stage. I don't usually have bad reactions to caffeine but even after just the first pill I got light-headed and nauseous, and my heart was racing. I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing, and generally felt awful. I sure as heck couldn't go to the gym! I wasn't "over-doing it," according to the pill instructions, but clearly it was having a negative effect on my body.

I have some sensitivities to caffeine. In college I took caffeine pills to study and I found out they triggered panic attacks. Now I sometimes even get them without lots of caffeine, but my first one I got with a combination of too much caffeine and stress.

Some people may be able to take 6 pills just fine, others not. I just think people should know their bodies more before putting in too much of a stimulant.