Question about zones on HRM

Options
I have a Polar FT60 Heart Rate Monitor Watch. It tells me how much time I need to spend in zones 1-3 during the week. I always seem to easily burn in zone 3, and go over the amount I’m supposed to be there. Zone 1 is the hardest. My heart rate needs to be slower there, and honestly I don’t feel like I’m getting as good a workout when I’m in that zone. I have to constantly slow down to stay there. But that’s the zone where fat burning supposedly happens. What should I be focusing on…and is going over the highest heart rate I should be at bad? I’m 34, and trying to lose 14 pounds, so I want to make sure I’m exercising correctly and getting the maximum effect. Is it possible my zones are set up incorrectly?

Replies

• cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    alim10,

The zones on a HRM watch can be a bit deceiving and are designed to be pretty generic and based on averages. The Fat burning heartrate zone was designed for someone with a large weight loss and hasn't exercised before. The HRM has the capacity to test you personally to see where your limits are for the day.

With a Polar, I'm going to suggest you set your heart rate limits to the OwnZone. When you start your workout, click Settings > HR Limits & pick OwnZone. it's going to take you through a 4 minute warmup and each section is designated by a triangle:
    1. Slow walking (1 min) »
    2. Regular pace walking (1 min) »»
    3. Fast walking (1 min) »»»
    4. Jogging (1 min) »»»»

During that time the HRM is testing your heart to see how well it's transitioning and how well it's maintaining the heartrate at the various exersion levels. Once its done testing you'll get the results and what should be your optimal rate for exercising for that day. You can change the intensity from light, moderate to heavy depending on how you're feeling.