low carbs high protein

Options

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Wow, 170- that's awesome!! What are some carb withdrawal symtoms if you don't mind me asking. I had a slight headache last night which is kinda unusal for me and now you got me thinking. Also I have heard inconsistant feedback regarding the rate you lose weight. How was it for you when you were in "serious weight loss mode"?

When I was in serious weight loss mode I was working with 20/30/50 carbs/fats/protien. I was losing an average of 2-3 lbs a week which was fine...faster than normal but not unreasonable. I said average...some weeks nothing and some weeks more.

Carb withdrawal for me was headaches, trouble sleeping (I'd keep waking up), hunger, cravings...last over a week for me.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've known who has failed with maintaining their weight loss when they go off low-carb is due to the fact that they have not gradually transitioned themselves to a higher level of carb eating and have tried to stay at induction or near-induction levels for too long making them binge like crazy once they reintroduce carbs back into their diet. And those who looked at is as a diet instead of a lifestyle change. I totally agree that doing this is way too restrictive, makes socializing extremely difficult, and leads to weight loss failure. Although I believe that is also true with those who try to restrict their calories way too much in order to lose the weight more quickly. So I think long-term failure to maintain is more of a factor of making bad diet choices to lose weight, developing unhealthy relationships with food, and trying for the quick-fix than it has to do with whether or not you're eating low-carb while losing.

I'd agree with you on this. As I said, I'm not slamming anyone who has conquered the low carb lifestyle, but it's not for everyone. For most people, I personally wouldn't recommend starting at the bottom of the carb ladder, just like I wouldn't recommend an 800 calorie per day diet. From my perspective, they both tend to set a person up for failure, rather than long-term success.

I definitely do support a "lower" carb lifestyle, as you're suggesting. As someone who struggled with some insulin resistance and hormone imbalance myself, I understand that some people aren't able to process carbs in large amounts. But, I think people are more apt to succeed if they start out with reasonable carbs and reasonable goals.
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I got NOOOOOO advice for you! The only thing I have to say is I LOVE chocolate!!!:bigsmile:
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I got NOOOOOO advice for you! The only thing I have to say is I LOVE chocolate!!!:bigsmile:

I LOVE chocolate AND your Mockingjay!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ^
    Do you just call people out and then refuse to respond?
    Yeah, of course I kept all my logs from years ago. :tongue:

Any time anyone gives anecdotal evidence contrary to low carb people flock to it like it's scientific gospel on this board, soon as anyone has an opposite experience then we must all be idiots.

I just like to come to the boards and post for debate and fun really, I like reading all the vitriol and hate for low carbers and their chosen way of dieting because it's pretty entertaining. People are pretty close minded about dieting/health like they are about politics and religion.

You see it on both sides of the argument, the anti low carb side will say they are horrible and unhealthy for various nonsensical reasons and the pro low carb side assign all sort of magical benefits to the diet.

Maybe, but you rarely see a low-carb advocate trolling a caloric balance thread looking for a fight.
    Why. Are. You. Here?
    OP was asking for advice from low-carbers, not you.

I think you're under the impression that I'm anti-low carb, which I'm not. And trolling would be to intentionally post incorrect information to start an argument, which i'd love for you to post an example of for me.

And Why. Is. Your. reading comprehension so bad?

Were my posts to the OP bad advice or any worse then the advice given in this thread?
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    Mine is set at 5/50/45 carb/protein/fat. works for me I LOVE low carb.

sorry for being newbish but how do you set this up and does your food diary tell you automatically whats what when you enter it.
    I am on the Atkins diet, following it successfully so very low carb right now.

Thank you in anticipation of any help
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am low carbing and have never felt better. I lost really fast - 4 months and 60 pounds down! 25 or so to go. Good luck with it! Wishing you great success.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've known who has failed with maintaining their weight loss when they go off low-carb is due to the fact that they have not gradually transitioned themselves to a higher level of carb eating and have tried to stay at induction or near-induction levels for too long making them binge like crazy once they reintroduce carbs back into their diet. And those who looked at is as a diet instead of a lifestyle change. I totally agree that doing this is way too restrictive, makes socializing extremely difficult, and leads to weight loss failure. Although I believe that is also true with those who try to restrict their calories way too much in order to lose the weight more quickly. So I think long-term failure to maintain is more of a factor of making bad diet choices to lose weight, developing unhealthy relationships with food, and trying for the quick-fix than it has to do with whether or not you're eating low-carb while losing.

