Too much protein?

Options
It seems like I've been getting a lot of protein. MFP is always like -45 or more each day.....is that bad?

Replies

• petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Most likely not...what do you have it set at?
    About 1 g per pound of lean body mass is a good general rule but you can also go with 1 g per pound of body weight. You would have to get a ton of protein and lack in the carb and fat areas in order for it to be considered too much I believe.
  • jheath123
    Options
    You can adjust it in the goals section. There's like 3 things that add to 100% fat,carbs, and protein. Its good to have a lot of protein it you're working out to either lose weight or gain muscle. I read several different places and asked multiple trainers and they agree with the 1g to 1.5g of protein to pound of lean body weight.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Your body burns more calories digesting protein than carbs, so meeting your protein goal is good. But as with anyhing, too much of it may have some negatives. Get other advice here and search Google.

Good luck!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I TRY to get more protein. I have actually changed my goals to reflect a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat diet. Protein is awesommmmeeee :)
  • mfarmer112
    mfarmer112 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that too. From what I researched MFP gives the minimum amount of protein you should have per day. A diet higher in lean proteins is not a bad thing.
  • eriwhit
    Options
    If it's animal protein, then yes. That is bad. Dr T Colin Campell think's it's bad too: www.thechinastudy.com
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If it's animal protein, then yes. That is bad. Dr T Colin Campell think's it's bad too: www.thechinastudy.com
    Dr T Campbell is a wee bit biased and works the data a bit too much.
    The 1g protein per pound of lean mass definitely the way to go.
  • smitha7
    smitha7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Too Much protein can be a bad thing but as long as you are consuming about 1g-1.5g of protein per lean muscle mass it is fine. But I heard that if you consume to much protein your body wont know what to do with it so it will store it as fat. Even worse excess protein could lead to your body excreting protein in your urine. Now everyone has protein in there urine but high amounts of protein in your urine can mean that your kidneys are having problems filtering the protein. That is my problem is that I have high amounts of protein in my urine. If you notice that your urine looks very frothy and has alot of bubbles this is due to protien in your urine. However if you are drinking plenty of water then eating excess protein shouldn't be a problem
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Too Much protein can be a bad thing but as long as you are consuming about 1g-1.5g of protein per lean muscle mass it is fine. But I heard that if you consume to much protein your body wont know what to do with it so it will store it as fat. Even worse excess protein could lead to your body excreting protein in your urine. Now everyone has protein in there urine but high amounts of protein in your urine can mean that your kidneys are having problems filtering the protein. That is my problem is that I have high amounts of protein in my urine. If you notice that your urine looks very frothy and has alot of bubbles this is due to protien in your urine. However if you are drinking plenty of water then eating excess protein shouldn't be a problem

Are you having more than the recommended amount of protein? If the kidneys don't work so well will have issues.
    Most will never eat more than the recommended amount - its very hard to I think.
  • searcyhm
    searcyhm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, what's a good ratio? Following the 1g-q.5g of protein Perlman muscle mass. I'm not sure how to calculate that. I'm 5'1 at 133 lbs, 33 year old female. I'm looking to drop weight and build some muscle. Would a good ratio be 50% c/30% p/20% fat? I love carbs so I can't cut them down too drastically or I won't stickmto it for very long.
  • eriwhit
    eriwhit Posts: 2
    Options
    Dr T Campbell is a wee bit biased and works the data a bit too much.
    The 1g protein per pound of lean mass definitely the way to go.
    I don't think Dr Campbell is biased. He did the most comprehensive project on diet and disease ever undertaken. Two major surveys were undertaken, 1983 and 1989-90. These surveys were undertaken in China because cancers and various other diseases exhibit exceptional geographic localization. Thus, it made sense to examine these local regions to determine the responsible dietary and lifestyle factors.

In a 1983 survey, 367 items of information were collected on how people live and how they die in 138 rural Chinese villages; 6500 adults and their families were surveyed. In a 1989-90 survey, more than 1000 items of information were collected in 170 villages in rural China and Taiwan, involving 10,200 adults and their families.

1.3 Billion Chinese who eat rice 3 times day are biased, yes. A doctor with a PHd in research is biased. Now I see! (not)
  • Deerpark68
    Options
    I am not sure how to count the protein and how it comes up with allowable protein. I always either counted calories, carbs or fats.
    Can someone explain this to me.