How many calories do you think you burn

Options
I'm sick as a dog, cant excercise and can barely breath without going into 10 minute coughing fits... :sick:

How many calories do you think you can burn during that kind of coughing spasm?

Just trying to find a bright side to all this! Hope everyone else is staying healthy!!!! :laugh:

Replies

• eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You poor girl I wonder as well my wife get sick like this at times and I feel for both of you get well soon. Throw on a HRM when you start coughing hit start training when your done click it off lol
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I actually looked this up! (I have the same bug, I think!)

5 calories per coughing spasm.

Because I'm really sad, I actually put an HRM on t'other day, just to see what impact the cough had on heart rate. It's actually quite remarkable. It's also giving me quite the core workout!

(All that said, probably best not to count it! :-D)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Get well soon, both of you!

Seriously, feed a cold, don't think calorie deficit until you're feeling better. You need energy to fight off bugs.

Now, how many calories in chicken soup?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Put on your HRM! ;)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    :) nice bright side --- this is why they tell people to cough who are passing out. Gets the heart pumping and bloodflow to get oxygen to the brain

happy friday!
  • M0MMY5
    Options
    Hm, I've been sick and coughing all night for the last three days, I hope I've lost weight, it'd be a bonus compared to the sore ribs.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Seems to once again be cold and flu season. A ten minute bout of coughing will burn about 8-10 calories, depending on your weight. Your body will burn extra calories fighting off the infection. It is one of the reasons you're told to feed a cold - you need the extra energy.

In any event, a cough drop has about the same number of calories that you burn coughing, so all in all, it's probably a draw.