The Ab Roller

Options
Alright so what's the secret to using the ab roller... you know, the wheel that you roll out and back (look on you tube if you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about!). I have used something similar a few years ago in college when I was in good shape, and I bought one the other day and can't do it. Even when I do it just about to the point where I'm going to fall, I pull it back in but don't feel A THING in my abs- but my arms hurt! Of course, my boyfriend who never works out, but is a 6'2" string bean:grumble: , can do it perfectly and his abs have been hurting for days as a result- that's what I want!! :tongue:

Anyone ever successfully use it, and have any tips, or suggestions of what I could be doing wrong? I want my abs to scream!:laugh:

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Alright so what's the secret to using the ab roller... you know, the wheel that you roll out and back (look on you tube if you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about!). I have used something similar a few years ago in college when I was in good shape, and I bought one the other day and can't do it. Even when I do it just about to the point where I'm going to fall, I pull it back in but don't feel A THING in my abs- but my arms hurt! Of course, my boyfriend who never works out, but is a 6'2" string bean:grumble: , can do it perfectly and his abs have been hurting for days as a result- that's what I want!! :tongue:

Anyone ever successfully use it, and have any tips, or suggestions of what I could be doing wrong? I want my abs to scream!:laugh:
  • plussizemommy
    Options
    I have one too and it doesn't do anything for me either lol!! But, the one they used to have out, the one that you layed down and used? That one made my abs ache!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is no secret

it is HARD if you are doin it right

start with a short roll out until you can go out and hold it

it is a great exercise but it is HARD
  • plussizemommy
    Options
    well, i roll it out all the way but when i roll back in, i don't feel it in my abs, i feel it in my arms?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    then u are doin it wrong...it aint called the arm roller

is your body straight...head down?
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I have the old one too, couldn't do a sit up without it. "neck problems" I was thinking of getting the new one, but maybe not. I didn't think it would be complicated. I will just stick with the "oldy but goody".
    Good luck
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I have the old one too, couldn't do a sit up without it. "neck problems" I was thinking of getting the new one, but maybe not. I didn't think it would be complicated. I will just stick with the "oldy but goody".
    Good luck

ooops

we must be talkin about different things

the ab roller I am talkin bout is a wheel with handles in each side of the wheel,,,it isnt for situps
    sorry
  • Treadly
    Treadly Posts: 17
    Options
    When you are using the ab roller with wheels correctly you will feel a burn. 1st think of it as a reverse crunch and second always have a mental focus on your abs while doing the excersise, and 3rd but most important inhale while rolling out and exhale while retracting.

Practice a few at times and you will be stud muffin in no time!!
  • Balentine
    Options
    I too have the same problem with the ab roller. How many ab rolls are you doing at one time? The only time I have really felt my abs hurt is from a video I bought at the book store called 12 minute Abs. I loved it, used it some. But I am not one to work out at home. Too many distractions. Have you ever tried Jazzercise?:smile:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Practice a few at times and you will be stud muffin in no time!!

A stud muffin, huh? Gotta go practice... :wink:
  • OLifter25
    Options
    The ab roller is a great tool, but most people don't have the core strength to be doing the exercise from that angle. Start by doing the same motion with your elbows on a stability ball. Eventually you will be able to lower the angle of the stability ball by using smaller and smaller balls until you have finally reached the ab roller height. Keep in mind that perfect technique would be keeping legs, hips, back, neck and head all aligned. Do not round or hyperextend your back while doing the motion. If you feel like the pressure is too much on your arms than your body is overcompensating somewhere and throwing something out of alignment.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    FINALLY... I did it! I had been trying for a while when I posted my original post, and finally today I did it and it felt great :happy:

Thanks for all of the help, everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Good luck

ooops

we must be talkin about different things

the ab roller I am talkin bout is a wheel with handles in each side of the wheel,,,it isnt for situps
    sorry

OOOOOH I love the ab roller you're talking about. So hard but feels good!