Working in extra movement during the day!

Options
TCASMEY
TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
We hear it all the time that we need to get up and move. We also hear that for some people it is hard to find time to work out. I would love to hear how you incorporate extra movement into your days. Some we have heard before like take the stairs not the elevator...park further away and walk. What are some other ideas that you have come up with.

One way for me is that on laundry day I sort the laundry on the main level and then carry one person's laundry upstairs, put it away and then go back down and get someone elses. Not much but it is adding some extra trips up and down the stairs and adding to the calorie burn.

Lookins for other ideas from the great people on this site!

Replies

• TCASMEY
    Options
    We hear it all the time that we need to get up and move. We also hear that for some people it is hard to find time to work out. I would love to hear how you incorporate extra movement into your days. Some we have heard before like take the stairs not the elevator...park further away and walk. What are some other ideas that you have come up with.

One way for me is that on laundry day I sort the laundry on the main level and then carry one person's laundry upstairs, put it away and then go back down and get someone elses. Not much but it is adding some extra trips up and down the stairs and adding to the calorie burn.

Lookins for other ideas from the great people on this site!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    At one point I wouldn't use the downstairs toilet...I forced myself to go upstairs.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    hmm, i was really looking forward to seeing some innovative ideas here! I know my husbandd always says he can think of a good way to add some extra movement to my day :blushing:
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    I ride my bike to work (3 miles round trip). I take my dog for a 30 min walk in the morning and 30 min in the evening (every day). I walk in place during commercials (when I'm watching the biggest loser). I take the stairs from the 2nd floor to the 10th floor at least once a day (WHEW).

It all add up to a nice calorie deficit for the day.
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I turn laundry folding into dancing...it is amazing how much work it can be.

Other than that, I try to run up the stairs every one of the four bjillion times I go up and down each day!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I 'have' to do 25 reps of some exercise when I go to the ladies room.

Bicep curls
    Tricep kick backs
    Shoulder presses
    Squats
    Lunges.

With all the water I drink, I get in a full set through out the day!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Somewhat embarassing but these are some of things I do. I don't do themall the time just when I think of it.
    - Squat 10 times before sitting on the toilet :laugh:
    - Push ups off the wall in the shower
    - lunges when I walk or when I am at the microwave waiting for my food to cook
    - Clenching my butt muscles and abs while carpooling
    - Crucnches in bed

I also do more normal things like taking the stairs whenever possible and walking instead of driving.
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,915 Member
    Options
    Good Morning -

*At work, when I'm faxing things over and over, I lean my back against the wall then, slide down until my legs are bent at 90 degrees. I then "sit" like that until my fax is pulled through our very old machine.

*While waiting for my lunch to warm, I do wall pushups in our work kitchen.

*While at a red light, I'll keep my abs as tight as I can for the length of the light.

*While at home, playing with the kiddos, I will give them airplane rides with my legs. I'll get a leg, butt, core workout by doing that.

*While out walking the family, we're not going at a very fast pace. So, I will do lunges as they walk, or run to a corner then back to them again, so on and so on

Hope that helps.
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Thanks for some great ideas! Any more out there?:smile:
  • shannon128
    Options
    If I want to watch TV I make myself go watch it up at the gym and walk on the treadmill while its on instead of sitting on the couch.

This is really great for season finales and for the biggest loser... I don't want to risk missing some of it while I drive home so I end up being there over an hour! :laugh:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    :glasses: :glasses: turn on some music you will naturally boogie:flowerforyou:
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    I've just started walking in place during commercials for my prime time shows. I have about 6 shows a week, which equals at LEAST 90 to 105 minutes of extra movement a week. That's on top of the walking and DVDs I already do.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Ahh... I'm a master at some of these:

Lunges while vaccuming the floors (I have 3 dogs and vaccum often).
    I wear arm weights while folding laundry
    Squats while doing dishes
    I hand wash my bathroom floors - Instead of using an ab roller - I use a rag and wash the floors by pushing out and pulling back.
    Arm Weights while washing windows and mirrors
    Jumping jacks during commercials
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Ahh... I'm a master at some of these:

Lunges while vaccuming the floors (I have 3 dogs and vaccum often).
    I wear arm weights while folding laundry
    Squats while doing dishes
    I hand wash my bathroom floors - Instead of using an ab roller - I use a rag and wash the floors by pushing out and pulling back.
    Arm Weights while washing windows and mirrors
    Jumping jacks during commercials

Those are all pretty smart! I'm never satisfied with my mop anyways so maybe I'll get some cleaner floors out of the deal! :wink:
  • toribug
    toribug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch on my break and then for my 1/2 lunch time I walk a mile everyday. I am trying to get 10,000 steps a day, very hard when you have a sit down job, I only got 8,000 today. I have started taking the stairs every chance I get. I have very bad knees but since I started exercising it gets easier every day. I try to break down my exercise, even trying to walk 20-40 minutes at night. My goal is at least 2-3 miles a day and increasing it later. I have even started riding the bus to work because I have to walk 4.5 blocks once I get off the bus. It all seems to be working,:drinker:

146785.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    :glasses: :glasses: turn on some music you will naturally boogie:flowerforyou:

Yes!!! I usually turn on some booty shakin' music while I do the dishes or laundry. It's generally while I'm trying to make my daughter wait just a little bit longer before bed time and she finds it all highly entertaining. She's not old enough to dance with me yet but I hope we'll be dancing around the kitchen in a few years! :smile:
  • ness13hill
    ness13hill Posts: 114
    Options
    At work when I can, i walk to the post office and the bank. Its not a super long way away, but everything helps :)
  • MyAngelAndMe2
    Options
    I USED to drop my daughter off for softball practice.......NOW I'm helping coach the team! I can't believe what I have been missing.....but not anymore!! :heart: