Protein

Options
When lifting weights, what is a good amount of protein to intake daily? And should I keep in-taking that number daily or just on the days I lift?

Replies

• bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I found some useful articles on www.bodybuilding.com and www.wannabebig.com I've read conflicting information from it doesn't matter how you break it up throughout the day to eating 25% of your protein pre-workout and 25% post-workout.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, I go with eating a gram for every pound you weigh (if maintaining) or eating a gram for every pound you want to weigh (if bulking).
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you found any difference between spreading protein out through the day? Or when you take your protein?

As a general rule, I go with eating a gram for every pound you weigh (if maintaining) or eating a gram for every pound you want to weigh (if bulking).
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    your body can only effectively break down so much protein at one time, so yes it is important to spread it out throught the day, you need it when you wake up since you havent had any through the whole time sleeping, and post workouts is optimal to refeed your muscles,

as for how much it depends on your goal but as mentioned above 1g per lb is a good rule, im closer to 1.5g per lb
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have you found any difference between spreading protein out through the day? Or when you take your protein?

I ALWAYS have a protein shake immediately following a workout usually with 6 ounces of PowerAde. Then the rest of the day I have protein with every meal, spread out pretty evenly. On the days I don't work out, I just eat protein though out the day, pretty evenly.