Do you own A POLAR FT7?

Options
Hi,

I live with my HRM but I just started doing Aquafit and it is suppose to work in the water. Changed the battery yesterday as it died so I think. But even now it is still telling me to check the transmittor. Only when I am in the water. When I am doing cardio it is reading my HR and gives me my amount.

Is my transmittor going? Anyone have this problem and if so what do I do. I want to know what I am burning when I do Aquafit as I am only allowing myself 125calories but I am sure I am burning more. So disappointed its not working

Valanne

Replies

• kmbrleykay
    Options
    I have one & yes it worked in the water last summer, I did a fitness class at the local water park in the am's before it opened & I wore it, no problem. I dnt know enough about them to know what the problem could be. Hve you tried contacting Polar?
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Polar was closed when I called tonight but will be calling them in the morning. Just so discouraged by it thats all. Would like to know what I burned at aquafat
    Love ur picture with mickey mouse hes my hero
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I bought one last fall and it worked for about 2 months. Then the transmitter malfunctioned and I sent it back to Polar for repairs. They sent it back to me and said nothing is wrong with it. Still doesn't work. I'm trying to get them to fix it or send a new one. I do not use mine in the water. But it doesn't work out of the water either. LOL
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    UGGG I have one of those and later I have been getting that message but not while I am in the water :(
  • Swoopette
    Options
    Someone suggested to tighten the strap while in the water and see what happens
  • Swoopette
    Options
    Someone suggested to tighten the strap while in the water and see what happens

I tried it in the tub not the same did a flip and a flop around the tub and it seems to work so I hope that was the problem.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The problem is when the area around where the transmitter snaps on get wet, then it goes a bit batty.

I know because mine wasn't working one day, and I had just wet the strap. My trainer told me to take mine off and goes see how the back is all wet, it's not going to work if it's like that.. so he wiped it off, and it worked just fine after that. He also said that 4 other of his clients had that issue... so maybe that's what is happening to you?
  • kmbrleykay
    Options
    thanks for the Mickey comment, He's the man. That was taken after doing the DisneyWorld Half marathon. We have since also done the Disneyland Half & gotten the Coast to Coast medal, It has Walt & Mickey on it, so I HAD to have it. Great reason to do 2 half marathons in one year. LOL.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I had the problem of reading 280 when I fist put it on. I tried everything they said. I finally got it to work perfectly by tightening the strap VERY tight. It is almost uncomfortable but now it works fine. Hope this helps.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I bought one last fall and it worked for about 2 months. Then the transmitter malfunctioned and I sent it back to Polar for repairs. They sent it back to me and said nothing is wrong with it. Still doesn't work. I'm trying to get them to fix it or send a new one. I do not use mine in the water. But it doesn't work out of the water either. LOL
    Again, tighten the strap so it is very very tight. Mine was reading 280 when I first put it on then 00 then the time of day, then check transmitter. After I tightened it to the point of discomfort it has been working fine.

I have the FT7 model as well and started acting up after about 3 months.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Mine has worked perfectly, but I haven't tried it in water. I'll keep this thread in mind if I should develop problems.

I did have 1 minor glitch, but I don't think it's a flaw with the system. I was doing some weird lifting and bumped the transmitter, causing one side to unsnap. When I snapped it back in place, I assumed it was transmitting again but it wasn't. I took it off for about a minute, put it back on and all was fine.
  • ultracatgirl
    Options
    I don't own a polar ft7 but i own a polar fs1. I have worn it in the pool for lengths. i stopped due to concerns when it took 1/2 hour to drain all the water from the one button.

I know you said something about burning 125 calories during your workout. you may also find your heart rate lower or different from a heart rate on land. You should find a heart rate chart that is done for water workouts. (they do make these. I was a lifeguard and we had one.) It will give you a better picture of how you are doing in the water. the calories maybe lower because the monitor thinks you are on land and this is what you would have burned in the gym- it can't tell an aquafit class from a land fitness class. see if you can find tool that you can put your aquafit classes in and tells you what your calories are and cross reference it to the watch. you will know then if the watch thinks you are on land.

it may just be contact issues but check the pool chemistry with the lifeguards...i used mine in a chlorine treated pool but I don't know if a salt treated pool or bromine treated pool would make a difference to how the monitor transfers information. i have never worked with a salt treated pool so i don't know if the salt plays havok on your monitor. Pools are one big chemistry experiment.