What if someone exercised but didn't eat?

Options
Theoretically. I don't want to be freakishly thin or anything, I'm honestly curious!

If someone ate between 300 - 800 cals a day and did about 40 mins of cardio daily, would they lose weight? Or would they be in starvation mode and gain weight/stay the same?

*EDIT* I'm aware of the health risks, but would you lose weight?

Replies

• FitnessKing8
    FitnessKing8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That would be like attacking your body and that is just horrible. You could get sick and possibly die. There was a kid on the news who wanted a 6 pack so he worked out and didn't eat much and he ended up dying over starvation.
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight. I did it for several months (8-9). I kept the weight off for 2 years and then it jumped back on. It is harmful in many ways to your overall health and metabolism. At some point your body needs food. The proper amount of calorie intake is figuring out what your body needs to survive + calories you need for your level of daily activity - exercise = Net carbs.

Example: My body needs 2200 calories for basic body function + 600 calories for my desk job = 2800 calories per day my body needs. On days I exercise I burn 1000 calories. Therefore to maintain my current weight I would need to eat 3800 calories a day. To lose weight I need to cut back 500 calories a day. So if I only eat 3300 calories and exercise then I should lose 1 lb a week. That is the theory. If you cut back too much like consume 1000 net per day, your body organs would suffer.
  • alisont91
    Options
    I've been keeping my net calories between 600-800 the past week (or more) by eating 4/5 meals of 200cal a day. I work out (cardio) for at least 30 min 5 days a week and then I do abs, arms, and legs. I've lost weight so far and I don't notice tiredness, weakness, or hunger. I think if it's something you are looking into you need to put the right foods into your body. I also drink 64oz of water a day and multiple cups of tea. Lots of protien, lots of veggies, and natural sugar from fruit. So far I've lost about 3lbs. It works for me because I'm definitely a snacker throughout the day, but I would really make sure you are getting the nutrients you need. Including whole grains...even though they are carbs. (I used to think all carbs were bad haha)
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    That would be like attacking your body and that is just horrible. You could get sick and possibly die. There was a kid on the news who wanted a 6 pack so he worked out and didn't eat much and he ended up dying over starvation.

:laugh: