What am I doing wrong?!

Options
:frown: I dont know what I am doing wrong!!! Everytime I start trying to lose weight I do great the first month or so and then I get stuck at the same weight!!! I get so frustrated! I exercise and eat right but I dont lose anything. This is when I just stop! I am the kind of person that if I dont see any results right away I just give up! I know its not a good thing to do but I get so discouraged!! What am I doing wrong???!! Help please! Any suggestions?

Replies

• koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i'd like to know the answer to this too, because I am similar to you. I feel like I work my butt off, working out every single day and eating right 95% of the time and yet other people have great success and my weight just stays on. The only thing that keeps me going is trying to notice the inches because I have definately seen changes in my body and I just hope if I keep going and don't give up that one day the pounds will actually start coming off.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake, not enough water, not enough calories. You need at least 1200 NET calories every day. Maybe your gaining muscle? NSV- Non Scale Victories mean more then the scale itself. Did you take measurements? Do your clothes fit differently? DO you have more energy?
  • ellyz123
    Options
    Are you keeping a food log? It really does help. If not begin one, if so go through and check things like sodium and see if you are getting in the habit of eating same thing? Drink water! A few tips that helps me is I measure everything I mean everything, yes it can be a pain at first but it teaches you portion control, and having a support system helps, If you need help please don't be afraid to ask, I will try and help the best I can., I get in that place to where you wanna give up, but don't you can do this! :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this seriously for about 9 months, and I've stagnated at the same weight for months at a time, gained and lost the same 5 lbs. over and over again, had an injury AND surgery to recover from. If you looked at my progress graph for the whole 9 months, it's not a downhill line all the way -- because our bodies aren't like that. They adjust, they hold water, they have cycles and changes. BUT, I over those 9 months I've lost 15 lbs, and almost 5% body fat, and I'm stronger and fitter than I've ever been. I'm also 3 sizes smaller.

The key is the just stick with it and be PATIENT. Your body can do crazy things, and the scale doesn't always tell the true tale -- the truth is in how you feel, if you're stronger, if the clothes fit better, and if your body fat / measurements are heading in the right direction.

Just eat relatively healthy, work out, eat back every exercise calorie, and give yourself a little time. It'll come.
  • DaveMXF
    Options
    So many great suggestions here.
    Are you tracking your food? Do you know how many calories you should be eating and what macro nutrient ratio?

If you are exercising regularly, when? how often? How long? Any idea how many calories you are burning?

You can dial it in, and really get a good look at what is going on.
  • Adjones8721
    Options
    I track everything I eat. I have not done any measurements yet...I WILL!! I drink ALOT of water! That is all i drink! I try and exercise everyday for about a hour. Three days a week I go to kick boxing and the other days I go to the gym. There are lot of good suggestions and I really do appreciate every single one of them! I am not going to give up! Im going to keep on going! I am going to try an be PATIENT!

QUESTIONS: Should I eat my calories that I burn everyday when I exercise? Does that really help with weightloss?
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    QUESTIONS: Should I eat my calories that I burn everyday when I exercise? Does that really help with weightloss?