I'd agree with you on this. As I said, I'm not slamming anyone who has conquered the low carb lifestyle, but it's not for everyone. For most people, I personally wouldn't recommend starting at the bottom of the carb ladder, just like I wouldn't recommend an 800 calorie per day diet. From my perspective, they both tend to set a person up for failure, rather than long-term success.

I definitely do support a "lower" carb lifestyle, as you're suggesting. As someone who struggled with some insulin resistance and hormone imbalance myself, I understand that some people aren't able to process carbs in large amounts. But, I think people are more apt to succeed if they start out with reasonable carbs and reasonable goals.

Good points. I can see where eating the induction plan for two weeks could be helpful for someone who might need to lower the carbs for various reasons but have a hard time tapering down. Sometimes, a little bit of "cold turkey" can be a good thing. But I totally agree that people should up their carbs over time and not stay at induction for more than those two weeks, or maybe a month at most. Even just doubling to 40 grams a day opens up the opportunity to eat a lot more vegetables and low glycemic fruits. Although there are people who are on induction levels for the long haul and say it's working for them. If true for them, great. I know it didn't work for me.

Since I always "failed" when I tried to stay at induction levels so, this time around, I didn't even go there. IIRC, I set my MFP percentage for carbs to a level giving me about 50 grams/day and then kept going over it by 20-30 so I upped it to 80 grams. Now I tend to veer around in the 80-120 range although I do feel better when I keep it under 100.

I do think fitness and exercise factor into how many carbs someone who is sensitive to them can handle. As my fitness is increasing, particularly since I've started lifting heavier weights, I can eat more carbs. I don't have to and I still have some days I don't eat as many but that has more to do with food choices that day than it has to do with trying to stay below a lower target. I also have splurge meals/days where my carbs go much higher. I have to admit that I don't do the best job of meeting my macros as I could be doing so I'm a bit inconsistent but it seems to be working for me so I don't sweat it.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 5/50/45 carb/protein/fat. works for me I LOVE low carb.

sorry for being newbish but how do you set this up and does your food diary tell you automatically whats what when you enter it.
    I am on the Atkins diet, following it successfully so very low carb right now.

Thank you in anticipation of any help

Go to "My Home", then go to "Goals", then choose "Custom Settings", and this will take you to the page where you can play with your percentages. Yes, your food diary will automatically give you the number of carbs, proteins, fats, and more and let you know if you're over/under based on whatever percentage you set.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Question..so when you are restricting carbs...should you watch calories too or no?
    With Atkins...they advise not to count the calories

This is absolutely incorrect. Atkins says don't count calories not as a way to help weight loss but as a way to sell people on the program. Most people that switch from eating 50% or more of their calories from carbs to eating far more protein and fat find themselves fuller on less food. Protein and fats tend to be more filling, protein especially. Therefore the recent atkins convert eats "as many calories as they want" while still eating less than they used to. Eventually people turn to high fat foods like bacon to blunt the craving for carbs, and volia, weight loss slows or stops. At the end of the day there really is only one rule to dieting the law of thermodynamics. When energy, calories, is consumed at a greater rate than it is expelled there is a surplus to store(as fat). There are various compentents to how that energy is expelled including hormonal effects, and different thermogenic effects of nutrients. However, at the end of the day its calories in v. calories out.

nicely phrased:)
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, 170- that's awesome!! What are some carb withdrawal symtoms if you don't mind me asking. I had a slight headache last night which is kinda unusal for me and now you got me thinking. Also I have heard inconsistant feedback regarding the rate you lose weight. How was it for you when you were in "serious weight loss mode"?

When I was in serious weight loss mode I was working with 20/30/50 carbs/fats/protien. I was losing an average of 2-3 lbs a week which was fine...faster than normal but not unreasonable. I said average...some weeks nothing and some weeks more.

Carb withdrawal for me was headaches, trouble sleeping (I'd keep waking up), hunger, cravings...last over a week for me.

