A parenting question...what would you do?

Options
12346»

Replies

• barbarawells999
    Options
    I would consult his doctor. They will tell you exactly what he should be eating. They will likely tell you to just push the fluids and he'll eat when he's ready to. I think the most important thing is to ask them and not people who haven't seen your son. That's what doctor's and nurses are there for and they really don't mind.
  • Mmissy104
    Options
    My kids just got over the chicken pox too! my kids are 2 and 3 though. My daughter (the two year old) Had it soooo mildly that it didnt bother her at all, she barely even itched except the ones in her hair. I did oatmeal baths for her everynight and she loved them! I would let her play in the bath as long as she wanted to soak in all the good stuff. About a week later my son got it. He also got it bad. He wasnt that itchy, and he didnt get a ton of spots, but he got them IN his mouth, which I guess isnt all that uncommon. They looked like little cancor sores. With my daughter I gave her what ever she asked for to eat. With my son I would give him what he asked for but he started complaining about "biting his tounge' because the sores in his mouth would hurt when they got touched. We just gave him alot of soft foods and would but oregel in his mouth to numb in when it was really bothering him. He would eat, chicken noodle soup, yougurt, bananas, popcicles, rice, ice cream, pbj (he loves 'uncrustables' and they pretty much melt in your mouth) When my kids are sick we use the BRATY diet lol Bananas, rice, apples (or juice), toast, yogurt. Hope they feel better soon!.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Reading this made me curious as to why the varicella vaccine isn't given over there. Here is a response: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8557236.stm

It says that they worry parents won't like another vaccine in the childhood immunization schedule (they would rather promote the meningitis vaccine, which I kind of understand) and that it could increase incidence of shingles. But I think you can get shingles if you've gotten the vaccine or had the disease. So why would that be a reason?

I had chickenpox when I was a kid - the vaccine wasn't around until I was five, and by then I'd had chickenpox. It's weird now (I work in a medical office) to see kids that were born even three years before me that had the vaccine and didn't have to go through having the chickenpox!

The research shows that vaccinated people who do get the disease don't get it as severely, which with shingles can mean the difference between discomfort and blindness or amputation. My kids are vaccinated.

Yeah that's true so I don't know why the UK would use that as one of their reasons! So weird in my opinion. Plus there is a shingles vaccine so that makes less sense.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Ice-cream, mousse desserts to get some sugar, milkshakes, soup.
    Try blending his food, I like blended bolognese sauce when I'm ill.