• rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    Any one have any good ideas?
  • EducatedVegan
    Options
    What sort of questions do you have?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/43750-vegan-group

Check that thread out. We started it for veganism (which is no meat, fish, dairy, eggs, anything that comes from animals), but all vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores are welcome.

Hope this helps!
  • erkuhns79
    erkuhns79 Posts: 46
    Options
    I've been vegetarian (not vegan) for a year and a half and will share with you some of my meal ideas. What kind of things were you looking for? Dinner? lunch? breakfast? snack ideas?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Don't eat meat.

If you want more direction, be a little more specific :laugh:
    Are you looking for desserts? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Do you eat eggs/cheese?
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i just recently cut meat out too! Here are few meals that i am loving right now:
    I use two corn tortillas, mash half an avocado, then spread it between the two tortillas. then i heat up some black beans and add onto tortilla, then i add salsa.. sooo yummy and filling! I also like to make veggie pasta. i use any kind of whole wheat pasta. then i sautee any veggies i can find in my fridge w/ olive oil and garlic. i like to use, zuccini, squash, tomato, asparagus, onion, mushrooms. Also, for summer time when you are grilling gardenburgers are awesome! I really like the pre grilled kind, so good! Also, when you make salads add beans to them such as blac beans, greatnorthwest beans, pinto beans... they taste great and have lots of fiber!
  • cmstief
    cmstief Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm vegan.. and my meals consist of lots of salad, veggie stir fry, veggie burgers ( I LOVE them), pasta with veggies and olive oil, i eat nuts and beans to compensate for protein and ya those are just some basics- lots of fruit too! Good luck!
  • zoey1912
    zoey1912 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for half my life..12 years and am pretty healthy... I could never go back to eating meat! (not that it's the right choice for everyone). If you choose to give up all meat you'll have to make sure you are eating enough protein elsewhere. Beans/legumes/nuts are a great way to get in extra proteins/good fats. I strongly suggest taking supplements, especially vitamin B supplements since this is naturally occuring in meats. If you are lacto-ovo vegetarian (like myself) eggs are a perfect protein..hummus is also a perfect protein (meaning it has the perfect complement of amino acids). For breakfast plain yogurt is good with granola..
    Tofu is great as well..if you've never had it before you may need to aquire a taste..it's great with any type of vegetable or as a replacement to meat. I stay away from a lot of the processed soy such as "GardenBurger" "Boca" and "Morningstar Farms" brands. In my opinion it's a bunch of junk and it's much healthier to get protein from natural sources. Sorry if my writing is a bit all over the place..please do message me if you have any questions. I'm not an expert, but I did major in nutrition in undergrad and learned about this diet in addition to living it. Good Luck!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the above... protein is a lot harder to keep up than I originally thought it would be. But its made me HAVE to track my nutritional info.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I have been a non meat eater for a very long time. Just trying to come up with some new meals. Also things that my 11 yr. old son will enjoy aswell. he eats everything. meat and non meat
  • Lowenna1
    Lowenna1 Posts: 22
    Options
    I was brought up vegetarian and never feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    One of my current favourite meals is this stuffed pepper recipe. I have it about twice a week!:
    Cut a bell pepper (yellow or orange taste best) in half right down through the stalk if possible. Fill with
    crumbled feta cheese (low fat and vegetarian, obviously - and if the pepper is big, 1/2 fill with diced mushroom first to cut down on the cheese part). Put a heaped teaspoon on green pesto on top and then cover with cherry tomato halves (skin side up).
    Bake in the oven for 1/2 hour at 200C until it is all lovely and charred and juicy and tasty. Serve with veggies, salad, rice, or mashed potato (or cauliflower for less starchy carbs).

I often do it for dinner parties as it is soooooo easy and I always get compliments. It's making my mouth water just describing it to you!
  • Lowenna1
    Lowenna1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Also, Quorn is lovely and mostly very low in fat (look out for hidden calories in things like bread crumb coatings etc.). Your son is bound to like a lot of the products they do too.
    Hope this all helps!
    :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm an omnivore, but I wanted to say that if you are looking for a way to add protein, FAGE is real high, while being low in calories and delicious!

1/2 cup Fage= 60 cals, and 10 grams of protein.

add a touch of honey, and you have breakfast delight.

This wouldn't work for a vegan, but if you are OK with dairy, Fage is your friend:wink: