HCG Diet

Options
Has anyone tried the HCG Diet?
My Dr is really pushing me to try it and I have expressed how I feel about it.
I have lost 10 lbs in one month making that 30 lbs total within 4.5 months.

Replies

• mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are doing good why do you need HCG?
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This girl I know did it and she went from being 180 to 130 in a year. I don't know what her eating habits were though so I don't know if it was the HCG or something else. Personally, I wouldn't try it. There's something about accomplishing it through sheer will power that makes the weight loss journey even more fulfilling.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    A lady at my work tried it for a while. She did lose weight but had to stop because she had other medical issues getting in the way. I know her doctor really pushed for her to do it too. I guess a lot of medical staff are starting to do it. All I know is you can't have more than 500 calories a day.

Sounds like you are doing great on your own. I think I'd stick with it and see how it turns out before trying HCG.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't believe any doctor would recommend that diet. It's sounds so unsafe. You are doing so well on your own, why change what you're doing?
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    If your Dr. is pushing something like that, find a new Doctor. There's not a damn thing healthy about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the HCG Diet?
    My Dr is really pushing me to try it and I have expressed how I feel about it.
    I have lost 10 lbs in one month making that 30 lbs total within 4.5 months.
    Your doctor is a quack. It's a marketing ploy to make extra money. I'd switch doctors if that's his stance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    <--- lost more than 100 pounds in a year eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly. (sensible portions add up to more than 1200 calories fyi)

Oh, and I didn't have to swallow or inject any pregnant lady pee in the process.

Bottom line? Skip HCG and any other fad diet and just focus on being healthy for a lifetime by (I feel like a broken record sometimes) eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly. (and be patient - you didn't put it all on in a month, you can't expect it to come off in a month)
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did this diet (with the drops not the inyections) and it was hell hard. 500cals is to little food and I was starved all the time. I kept taking the HCG drops and added more calories to my diet and stopped losing the pounds. For me the hunger was not worth it.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well the way you are going. Why is your doctor pushing HGC?
  • malindaja
    Options
    A gal my hubby works for does it. She eats 500 calories a day and takes a pill. She has lost 30lbs in 4 weeks. Part of me is super jealous. Then the other part is like... Hey lady, want to try bootcamp with me?! :)
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that did this she did lose weight but as soon as she stopped taking the HCG she put it all back on. I'm not sure if it is something that can be a true life change. Sounds like your doing great on your own but you have to go with how you feel don't let anyone push you into doing something you don't want to do.
  • amymoore728
    Options
    I have a friend that tried it and tried to work out as well... those things don't go together. You can't eat only 500 calories a day and still have energy to exercise. She loves exercise so she stopped HCG and continued her journey the healthy, normal way.
  • Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My niece tried that diet but found it very difficult to stay on the 500 calorie requirement. She said she was literally starving all the time. She is now on WW and doing well.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think its a quick fix. You will gain the weight back as soon as you start eating again. You will be placed on a 500 cal diet plus injecting yourself with human growth hormones.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I can't believe a doctor is recommending that. As someone who suffered from hormonal imbalances for years, I learned that they are NOT something you want to mess with. Your body doesn't need the HCG hormone when you're not pregnant and if you're pregnant, you shouldn't be trying to lose weight. Also, on the HCG diet, you're only supposed to consume 500 calories per day. With that kind of restriction, your body will lose a drastic amount of weight but it will not be getting enough nutrients and will quickly go into starvation mode. As soon as you go off the diet, your weight will rebound and it will be all for nothing. The only surefire way to lose weight and stay healthy is by eating well and exercising. It's not the fastest way, but it's the healthiest.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    30 lbs in 4.5 months sounds awesome! Keep up what you are doing... That is how healthy people loose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This girl I know did it and she went from being 180 to 130 in a year. I don't know what her eating habits were though so I don't know if it was the HCG or something else. Personally, I wouldn't try it. There's something about accomplishing it through sheer will power that makes the weight loss journey even more fulfilling.

HCG is a 500 cal (starvation diet) while taking pregnancy hormones. No doctor should be recommending this, maybe he gets kick backs from the company that provided HCG.

OP you are doing great on your own stick with it and MFP and you will have lasting healthy results. People on HCG can end up losing almost as much muscle as the do fat, with diet and exercise you will burn much more fat then muscle.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    We have a fitness business in our town that does HGC. They always post before and after pics of their clients.
    All the after pics show that it does work.... of course it works, having 600 cal a day will make anyone lose weight!!!!
    Here's what I've seen ... Two years late the men look great - like their after pics. The women look even bigger than their before pics.
    I don't know if it's that the women are eating for emotional reasons and therefore can't maintain a lifestyle change or what....
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If your Dr. is pushing something like that, find a new Doctor. There's not a damn thing healthy about it.
    I totally agree:noway:
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well the way you are going. Why is your doctor pushing HGC?

I agree!!
This discussion has been closed.