Running good or bad?

Options
I was hoping to run a 5k (okay jog and maybe briskly walk) in May. My husband went to our chiropractor yesterday and while making small talk brought up that I started this Couch to 5K. My chiro was very opposed and said I was NOT ready for that...
Running was not good!
I don't know why he would make such a statement.
I am just starting it, it is a walk, jog combo that build up as weeks go by. Not sure how this is different than the 30 mins of cardio I get from zumba class or my 30 min of circuit training at Curves (sometimes I combine the two for a 60 min workout).
Isn't getting off my *kitten* and doing something better than being a slug on the sofa?? I am down 20lbs and want another 20 down before summer!

Replies

• Dokks
    Dokks Posts: 16
    Options
    He might be concerned about your knees and ankles which can take a beating when running. However, if you're in relatively good health then I would advise seeing an MD for a check-up and let her/him know you would like to start running and see what his/her opinion is. (Wow terrible English grammar there LOL!)
  • cinderbay
    cinderbay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I should have said I already saw my physician and had a complete physical. He is not a thin guy himself and we talked weight and health issues for a long time. He is also a friend outside of practice so we speak pretty frank and candidly to each other. He saw no reason I should not bump up my workout routine. But not to go full force into it. When I found the couch to 5k it seems like a reasonable start. My first times out I did not really feel strain on my knees, joints, ankles, etc. Nor did my feet hurt after, and I am recovering from plantar faciitis.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Chiropracters are not an MD. They don't have extensive medical training nor do they understand the in's and out's of the body. I'm not hating on them, but really if your physician is OK with it then go ahead. I would suggest that if you want to start running start slow and use a C25k program as you have selected. Listen to your body and progress at your own pace.
  • cinderbay
    cinderbay Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and progress at your own pace.
    That is exactly what I am doing. I may stay at each level for 2 weeks rather than the one week. Pacing myself.

Now finding a place to run in the frozen tundra is another story!
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Chiropracters are not an MD. They don't have extensive medical training nor do they understand the in's and out's of the body. I'm not hating on them, but really if your physician is OK with it then go ahead. I would suggest that if you want to start running start slow and use a C25k program as you have selected. Listen to your body and progress at your own pace.

yep. Your doc thinks it's good and the chiro thinks different. Let's see, years of med school, internship, residency, and examines you more in depth than the chiro with his 2 years of study to get a certificate.

Absolutely, listen to your body and your doctor.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    There is a myth floating around about running and it being bad for people. It actually isn't. People who have issues with the higher impact have said issues because they either A) have previous injuries that simply cannot handle any impact, or B) they're running with bad form, which is putting pressure and stress on areas where it shouldn't be.

Look up a few articles on good running form on Google. There are great tips that keep you aware of body position, and running with good suspension to prevent injury. If you have good pelvis suspension, and land properly, you won't hurt yourself, as long as you follow your body's cues and don't over-train.
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k on Saturday after only completing 6 weeks of the c25k. I stopped three times for a short distance and ran the rest. It can be done you just have to push yourself. You can do it! How does a chiropractor know if your ready or not?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running is terrible for you!

It only leads to more running and then entering races and generally kicking *kitten*! That and your uterus will fall out.

Don't say you weren't warned...
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Any form of physical activity can be harmful to our body's if not performed correctly and in moderation. I think what the Chiro was thinking is that you were just going to throw yourself into a 5k, which obviously is not what you are doing. Just start small and listen to your body. No one else...not even a board certified MD, can tell you how your body is feeling. Since you are already at a level of doing 30min Zumba and sometimes 60min circuits I think that you would be fine as long as you build up to it. Be sure to do some dynamic streches first before starting, do the work out or training run, cool down and then finish off with some static stretching. Be sure to stretch and listen to your body. You want to prevent injuries that will allow you to continue with the training. If it injured then stop....if you feel pain just back off a little.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to run a 5k (okay jog and maybe briskly walk) in May. My husband went to our chiropractor yesterday and while making small talk brought up that I started this Couch to 5K. My chiro was very opposed and said I was NOT ready for that...
    Running was not good!
    I don't know why he would make such a statement.
    I am just starting it, it is a walk, jog combo that build up as weeks go by. Not sure how this is different than the 30 mins of cardio I get from zumba class or my 30 min of circuit training at Curves (sometimes I combine the two for a 60 min workout).
    Isn't getting off my *kitten* and doing something better than being a slug on the sofa?? I am down 20lbs and want another 20 down before summer!

Tell you husband to get a new doctor. One that has a focus in exercise science. ( I go to sports medicine chiropractor, though not very often as I don’t need it as often as I loose weight)Running is great for you. As for your not "ready for It" I ran my first marathon weighing over 300 pounds. I think I was at 345-360 when I did my first 5k. Take your time a pace yourself. Listing to your body if it starts to hurt take a day or two to rest. Above all else stop listing to other people telling you what you and your body can do. Only you know what you can handle. Go out a kill that race. Then send the doctor email telling him how well you did and you almost didn't do it based on his biased nonrunner advise.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Running may lead to a severe addiction to wanting to go faster and train harder than you ever have before.. careful it creeps up on you !
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just get a good pair of shoes and have some fun
  • thedrummer1978
    thedrummer1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

It only leads to more running and then entering races and generally kicking *kitten*! That and your uterus will fall out.

:laugh: :laugh: Is that what that strange feeling was when I ran on Sunday?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Ha ha! Starting C2YK next week myself and utterly hope it will lead to an addiction!
  • jenniakers
    Options

yep. Your doc thinks it's good and the chiro thinks different. Let's see, years of med school, internship, residency, and examines you more in depth than the chiro with his 2 years of study to get a certificate.

Absolutely, listen to your body and your doctor.

*nods* Yeppers!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Running is good when I'm done...bad while I'm doing it! LOL!
    I started C25K about 50 pounds heavier than I am now, it was a bit rougher on my joints at that point, but it also helped jump start losing the remainder of the weight. Now my joints still scream at me during and after I run, not nearly as loud though, but that has more to do with 40 years of use and abuse than the running.
    If you think you can handle it, I say go for it.
  • sig1238
    Options
    If you're in good health, preparing for a 5K in May should be completely doable. Definitely invest in quality socks and running shoes, crank up your MP3 player, and get going. Build distance and speed gradually, and enjoy the experience.

Annoy your chiro. Ask him to be your race sponsor.

Good luck and kick butt!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!!!! Although I haven't had my uterus fall out yet. :indifferent:

But seriously, it is sooooo addicting!! I started running in October, am up to 10-12 mile runs now, and am currently already registered for a 5k, 10k, and Disney 10 miler this year, with plans for a bunch more! I'm totally hooked! Stop now before it's too late!!!! :laugh:

Definitely go for it, take it easy, and you'll have a blast.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Running is NOT bad for you....

However you should read up on good technique as you can pick up some annoying injuries. If nothing else, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q&feature=related

Also:
    . Good shoes, which you should buy somewhere where they analyse your technique is a must
    . Running on trails (grass / paths instead of road) reduces the impact on your legs
    . Cross training such as swimming and cycling will improve fitness and reduce chance of injury
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Running can be very hard on your body! From head to toe. You HAVE to make sure you have the right equipment (shoes, bra, even clothes) if you're going to take it seriously and if you want to avoid injury. You also have to make sure you're in proper form and stretching adequately.

It's so easy to get injured when you run...

As for you, it would probably be wise to speak to your doctor (not chiropractor). He can better advise if running is a safe option for you or not.