YES. The times when I stalled the longest were when I intensified my workouts, but didn't up my calories enough to fuel them.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It may be helpful to open your food diary so people can look at it before responding. Also, when people struggle with weight loss, it's a good idea to talk to a doctor about testing for thyroid and insulin resistance problems. Both conditions are common in overweight women and both make it harder to lose weight.
  • Adjones8721
    Options
    I have been tested for both and there is nothing wrong...
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey there, First things first. In order for anyone to give you some accurate answers you must first open your diary. This is done in your settings. Now There are a couple of options there. You can open it to the public, Open it to MFP Friends only, or open it to select people by setting a key. Remember to SAVE options after you change them. After this is done, I'll be glad to have a look and offer advice as I can! Take care and good luck. BTW I have a policy (personal one) I'll never call anyone out in public, but if I see something I don't like, I'll give you the respect of inboxing you privately. I also have a blog up with ALOT of helpful info. Feel free to add me if you like, and look at my blog and diary. Lee #NoExcusesLetsGo!!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Problem is your on a "diet" you haven't changed your lifestyle. Someone on a "diet" does it then they don't see results so they "quit" and go back to there lifestyle they were living because they never stopped. Losing weight is just as much a mental test as a physical test. When your lifestyle changes and you eat healthier and exercise you will not worry about the stalls in your weight loss you will just contiune to go on with your lifestyle and eventually you will have the results you want.
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was much like you are. I have tried just about every diet fad there is and failed. This go around I decided to take it one day at a time and not give up. Also I don't actually diet I just try to make healthier choices but I don't deprive myself if I really want something. At my weight I have always felt that when I eat right and exercise the weight should fall off me, especially with how much I have to lose. I committed to getting healthy 11/1/11 and I truly just take it one day at a time. Sometimes I go weeks diligently eating well and working out and then one day I feel like a bottomless pit and eat everything in sight then the next day I shake it off and get back into my routine. Sometimes its not just one day its several but again and shake them off and get back in the game. In the past one day would end the whole process for me and I would just keep going down the road to distruction. My advice is to take it one day at a time and not let one bad day end your journey. Good luck!!!
  • nopswd
    nopswd Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm not a "starvation mode" believer, so I always blame it on too many calories. Once I started being very meticulous about tracking everything I ate it was quite clear that I was still overeating. Here's an example....and anyone with kids knows what I mean. So, I eat what I eat but the kids eat what they eat and I end up eating what they eat too. They have a snack so I nibble on a few tortillia chips. Just a few though....then they dont finish their burger, so I do, but it was only one bite, they have a root beer, and I take a drink of it. That stuff adds up. When I was really honest about my food intake and really tracked it I was finding that I was running a 1000 calorie a day surplus. Not cool.....But I never really paid attention to it. I'm not saying that's what's happening to you, but it's always a place to start.
  • slimcows
    slimcows Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    if u can find the 17 day diet it well help u through this hard time and keep on MFP and it well work out . it has worked for me to a tune of 97 lbs and this is the first time im not hunger so please try it out.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    :frown: I dont know what I am doing wrong!!! Everytime I start trying to lose weight I do great the first month or so and then I get stuck at the same weight!!! I get so frustrated! I exercise and eat right but I dont lose anything. This is when I just stop! I am the kind of person that if I dont see any results right away I just give up! I know its not a good thing to do but I get so discouraged!! What am I doing wrong???!! Help please! Any suggestions?

Well one thing that you are doing is giving up to easily! It takes no time at all to gain weight but it will take twice as long to lose it and it cant be expected to happen overnight. Sometimes it takes a few months to establish and nail down healthy eating and exercise habits. if you find that in a month you are stuck at the same weight, you need to look at what you are doing as far as exercise and eating habits and possibly change things around a little bit. are you recording absolutely EVERYTHING you eat? Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat? Are you eating enough calories? You need to look at the entire picture...maybe change around your exercise routine and incorporate circuit training into your routine. Look at things like that.

As far as results, it can happen in more than one form. If you energy level has increased and you are feeling better about yourself and everything else around you than its working..it might not be in the exact form that you are looking for but in time it will come...you have to give it a chance and I dont think you have done that.

If this is something that you REALLY want, you will do what is necessary to get to your goal!

Good luck!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    step away from the scale!!

People get discouraged because they use the scale as their one and only guide for weight loss.

Take pictures and measurements. Just because they scale isn't moving doesn't meant your body isn't changing.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I exercise and eat right but I dont lose anything.
    When you say you eat "right" do you mean that you are eating the right things, or that you are eating carefully measured quantities of the right things?
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I track everything I eat. I have not done any measurements yet...I WILL!! I drink ALOT of water! That is all i drink! I try and exercise everyday for about a hour. Three days a week I go to kick boxing and the other days I go to the gym. There are lot of good suggestions and I really do appreciate every single one of them! I am not going to give up! Im going to keep on going! I am going to try an be PATIENT!

Are you getting proper rest for optimal recovery? This is perhaps the most over looked aspect of a training program.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said you need to open your food diary so that people responding to your question can evaluate what might be going on otherwise everyone is just guessing.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Could you be overdoing it? You should not be working out 7 days a week. Allow at least 1 day of rest.