Slimming World v Calorie Counting *confused*

Options
2»

Replies

• MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You can have it!! Just not in the quantities you and I were once used to :sad:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Pasta is awesome... just watch your serving size of it. I have found that I eat a lot less pasta from a dish if I can top it off with lots of lean protein and vegetables. Those items really bulk up the dish and leave me full without eating nearly the amount of pasta I used to.

I am trying to cut down the amount of pasta and rice I eat at dinner to 1-2 times a week. I simply eat too much of it and then have trouble fitting in the things I need to have.
    Mrsblobs - I <3 pasta!! I really feel as if I need it, especially on gym days.....man, this is gonna be tough!!

I've also decided not to have the beans on toast for lunch, going to make some scrambled egg 2 eggs 1 white on toast (work in an office so limited on facilities!) :-)

Thanks to everyone for their replies, this is fantastic!

erickirb - Thank you so much for making that clearer for me!
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Pasta is awesome... just watch your serving size of it. I have found that I eat a lot less pasta from a dish if I can top it off with lots of lean protein and vegetables. Those items really bulk up the dish and leave me full without eating nearly the amount of pasta I used to.

I am trying to cut down the amount of pasta and rice I eat at dinner to 1-2 times a week. I simply eat too much of it and then have trouble fitting in the things I need to have.

It's pasta salad (like cold with chicken and sweetcorn) that I live off for lunch, I do usually have wholemeal though, so that's better than white surely!

I'll have to actually start weighing things now!

Good luck to everyone else by the way :-D
  • ClarkeEJ
    ClarkeEJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I switched to MFP after initially starting with Slimming World. Lost a stone and then stalled for ages! I couldn't believe it when I saw how many calories I was having in a SW free cooked breakfast and the amount of calories in pasta which was often a regular meal during my week! I am losing more consistently since switching. MFP suits me and my lifestyle much better and I can keep a better track and make better choices than I could with Slimming World! Basically I can eat whatever I want now as long as it's within my daily intake, or I will exercise to be able to have it or will just have it on another day if I crave it!
  • margebouvierx2
    Options
    They are completely different principles. On MFP you eat to a deficit and lose weight that way (simplified), you get to eat more if you move more, but there is no real emphasis on 'what' you eat. On slimming world you drastically reduce your fat intake while still eating plenty of foods.
    Don't forget that on their new 'orange' scheme (extra easy, is it?) you can't actually eat all the protein or all the carbs you want, like you could on red and green days - they are limited by ratio to your super free foods.
    If you are following extra easy you have now had your calcium and fibre for the day - unless you are on a green or red day your wholemeal bread should be counted as a syn.

In all honesty I would follow one or the other. Now - I've syned up slimming world meals from their recipes and they are usually quite low calorie. Were I to follow them to their word though, on a red day eat as much lean protein as I could or on a green day as much low fat carb as I could, I would most definitely be over on calories every day.
    So - on the one hand they say 'eat as much of this as you want' but when you actually follow some of their recipes and diet plans it's ALL weighed and measured. So not quite 'all you can eat'.

My suggestion would be to track your weight and exercise on here, but if you are following SW don't track your food as you are getting a conflict. You should still lose, just watch your portions....and that was one of the problems with SW, although their recipes indicate portion size their ethos of 'never go hungry, eat as much as you want' doesn't actually teach you portion control very well - or at least me. I took 'em at their word :tongue:

Yep this is spot on and explained really well, I have followed slimming world in the past and lost weight easily but from memory you had to look at portion sizes and were limited to the healthy options, if you went over on these you had to use your syns if you wanted more of these healthy options, I also set my syns at only 6 syns a day,
    I had friends who used 15 syns most days ate loads of free foods and never hardly lost weight.