Not getting calories in

Options
This week I was started on some new medications for pain as a result of rheumatoid arthritis. I haven't been able to afford the infusions so the pain issues have escalated to a point where I may not be able to continue to work. Problem is I was started on 6 doses a day of tramadol and one dose of cymbalta and I am not hungry at all. Today I exercised and burned anywhere from 600-700 calories and only consumed 1450 so there is a 600 calorie deficit. I ate all good foods and healthy homeade juices but it didn't add up. Now I am so full feeling I just couldn't eat anything else. What do I do when I am just too full feeling to eat? What does one do when it is a result of medication? Do I cut back on the exercise or do I add some sweet drinks to the mix to add the calories up?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Theresa

Replies

• babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babyblooeyes
    Options
    bump
  • babyblooeyes
    Options
    bump
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calorie dense foods to get closer to your goals. Full fat milk and yogurts, nuts, nut butters... Try to keep it at healthy higher calorie foods
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Since you've bumped 3x ... I've had friends who were on drugs that suppressed their appetite.

I'd try eating foods that are a bit more dense, and if you feel full, try something drinkable.

Nuts are good for that, dairy's good for drinking, or if you can't have lactose some non-dairy meal replacements.
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I wanted to tell you to be careful with Tramadol. I was on it for no more than 3 weeks after getting my wisdom teeth removed, and it's HIGHLY addictive (despite what doctors may tell you). I had 5 days worth of horrible withdrawal when I stopped taking it. I couldn't sleep, I kept breaking out in cold sweats, I was moody, I felt awful... it was not fun. And all of this was just from taking it for 3 weeks!!! I know not everyone has the same reaction to it, but I refuse to ever take it again, so just be careful and watch for signs of physical dependency.

Good luck figuring out how to get more calories in! I wish I could be of more help!
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I dont think its a problem. I had that many cals left over for today. If your not hungry dont eat. Listen to your body :)
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calorie dense foods to get closer to your goals. Full fat milk and yogurts, nuts, nut butters... Try to keep it at healthy higher calorie foods
    Yes I was thinking the same thing. Also you can try greek yogurt and stuff like couscous and grains. They tend to be on the high end of calories but really good for you.
  • tobenjoy
    Options
    I agree with listening to your body. I rarely eat my exercise calories. I just can't get in an extra 600-800 calories in a day. I am losing weight. When I want to splurge or have the desire to eat more than I do but I don't flinch twice when I stay under 1200 calories which is the norm for me.
  • babytmarie27
    Options
    I dont think its a problem. I had that many cals left over for today. If your not hungry dont eat. Listen to your body :)
    I agree listen to your body MFP is awesome but it is not perfect...I usually eat back less than half of exercise calories and lost 25lbs in 12 weeks my first round on mfp
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

The problem is that it's not "her body" saying she's not full, it's the medication.

Medication can really mess with you on food issues, my friend was eating about 300-ish calories most days and claiming he just didn't feel like eating. I was dropping off things like chocolate milk, because I knew he loved that and it wasn't enough.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Exactly, I agree about listening to your body to a certain extent, but she knows it isn't her body but the medication. Try adding a piece of whole grain bread with peanut butter or a handful of almonds or other healthy nuts. Milk, yogurt or cheese are also good choices.quote]

The problem is that it's not "her body" saying she's not full, it's the medication.

Medication can really mess with you on food issues, my friend was eating about 300-ish calories most days and claiming he just didn't feel like eating. I was dropping off things like chocolate milk, because I knew he loved that and it wasn't enough.
    [/quote]
  • babyblooeyes
    Options
    Thank you all for responding and yes I know I bumped it three times but I was really at a loss.... today I threw in some chocolate to get it up to what I needed but won't be doing that in the future. I think adding a white potato a couple times a day will work too. See I am on gluten free as well so it is tough to get in the grains when you are very wary of what is in it... I keep forgetting about the quinoa I have.

I have never had this feeling of being full all the time it is very odd to me and realized very late today that with my 12 hour workday I pretty much forgot to eat altogether....

I will get this right.

I have actually been on tramadol for many years on and off and usually go off of it for months at a time with no trouble. It is definitely different when you take it 6 times a day though so we shall see.

Thanks again

Theresa