Conspiracy theory: The Girls Scouts of America

Options
cekeys
cekeys Posts: 397 Member
Anyone else notice that they start selling cookies at the same time people quit going to the gym & give up their New Year's resolutions?

**Cue the spooky music**

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Move to the UK, you'll get about 2 door-to-door sales people calling at your door in your whole life & they wont be selling cookies haha.
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    Girl Scout cookie sales vary depending on region. Smart thing to do is help the neighbor girl, but a couple of boxes and freeze them for when you have young relatives visiting (who always look for a snack). My grandkids get 4 cookies each when they come visit.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those few people that don't like Girl Scout cookies. But I usually purchase 1 or 2 boxes for the cause and take to work and share.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had a girl in my troop who every year always managed to sell hundreds of boxes of cookies - but yet she and her family kept a macrobiotic diet and they weren't allowed to have any. I call conspiracy on that!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    This was the first year I bought girl scout cookies. I wasn't planning on eating them, but like others said I was just trying to help the girl out. To my surprise, I didn't get the cookies and didn't pay for anything the day she knocked on my door, apparently you have to reserve them? Haha. That was about 5-6 weeks ago, and they won't be here till March she said. Has it always been like that?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We're gluten free so we're safe from the cookies. If you want to support them but not buy cookies you can either donate directly to the troop (this way they get to keep all the money instead of a small fraction. The rest of the cookie money goes to pay the bakers and then is divided among other Girl Scout areas like salaries, camp maintenance, etc. The troop gets about $.40 a box (at least that's what they got when I was a troop leader.)) Or you can ask the girls if their troop is donating to the local food bank. This way if someone wants to support GS but doesn't want the cookies they can give the cookies to the local food bank and give a treat to someone who probably couldn't afford the cookies.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    We're gluten free so we're safe from the cookies.

I heard they are developing a gluten free cookie from my friend.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Girl Scouts set up shop in front of grocery stores here....and don't take credit. I rarely to never carry cash on me, so even if I wanted to pig out on a box of delicious thin mints, I couldn't. Best way to go about it.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    We're gluten free so we're safe from the cookies. If you want to support them but not buy cookies you can either donate directly to the troop (this way they get to keep all the money instead of a small fraction. The rest of the cookie money goes to pay the bakers and then is divided among other Girl Scout areas like salaries, camp maintenance, etc. The troop gets about $.40 a box (at least that's what they got when I was a troop leader.)) Or you can ask the girls if their troop is donating to the local food bank. This way if someone wants to support GS but doesn't want the cookies they can give the cookies to the local food bank and give a treat to someone who probably couldn't afford the cookies.

This made me mad when I found this out a couple years ago. Prices have gone through the roof and the boxes have gotten smaller (as with all food products) and the girls get next to nothing. I haven't bought any in years, if I had local girls in my neighborhood selling them I would likely just give them money. (Ooooh but thin mints.... *drool*)
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was the Cookie Mother for all three daughters' troops. I still remember how many cases fit in my living room. Our sales are in the Fall. We appreciated cash donations because we got the whole thing. $5 is a huge donation. We got about 40 cents on a box and the rest went to Council.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    As a former girl scout leader I actually agree with this. It is very spooky lol. I truly believe the girl scout cookie is the death of new years resolutions I know it has always ended mine lol.

In my local area (Kansas) they are 3.50 now and the girls get 35 cents a box for the troop. Now thats not too bad but it is a lot of work and I don;t miss it. Miss my girls and the extra time with my daughters but not the aggravation.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a Brownie...we took possession of 11 cases over the weekend, and I currently have 7 boxes in my office (for sale, $3.50 each)...I'm ok as long as nobody opens the Thin Mints...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'd rather buy cookies than a message from Jeebus...
  • carrie1013
    Options
    I somehow ended up being "cookie mom" for my daughter's troop. Imagine having about 50 cases sitting in your house...calling your name :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,970 Member
    Options
    When they set up a table outside the gym -- that's going too far!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    When they set up a table outside the gym -- that's going too far!

My sister and her troop set up a table IN the gym once. I helped them sell. We sat close to the locker rooms and targeted the sweaty guys coming out. We sold 4 cases in 2 hours. And no, I'm not ashamed.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone that sells them, so I've never had them.