Congratulations on your amazing journey! Quick question: Do you think its more accurate to say that your symptoms were a result of "Carb Withdrawal" or as a result of your brain (CNS) having to convert it energy source from glucose to ketone bodies? I'm a nutrition student and am trying to research different diets that people have used successfully.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me personally, the thing that works best is to avoid grains and get most of my carbs from vegetables and sometimes fruits. I don't eat wheat or white rice or other starchy carbs. I do sometimes eat potatoes and other root veggies. And I treat lean fish and fowel as a condiment. I try to stick with the adage, "Salad is the main dish!" :-)
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For years I have been able to maintain weight on a low carb diet. Roughly 14 years now.
    During on going weight loss, which I am currently back in to (after stupid holiday eating-mostly due to depression), I try to eat under 50 carbs. I don't eat processed foods. That's all.

Once I clean up my eating I don't crave carbs, but I still eat an occasional bit of dark chocolate when I want and there's no carb cravings that return if I still to the dark stuff.

Once I've been at my goal weight, I pretty much eat whatever I want and can maintain that lifestyle very easily. I agree with "barefoot76" to a degree about grains. And yes, salads on maintenance have been my main dish-but that has been due to preference, not design.

Dr. Atkins first book circa 1974 told one NOT to count calories. It's compulsorily on MFP. .

I really do think each person is different. In university a friend and I both had a vegan lifestyle. She is 5'1" and she dropped down to nearly 90 pounds, I on the other hand went up to 200. We pretty much ate the same things and the same amount (dorm room-mates easy to track). I dropped the vegan lifestyle and lost 70 pounds, she dropped the vegan lifestyle and gained 40??
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    May I ask where people who are taking in almost zero carbs getting their energy?

I could not do it!! Thats just me
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    May I ask where people who are taking in almost zero carbs getting their energy?

I could not do it!! Thats just me

I don't know. I've never done zero carbs. I don't know if that's actually possible. I'd love to know if anyone has. I know that when I go under 20 carbs I have tons of energy and I count whole carbs not net.

Does anyone go zero carbs and have no energy? That's a good question.
  • ctp68
    ctp68 Posts: 7
    Options
    WOW Interesting subject and responces. I'm doing a Low Carb eating Plan. NOT Diet.
    I have found it works better for my body. I get my Energy from Protein and Low Carb's.
    I have plenty of energy, I work, Walk as exercise and I keep a pedometer to 10 000 steps. and I'm a mum going through menapause
    My kids tell me that I'm walking faster too. I'm not falling asleep after dinner. I'm loosing weight.

It really depends on your body and what works best for you.

I have a freind that prefers to eat High Carb's and for her it works when she tried the low Carb she felt tired and no energy.
    On eating High Carbs she has heaps of energy for her to get through her day Exercise and all. She's loosing weight..

:flowerforyou: Understand your body would be my sugestion!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If I cut my carbs down to below 100g a day for more than a week or so I feel weak, grouchy, lethargic and starving. I did it for 4 months last year and was miserable. I also get heartburn if I eat too much protein.
  • mncardiojunkie
    Options
    Ok, I have third party information. On one of my low carb groups, there's a woman that eats nothing but protein, mostly only meat, fish, poultry. :huh: She weights 119, 5'5" age 47

Now, due to privacy or me not knowing if this is real (one never knows on these sites) I didn't post any of her information herein.

However, I guess zero carb works for some people.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have third party information. On one of my low carb groups, there's a woman that eats nothing but protein, mostly only meat, fish, poultry. :huh: She weights 119, 5'5" age 47

Now, due to privacy or me not knowing if this is real (one never knows on these sites) I didn't post any of her information herein.

However, I guess zero carb works for some people.

I don't think anyone would deny you can be thin on a low carb diet. Then again, you can be thin and perfectly healthy on a high carb one too. Look at most long distance runners.

I am 5'5" and a little over 120 lbs, and eat about 150g carbs a day. I feel super unhappy when I low carb. For my mental well being, carbs are vital.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I dont eat carbs I have noooo energy for my workouts!!! Plus I tried Adkins and it made me feel sick :( . We are meant to have carbs and a well balanced diet includes them...the complex ones that is. I need my carbs and I am not ashamed LOL!