Losing Weight without Exercise

Options
I'm curious to hear from those who have lost weight despite not having an exercise routine.

I intend to walk a bit but for the most part exercise and I just do not agree. I am constantly hurting myself and/or burn out (I work 6 - 12 hour shifts a week AND have health issues) easy. So instead of exercise I will be incorporating a leisurely walk for as long as I can everyday but nothing near actual proper exercise.

I know I can lose weight using this method (so long as I'm VERY careful with intake) but it takes longer and isn't as easy.

Anyway. I could use some motivation from those of you who have lost without exercise!

PS: Not interested in hearing from those who want to tell me exercise will make me feel better - no. It won't. I've tried it, it only made me burn out EVEN MORE to the point where I couldn't even get through my work day. It was bad. Very, very bad. So now that I know my limits I know exercise isn't an option (and after quite the epic physical crash I will add. :) ).

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It is all about calorie deficit. Yes, yiou can drop the weight without exercise, just by eating less, but enough to keep you body going (no less than 1200 calories a day).

I am here for you regardless of the path you choose for your journey.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It is all about calorie deficit. Yes, yiou can drop the weight without exercise, just by eating less, but enough to keep you body going (no less than 1200 calories a day).

I am here for you regardless of the path you choose for your journey.

:) Thank you. I am currently on a 1300 cal a day diet and I am having trouble meeting that because I do love eating but I know it can be done! So long as I have the determination to do it.
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight without doing exercise, but it just takes a bit longer. I agree that you have to take in about 1200 calories in order to lose weight. Walking is good, and I too can empathize with you on the exercise.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Walking IS exercise. Do it consistently.

I do a variety of things now, but I started out just walking.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't exercise near what I should. But I continue to lose weight and some say "You won't lose weight as fast". but I call bull-*kitten* because I've been losing 2lbs a week just as MFP said I would by staying in my calorie goals.

I exercise maybe twice a week for 30 minutes, sometimes an hour if I'm feeling especially ambitious.

There are workout routines that offer 15/20 minute workouts so you can keep toned as you lose weight.

But as long as you are MOVING more than you were before - I think that is the first step. perhaps as the weight comes off you will find you have more energy and enthusiasm for exercise. until then, literally DON'T sweat it! :wink:
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hi, i lost 95 lbs not excersising hardly at all. Maybe a mild bikeride every now and then. Just low fat, small portions, eat several times a day, and lots of water. It can be done, add walking and thats even better! U can do it!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It can be done. The first time I lost weight I lost 60-70lbs with no exercise. I couldnt maintain because I love food and now I have decided to exercise.

If you dont want to exercise I would recommend to lose very slowly. That way you dont have to cut as many calories and it isnt such a struggle to find your happy medium with calorie intake once you reach your goal. That was my biggest struggle.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think walking is great exercise. That's pretty much all I did in the beginning, walking 15-30 minutes or so. Whatever I felt like, whenever I felt like doing it.

But now that winter is here I'm pretty much hunkered down. I am looking forward to spring so I can start walking regularly again!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I know someone who lost almost 200 lbs by just watching what she ate and walking. She started going around the block once a day then upped to two blocks, then 3 blocks, etc. I don't think she ever did any other exercises besides walking.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I dont do much excercise and i lost weight. Just watch what you eat, try to get as many steps in as you can, and you will see results. Good Luck
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my first 50 was accomplished with only calorie deficit and walking. Not very much walking either, about 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

I started working out so I can eat more! :wink: :bigsmile:
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could but you won't have any muscle tone or definition.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I lost 11.6kg (25.5lbs) without doing exercise - I had an almost 3 year old and a new baby and struggled to fit it in so I didn't do any (unless you count housework etc). I actually find that, for me, I see bigger losses without exercise. I have been exercising for the last month and have only lost 1.9kg (4 and a bit pounds) but I have toned up heaps! It can be done, they say it is 80% food and 20%exercise anyway. Who knows, you might eventually feel like exercising anyway! I know I did :happy: for me it was too overwhelming to have to worry about food and exercise, so I just worried about food and any exercise was a bonus.
  • Mochi915
    Mochi915 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about getting too tired to workout. On those days that I don't, all I do is watch my calorie intake. =)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am aware that this method will only take off fat and not tone or define anything but honestly I don't really care. When my health issues are sorted and I can manage the proper exercise thing again then I will be happy to get back to the gym but for now I just want to lose weight and I'm not willing to wait until I feel better. :)
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by eating less, I have done it.

But it's easier to run 3 miles and burn 500 calories then it is to eat 500 less calories a day

at least it is to me.

I also lose weight much faster if I exercise

I don't like that, I wish I could simply eat less and lose 1 lbs a week, but 1 lbs is what, about 3,500 calories? About 500 calories a day? I can't cut that much out of my diet, so I must run.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    Sorry, but it is absolutely impossible to lose weight without exercise. Exercise is what keeps your body in shape ~ and, by 'shape' I mean 'fitness', not looking like a model. Your heart is a muscle. It needs to be exercised to keep in shape. If you hate to exercise, I would recommend starting with just walking. Live in cold country? Go to a mall and start walking. Start with short walks. After a week, increase the walk by another block or another section of the mall. After another week, increase by another block, etc.
    Once you get started, and once you only focus on each weekly increase, you will start to enjoy the time ~ it's personal time ~ time to be with yourself ~ time to think over problems ~ time to reflect on blessings. So, please, find time to exercise. Call it anything else ~ call it "my personal time" ~ call it "my time to get healthy" ~ whatever, just do it.
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have told people, you can't exercise yourself thin. It is more about the intake and intake seem to be a psychological issue. You have to have a reason to restrict your intake many have had a turning point where they are sick of being overweight. A doctor visit, not fitting in a plane, remarks by someone… there are many reasons, find yours and hope it is the one to keep you here. Exercise is great and helps a lot but you can do it by just walking (secret: walking is exercise, don’t say this too loudly) . Log your food truthfully and see what you are eating, start making changes, slowly. Start walking slowly. Good luck and you are in a good place here.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I like exercise, but sometimes life gets in the way. As long as my net is between 1200 and 1460 regardless of if it is from simply only eating that much or by exercising some calories away I lose weight. BUT I have found for me it is harder to maintain in the long run if you don't do ANY exercise at all.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am aware that this method will only take off fat and not tone or define anything but honestly I don't really care. When my health issues are sorted and I can manage the proper exercise thing again then I will be happy to get back to the gym but for now I just want to lose weight and I'm not willing to wait until I feel better. :)

well said!