Lunges?

Options
I have problems with my knees. is there an alternative for doing lunges? I will take any advice.

Replies

• tabbyh25
    tabbyh25 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have problems with my knees. is there an alternative for doing lunges? I will take any advice.
  • yogiaidan12
    Options
    try yoga. it has all the advantages of lunges, core training, and cardio(if you so choose) and it's easy on the body. with yoga it's not about doing it perfect; it's about doing it perfect for YOU.:bigsmile:
  • OLifter25
    Options
    Try building up the stability around your ankle, knee and hip joints first. Good way to do that is simple balance exercises and techniques (Single leg balance, single leg balance w/ eyes closed, single leg balance with rotation etc.). Also try single leg squats (keeping hips square and back in neutral) and body weight squats. Be sure not to let the knees slip inward or out of alignment of your second toe. Lunges take some flexibility and stability in order to perform them with proper technique. Most people lack the flexibility for a full lunge and lose neutral back on the way down (round back or hyperextend in order to compensate for lack of hip flexibility). Make sure you keep your back in neutral posture while doing ALL strength training exercises.

If you lack flexibility in the hips be sure to use a dynamic stretching routine or foam roll before your workout and static stretching routine after. Static stretching shuts down CNS, which is not what we want before a strength training routine.