Night times are the devil...

Options
So far, my main hindrance to weight loss is LATE NIGHT SNACKING!!! I just can't stop going in the snack cupboard because I'm so bored! I'm still losing weight despite of it, but...I know I would lose it faster if I stopped this. It became a bad habit before I was trying to lose weight, and now I can't stop! What have the rest of you done to get rid of this nasty problem?

Replies

• Violet_Mist
    Options
    So far, my main hindrance to weight loss is LATE NIGHT SNACKING!!! I just can't stop going in the snack cupboard because I'm so bored! I'm still losing weight despite of it, but...I know I would lose it faster if I stopped this. It became a bad habit before I was trying to lose weight, and now I can't stop! What have the rest of you done to get rid of this nasty problem?
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If I'm dying for a late night snack (also usually from boredom), I get those 100 calorie popcorn bags and eat it ONE kernel at a time. It takes me forever and I usually get bored with that too. I like the kettle corn because it's salty and sweet. I also put all our snacks in a solid bin on the top of the refrigerator. Too much effort to reach up. Out of sight, out of mind?
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I joined the support group "no more late night snacking" - look in the motivation and support thread. my cut off time is 8 PM. It has been working for me! I had cravings the first few days, but now I don't even miss it!
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When I am stressed I eat chocolate. I have lost my cravings for almost everything else, but I still crave chocolate late at night. In fact, In October 2008 I think I even sleep-ate :huh: .

So I decided that I'm going to look up low calorie low carb chocolate treats to kill the craving.

I guess for you, depending on which lifestyle you have chosen, find something that will stop the cravings and expand in the stomach to stop it.

Is it a specific things, like me or is it anything that you fancy? Because if it's a specific thing like chips or something, maybe go to Trader Joes or to Whole Foods and pick a substitute. If you just want to fill your tummy, I would go a head and eat, but eat something like celery.

Here's some tips that I know work:

Brush your teeth everything a craving comes on.
    Paint your nails.
    Eat raw stuff (carrots, celery, spinach, etc)
    Put on a facial mask that makes it impossible to chew in.
    Drink favored hot Tea with Lemon. I use Stash black spiced chai, hot. It also comes in decaf.
    Freeze your favorite yogurt. It takes longer to eat and it's like ice cream
    Or Sugar free hot chocolate, popsicles or jello.

Brushing my teeth normally works.
  • humberbg
    humberbg Posts: 1
    Options
    great tips, I will have to try them!
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    This is tough for me too. I find i g et really hungry when i'm up in the middle of the night with the babies. So, I goto bed on an empty stomach (not eating after 7 or 8) but then when I'm up at 1 or 2 or 3, I'm hungry and i end up eating bread or junk (something quick). I know this is sabotaging me :(
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If I'm dying for a late night snack (also usually from boredom), I get those 100 calorie popcorn bags and eat it ONE kernel at a time. It takes me forever and I usually get bored with that too. I like the kettle corn because it's salty and sweet. I also put all our snacks in a solid bin on the top of the refrigerator. Too much effort to reach up. Out of sight, out of mind?

i love the icon lol
  • Violet_Mist
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably make a list of things I should be doing (like long-term schoolwork) to keep me busy, and I'm going to make my cut off time 7 pm. I used to so much better than this, than let myself go! Thanks for the help!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    This is been hardest for me as well.

I have set a few easy rules that help me.

1st, don't DENY your body, instead find a few snacks that satisfy the craving but also are not so devastating that they ruin your daily plan. I choose low fat cottage cheese, almonds, peanuts (in the shell, takes longer to eat them and spaces out the food delivery), and sometimes apples or berries if I want something sweet.

2nd, be active, boredom is one cause for night time snacking, this is probably hard to think about, but reserve one of the low impact parts of your workout for night, for instance, I often will do my core work at the end of the day, it's not high intensity so it doesn't get me "wired" all night, but it takes my mind off eating, and also slightly increases blood flow which helps those "cold" nights where your feet and fingers are freezing, and also allows you to quickly enter sleep state when you do lay down for bed.

3rd, chug a big glass of low fat milk (12 to 16 oz). Many say water, but milk is better for you, and sleep is when bones and muscles are repaired at a far greater rate then waking time, adding a glass of protein packed milk not only gives your body the material it needs to rebuild, it also fills the stomach and decreases cravings.