The best exercise probably most forgotten?

Options
Lets throw this out there to see if we can add a little something to our strength training workouts!

Besides the big 3, and we'll throw the clean and jerk family out since a lot of gyms forbid the lift, what weight lifting exercise do you think people just don't do?

My opinion is the Pull-Over. I incorporate this at the end of every chest day:

dumbbell_pull_over.jpg?1248286946

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how forgotten it is. I usually see it once a week.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    To contribute to the thread though.

Pendlay Row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg&feature=player_embedded

See a lot of people doing some barbell rows from diagnol or a Yates Row or cable rows, but very rarely (scratch that, never) see a Pendlay Row in the gym.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Really? I never see it, and I go to a body-builder and power lifter oriented gym....maybe they're doing it when I'm not there. I never saw it at Golds or LA Fitness when I worked out there.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    At my gym it is any lift involving the legs xD college guys like to be big on top :P
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Any thing else you want to throw out? I love these new lifting ideas!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Really? I never see it, and I go to a body-builder and power lifter oriented gym....maybe they're doing it when I'm not there. I never saw it at Golds or LA Fitness when I worked out there.

Hmm. Regional thing maybe? Who knows. I saw it at Planet Fitness quite often and I've seen it at The Y a few times as well.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Men doing lunges with added weights whether its BB or DB

Also I notice men dont do any cardio when at the gym they just pump iron day in and day out
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    To contribute to the thread though.

Pendlay Row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg&feature=player_embedded

See a lot of people doing some barbell rows from diagnol or a Yates Row or cable rows, but very rarely (scratch that, never) see a Pendlay Row in the gym.

Ha! I love these! I use these whenever I switch to a 5x5 program, though I'm not flexible enough to do them from the floor (need to use the power rack).
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Lets throw this out there to see if we can add a little something to our strength training workouts!

Besides the big 3, and we'll throw the clean and jerk family out since a lot of gyms forbid the lift, what weight lifting exercise do you think people just don't do?

I do this on the exercise ball on a regular basis ... love it!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Men doing lunges with added weights whether its BB or DB

Also I notice men dont do any cardio when at the gym they just pump iron day in and day out

Sounds like me xD
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Gotta be the bench press... never see anyone doing that!! :laugh:

Second vote for lower body, seems weighted lunges and full squats aren't too popular.

btw, I did my pullovers this morning - love 'em. Like skull crushers too, good tri exercise.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, why are you doing it at the end of a chest day? It is an upper back exercise.

I do these on back day, super-setted with back flies. Love these.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    At my gym? Anything that isn't a curl or a bench press. Seriously.
  • Oo_BrookeNicole_oO
    Options
    That looks like it could hurt. :O
  • thefuzz1290
    Options
    Just out of curiousity, why are you doing it at the end of a chest day? It is an upper back exercise.

It actually uses the pecs more than the back.
    "In November 2011, a new study came out in the Journal of Applied Biomechanics and it showed that the barbell pullover worked much more pec than lat.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/pullovers_bodybuildings_most_controversial_exercise
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Placing on the bench is where the key is.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Lie on the bench it hits the pecs. Lie across the bench you hit the lats.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I will try. Thanks for the tip!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    again rarely see anyone working there lower body. I love working my lower body.
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love doing this exercise too. Maybe it's just the perfectionist in me but I would like to point out (for any that don't know) that when doing this exercise it is important to keep your lower back pressed into the bench throughout the exercise, also keeping the core engaged to avoid injury. Seeing that picture with the guys lower back raised made me cringe.

Not sure if plyometrics exercises are forgotten but I LOVE them. They rock.