What do you do when you go way over one day?

Options
Good morning all! I'm going over to a friend's house for dinner and have NO idea what they'll be serving so I could pre-track. On the off chance that it's something bad, I was wondering, what do you do when things like this happen?

Do you do something different beforehand?
Do you try and make it up later if you go way over your cals?

Any advice would be appreciated! I've been doing SO well for the past two weeks, I don't want to ruin it by going out!

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If you don't want to ruin it, then don't! :)

We are adults, not high schoolers, right? Your friends know you are trying to get healthier. Eat a SMALL portion of whatever they offer. Be polite, but don't feel pressured to eat an entire plate of food. You've been on here since last August, you know in your head what a proper portion size is, right? Stick to it. Drinks lots of water. You can do it!!!!!
  • Dartmouth501
    Dartmouth501 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you go over just shake it off. Tomorrow is a new day, no good will come from dwelling on it. Last week before I went I did an extra set of exercising to give me a buffer.
  • mun4fun2
    Options
    It will be ok, dont panic. It may not show up for 2 days and just take corrective measures the next few days by reducing a few more calories, add a little exercise and drink a lot of water. You'll be fine, youre on a good pattern for the past 2 weeks so that was just a slip up. Each meal we have is a new start, so it will make it easy to correct even today. Tonight before bed you can make a cup of 'super dieters tea' which is a rare corrective measure that is sometimes used to step up a 'stall' in weight loss. If you havent actually stalled in weight loss (which is considered 4 days at the same weight) then dont bother with the tea. Of course read the directions on the tea label and always be careful if you have any health issues. You'll be fine. Let me know how youre doing in a few days as far as the impact the slip had on your actual weight and psyche.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you go over, you go over. Nothing you can do but pick up where you left off & keep going. Sometimes if I see I am going to eat more than my daily amount, I will squeeze in 30 minutes of some type of exercise so I have more
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Part of why I am change my way of life to be more fit is to enjoy my time with family and friends. So if I were going to a friends for dinner, I would do the following:

Make sure I eat healthily but lightly throughout the day.
    Refresh myself on visual measures of portion size -- deck of cards, portion of meat, etc.
    Plan on having no more than one alcoholic beverage.
    Turn down dessert

Sometimes I loosen up a bit more than the above because these types of things are few and far between. Affter slowly losing weight for four years, I know how to refocus immediately following such an event. I just make sure that if I loosen up a bit I am enjoying myself with people that matter and that I don't take away from the event by beating myself up before or after.
  • MissFluffyBottoms
    Options
    If you go over just shake it off. Tomorrow is a new day, no good will come from dwelling on it. Last week before I went I did an extra set of exercising to give me a buffer.

^THIS!^
  • feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I generally have one day where I go to a friends, go to a restaurant etc each and every week. If I have a big blow out, I just pick myself up and start afresh the next day. But in saying that if I do know I'm going out somewhere were tempation will be, I do try to eat lightly during the day and do a bit more exercise if I can. I don't deny myself a couple of glasses of wine or dessert, but limit myself to 2 glasses of wine and smaller portions of everything including dessert. And at a restaurant of course I try to choose wisely from the menu.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    work out today and come home afterward and log it... tomorrow is a new day, this is your new life, you are going to go for dinner to people's houses, just eat small portions if it's unhealthy and enjoy yourself.... no biggee
  • _Ren
    _Ren Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The next day I just try to do my best and not feel guilty about the previous day. There is no point in beating myself up over the past because I can't change it and only focus on doing better in the future.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I assure you that one day will make no difference.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Going over one day will not ruin your diet, making a habit of going over will. I have only gone over twice in ten months, both times were very special occasions and had no real effect on my weight loss.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I face this often as my bestfriend has not fully gotten on the healthy train, although I did finally get her to join the gym with me. When we have dinner at her house, whether it's for a birthday/anniversary party or just hanging out, I enjoy myself. I eat what I want in moderation and track it. If I'm over oh well, I do really well 90% of the time with staying within my goals so I don't worry about the occasional "bad" day.
    I've decided to make this lifestyle change so I would enjoy life more. If I spend needless time worrying about what if's or stressing about going over, then this journey isn't enjoyable.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about a day or two off track here and there. The main thing I do is look at is as an isolated incident and start fresh the next day. If you don't want to get too off track, eat a small salad before you leave home. Or an apple. Something healthy that will help fill you up so you'll eat less there.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Indulge! Enjoy yourself...it is only one day. Of course, if you are really concerned then workout before you go, drink lots of water before hand....and eat smaller portions.

Everything in moderation!
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it !
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't reset itself every 2 hrs. If you are on track the day before maybe do and extra workout and then get right back on track after maybe make up an extra workout you will be fine You will still be able to have a deficit and have a loss or get back on track and maintain. Unless you eat an extra 3500 calories in that one meal you won't gain weight. So watch your portions sizes but have fun. If you watch your portions any weight on the scale the next day will be from sodium so I wouldn't even weigh myself the next 2 days.
  • FabulouslyFitTam
    FabulouslyFitTam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I generally go over once or twice a week. Sometimes, by 1,000 calories. And its okay! It's a lifestyle change. This is one of the reasons I work out - I get to eat more. So if you want more calories, burn more. I workout 5 times a week, and burn 3500 calories, but usually eat 1300 during the week.
    No worries. Going over one day is definitely not a big deal. I went over for two weeks - bad idea. lol
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I save my spike/cheat day for those days, works well
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Takes 3,500 calories to make a pound of fat, I really doubt you could eat 3,500 calories in one night. If you show a gain after a night out it's likely water, drink a bunch of water and wait a day or two. We are all entitled to have a good time once in awhile.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't stress it and move on :-)