Polar plunge - am I nuts?

Options
Okay, a week from Saturday I'm jumping into a lake in northern Illinois (average water temp right now - 35 deg). It's called the Polar Plunge, and it's a fundraiser for Illinois Special Olympics. Two questions:

Have any of you ever done it?

If my heart comes to a complete stop :( I'm guessing I won't be able to log it as cardio, correct?

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Okay, a week from Saturday I'm jumping into a lake in northern Illinois (average water temp right now - 35 deg). It's called the Polar Plunge, and it's a fundraiser for Illinois Special Olympics. Two questions:

Have any of you ever done it?

If my heart comes to a complete stop :( I'm guessing I won't be able to log it as cardio, correct?
    Are you nuts? Possibly.
    Should you expect your nuts to relocate when you jump in the frigid water? Yes.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I'm doing it this Saturday. Someone I know did one 2 or 3 weeks ago when it was 17 degrees out. It's going to be in the 40's here, so we're getting off pretty easy. It was 74 today! Wish it had been today. :laugh:
  • dad040859
    Options
    [/quote]Are you nuts? Possibly.
    Should you expect your nuts to relocate when you jump in the frigid water? Yes.
    [/quote]

Hah! I expect them to remain on shore...
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    In a word, yes...probably nuts, but so am I, so it's o.k. Just because I know some 40-something people who have dropped dead due to heart issues, I would, in all seriousness, suggest that you have your heart checked out (at least have a physical), before you do that event.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    But, but...your screen name is DaveDROWN! Hope you can swim! :tongue:

In all seriousness, the one (and hopefully only) time I plunged in to freezing water, my lungs sort of seized up on me, so I would not willingly repeat that experience. Maaaaybe running in then turning around and running back out - but not jumping off a dock and having to swim. Brrr. Good advice to get checked out before doing the event, it IS quite a shock to the system.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I've done it probably a half dozen times. it's great times and a great cause. ham it up. wear your beach wear, bring a rubber duck floatie, something.

(though, I've got Finn blood, so I think going from sauna to snow to sauna is awesome, too.)
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My friend Rachel5k does this.... and yes, you two are like, BAT****TT, crazy insane!!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    But, but...your screen name is DaveDROWN! Hope you can swim! :tongue:

hehe....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are.

Say good-bye to your little friends. They're going to seek refuge somewhere between your liver and kidneys.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I havent done it myself, but I'm just north of you in Wisconsin. The local HOG chapter does a New Years Day ride from Uke's HD to the lakefront to watch all the crazy people jump in Lake Michigan. For hubby and I it is a 15 mile ride to Uke's, another 10 miles from there to the lake, then 25 mile ride home, on our motorcycles that is. We are just as crazy as the people jumping in the lake! :D
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haven't personally done it, but it is going on next door in Pensacola on Saturday. Of course it is like 60-70 degrees here, so it's not really fair to compare. lol
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I did it a few years ago on New Years Day in Boston Harbor. I was with a group from where I worked. The funny thing was, my wife was there to videotape it, but I got so caught up in the high adrenaline rush to the water that I got there before her. After I came out, she told me to do it again for the camera. I did, and it was MUCH colder. The first time, I had body heat. The second time, there wasn't much left. It was a very fun day, though.