Running shoes!

Options
Can anybody suggest some great running shoes? I am in desperate need of a new pair.

Replies

• sportyskylar
    Options
    I use puma running shoes. They last forever, and I never get tired of being in them. I have underarmor running shoes but they're known to hurt after a while. I have every kind of underarmor athletic gear there is, but I would never recommend their running shoes!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    no one can tell you one shoe is better for you except at a running store ( a real one) that will look at your stride and pair you with the correct shoe for you , its well worth the trip
    that said i love aisics , good luck!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I was forced to buy a new pair of shoes when I was on vacation in Las Vegas (didn't take comfortable shoes..oops). I got a pair of ugly black Mizuno Wave Creation running shoes.....but they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had.
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    Vibram Five Fingers - start slowly and forget everything else.
  • willnme1
    Options
    I love my asics as well! I went to a running store and they fit you for sneakers that are right for you.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    all I can tell you is don't go for fashion! go for comfort and fit! my sandal size is a 9'12 - 10 (womens) but my sports therapist said I need more room for running so now I wear a size 11 running/walking shoe so my toes have space and I no longer get black and blue toenails and I feel better after my walk/runs.
  • Kubiastic
    Options
    I am a runner and have been for 18 years. If you want propper running shoes go to a running store that films your stride and gives you what is best for your stride. Well worth the investment. Foot injuries take forever to get over. When you know what type of running shoe you need, you can purchase from any sporting good store.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    no one can tell you one shoe is better for you except at a running store ( a real one) that will look at your stride and pair you with the correct shoe for you , its well worth the trip
    that said i love aisics , good luck!
    yeah i went to runners world and they do all that stuff and put you in the best type great store and not really overpriced ... oh and saucony FTW
  • stward9280
    Options
    Just go to a real shoe store and pay what it takes for a good pair of shoes. Your body will punish you if you try to go cheap.
  • njfitnessgirl
    Options
    I would also suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for a good shoe. I just went and got fitted for the first time and they were awesome.
  • gameovergt
    Options
    Under Armour.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and have been for 18 years. If you want propper running shoes go to a running store that films your stride and gives you what is best for your stride. Well worth the investment. Foot injuries take forever to get over. When you know what type of running shoe you need, you can purchase from any sporting good store.

^ This. It's an investment you won't be sorry for.

Oh, and get over any ideas about what you really want them to look like. When you're in mile 10 and your ankles are killing you, you'll be wishing you had gotten the less attractive more comfortable ones than the ones that matched your shorts.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options

^ This. It's an investment you won't be sorry for.

Oh, and get over any ideas about what you really want them to look like. When you're in mile 10 and your ankles are killing you, you'll be wishing you had gotten the less attractive more comfortable ones than the ones that matched your shorts.

Both of these are spot on! Hope you find the right shoe for you, it makes all the difference!
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    I LOVE my New Balance Minimus. So much that I got two different color pair to coordinate with outfits ;) haha but I wear em even if they dont match! Road Runner sports does a shoe analysis. I insisted on going minimal but I tried every pair I could on
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    I love Brooks! But like everyone has said going to a running store will make all the difference.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    +1 to everybody who said "go to a real running store". What works on my size 14, overpronating gunboats with orthotics probably won't work for a 125 lb runner with a high arch and a narrow foot.

Find a running store with (1) a couple of treadmills and a camera system, and (2) a really liberal return policy. Even the experts sometimes miss with the first shot.

Example: I recent;y needed new shoes because I'd worn through the sockliner on my Nikes and was starting to get blisters. I went to Boulder Running Company, and they put me in a pair of Asics Gel Kayanos. They felt wonderful on the treadmill.

Unfortunately, they didn't work in the real world. I ran in them two times, once on the mill and once outdoors. Both times, my right knee started hurting about 2-2.5 miles into the run. The second time was at about 15 minutes to closing time for the store. I was planning on leaving town early the next morning for a business trip, and I really wanted to have running shoes with me.

So I called Boulder Running, explained the situation to them, and they made sure to keep the store open until a bit after closing for me so we could try out a few other pairs of shoes for longer distances before making a final decision. I finally landed in Brooks Addictions, and walked out of the store with the $50 price difference between the Asics and Brooks shoes tucked in my back pocket. That's why you pay full retail at the running store, and that's why it's worth it.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    agree with the others. get measured, will save you injuries in the long run. I've stopped getting bad hip pain since i got mine last november. The type of shoe you try will depend on your gait analysis and other tests. Im an asics girl myself! love them!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Yep. Running store again. I love my Brooks Pure Connects, but wouldn't have bought them w/o someone looking at my gait to make sure they work for me.