Exercise = Eat More Food?

Options
13»

Replies

• monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I think if you are hungry you should eat the extra calories. If you are not, then don't. So I guess my answer is, sometimes I eat them and sometimes I don't.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you are one who eats more food because you earned it, are you still losing weight?

I ate my exercise calories and lost about 52 pounds in nine months. I've been keeping it off (and have actually lost about ten more pounds) since meeting my original goal back in February.

I'm 5'9", 40, female and 140 pounds. I usually eat between 2300 and 2700 calories a day.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    <
    May I present Exhibit A?

- Size 24W to Size 6 jeans
    - 56% body fat to 22% body fat
    - 45.5" waist to 26.25" waist
    - Eats her exercise calories

I'm still fairly new here.
    So it's a simple game of "follow the leader".
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I try to eat 5 small meals a day sometimes 6 (not counting a protien shake on days that I weight train). Yes, there is a LOT of talk about eating the calories back and eating to lose weight. I personally listen to my body, if I am hungry I eat a snack, if I am WAY worn down and I can tell my energy is low..again I eat a snack.
  • Brittonloves
    Options
    I JUST started logging my exercise on here (though I have been exercising with a trainer 3x a week for 2 months now) and am trying to watch my net calories instead of just food calories. But I have to admit... it's kind of scary! When I see that I've eaten 1800 calories in a day, I definitely have a little moment of panic because I've gotten used to eating so little and that number seems so high. Then I look at my net calories and it's under or at my goal and I breathe and say "Trust the process". I've lost 35 lbs total, so I'm hoping this change will help with the last stubborn bit.

That being said, I don't have an HRM (although I really want one!) so I have to use averages to plug in my exercise. I've been using this website: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc and in order to be conservative with it, I usually use "moderate" instead of "vigorous" where applicable, AND I log my hour with my trainer as 40-45 minutes instead of 60. Hopefully that keeps me close to the real #...
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I am a great example of "eat to lose". For the last 6-8 months I just stopped losing weight. I kept lowering my calories thinking that would help. I was on a 1600 calorie diet by the end of it and exercising 6-7 days a week burning around an average of 800-1000 HRM calories a day. You would think the weight would fall off me huh? Nope. Not at all.

A few weeks ago I decided to try the "eat more, lose more" method everyone talks about. I mean, what is the worst that could happen? I gain,? Well, I haven't lost, so why not? I raised my calorie intake to 2100, which helped me exercise even more( around 1100 HRM calories burned each day).

I lost 4 pounds in a week! 5.5 in 2 weeks!!! I did gain 1.5 back because I had a really tough time cause my dog died and I ate some really bad foods and got take out like 5 times but seriously. (Thank goodness I'm on track again) The scale hasn't moved like that since I first started! Come to think of it, I was on a 2000 calorie diet all the time I was losing weight like crazy.

I mean, there is no way I can eat back my calories....that would be 3200 cals a day but eating 2100ish is working great for me. I think that if you are on a lower calorie diet and you don't work out as much, eating them back would be just fine. Of course everyone is different but its worth a try if nothing else has worked, right?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I EAT MORE FOOD. O yes. I love food. And I still lose!! INFACT, when I started eating more I broke through my plateau! yay for food! :laugh: