calorie question/maintenance help

Options
Ok, so I've read all the newbie posts and what not (I've actually been here for quite a while, I just never post - I read what you guys post because I find it interesting..and sometimes very funny :) ).

Here's my question: I am about 5'6'', around 117/118 lbs, 21 years old. I'm in school still, so I suppose I walk around a decent amount to get to class, but most of the day I'm stuck sitting at a desk or computer (I'm an engineering major... I pretty much HAVE to in order to keep up with the work). I play indoor soccer 1-2 nights a week, lift weights 3 days a week (30-45 mins), and then get on an elliptical 5-6 times a week (for 30 mins, vigourous, keeping around 85% MHR, usually burn about 330 cals, on the same days I weight train, and then maybe 1-2 more times a week). From what I can determine for caloric needs, I should be eating about 1800-2100 cals a day?

I eat pretty healthy, and am currently eating around 1500-1700 cals a day. My goal really isn't to lose weight, but maintain and continue to tone up - I'm getting married in January and already bought my dress!!!! I've been at this weight +/- 3 or so lbs for....as far as I can remember actually. I guess my questions are: is that the right caloric intake? I know for starvation mode, you should always eat at least 1200 calories, but does that take into effect exercise? For example: If I work out and burn 350 cals, but only eat 1400 cals, doesn't that put me in starvation mode (1400-350 = 1050)? Or does the fact of eating 1400 cals keep me above it? Oh.. and yes I normally eat my exercise calories (about half of them go to my daily dessert - a bit of ice cream! I just can't say no) Acck, I'm sorry this seems confusing, I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself up or anything. Any suggestions? Here's a sample of what I usually eat: I'm sorry this is long :(

Breakfast
Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5
Coffee-Mate - Fat Free French Vanilla Creamer, 0.9 tbsp 23
Red Grapes - Red Seedless Grapes, 19 grape 65
Kashi-Island Vanilla - Cereal, 40.5 biscuits (55g/1.9 oz) 270
TOTAL: 363
Lunch
Kraft Singles - Sharp Cheddar 2% Milk Slices, 1 slice 50
Oscar Mayer - Natural Turkey Breast, 2 slices (63g) 40
Generic - Mixed Baby Greens-Lettuse, 1 cups 8
Green Giant - Baby Carrots, 4.0 oz (9 carrots) 53
Mustard - Yellow, 0.5 tsp or 1 packet 2
Sara Lee - Light Bread-45 Calories, 2 slices 90
Pink Lady - Apple , 1 apple - 3 oz. 80
TOTAL: 323
Dinner
E-Diets - Meat Lasagna W/ Mixed Vegetables, 1 container 370
Sweet potato - Cooked, baked in skin, without salt (Sweetpotato), 1 large 162
Milk - Nonfat, with added vitamin A (fat free or skim), 1 cup 83
TOTAL: 615
Snacks
Balance Gold Nutrution Bar/High Protein - Chocolate Peanut Butter, 1 bar 210
Kroger's Private Selection - Low Fat Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, 3/4 cup 285
TOTAL: 495

Daily intake: 1796

Replies

• twistedmonkey22
    Options
    Ok, so I've read all the newbie posts and what not (I've actually been here for quite a while, I just never post - I read what you guys post because I find it interesting..and sometimes very funny :) ).

Here's my question: I am about 5'6'', around 117/118 lbs, 21 years old. I'm in school still, so I suppose I walk around a decent amount to get to class, but most of the day I'm stuck sitting at a desk or computer (I'm an engineering major... I pretty much HAVE to in order to keep up with the work). I play indoor soccer 1-2 nights a week, lift weights 3 days a week (30-45 mins), and then get on an elliptical 5-6 times a week (for 30 mins, vigourous, keeping around 85% MHR, usually burn about 330 cals, on the same days I weight train, and then maybe 1-2 more times a week). From what I can determine for caloric needs, I should be eating about 1800-2100 cals a day?

I eat pretty healthy, and am currently eating around 1500-1700 cals a day. My goal really isn't to lose weight, but maintain and continue to tone up - I'm getting married in January and already bought my dress!!!! I've been at this weight +/- 3 or so lbs for....as far as I can remember actually. I guess my questions are: is that the right caloric intake? I know for starvation mode, you should always eat at least 1200 calories, but does that take into effect exercise? For example: If I work out and burn 350 cals, but only eat 1400 cals, doesn't that put me in starvation mode (1400-350 = 1050)? Or does the fact of eating 1400 cals keep me above it? Oh.. and yes I normally eat my exercise calories (about half of them go to my daily dessert - a bit of ice cream! I just can't say no) Acck, I'm sorry this seems confusing, I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself up or anything. Any suggestions? Here's a sample of what I usually eat: I'm sorry this is long :(

Breakfast
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 5
    Coffee-Mate - Fat Free French Vanilla Creamer, 0.9 tbsp 23
    Red Grapes - Red Seedless Grapes, 19 grape 65
    Kashi-Island Vanilla - Cereal, 40.5 biscuits (55g/1.9 oz) 270
    TOTAL: 363
    Lunch
    Kraft Singles - Sharp Cheddar 2% Milk Slices, 1 slice 50
    Oscar Mayer - Natural Turkey Breast, 2 slices (63g) 40
    Generic - Mixed Baby Greens-Lettuse, 1 cups 8
    Green Giant - Baby Carrots, 4.0 oz (9 carrots) 53
    Mustard - Yellow, 0.5 tsp or 1 packet 2
    Sara Lee - Light Bread-45 Calories, 2 slices 90
    Pink Lady - Apple , 1 apple - 3 oz. 80
    TOTAL: 323
    Dinner
    E-Diets - Meat Lasagna W/ Mixed Vegetables, 1 container 370
    Sweet potato - Cooked, baked in skin, without salt (Sweetpotato), 1 large 162
    Milk - Nonfat, with added vitamin A (fat free or skim), 1 cup 83
    TOTAL: 615
    Snacks
    Balance Gold Nutrution Bar/High Protein - Chocolate Peanut Butter, 1 bar 210
    Kroger's Private Selection - Low Fat Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, 3/4 cup 285
    TOTAL: 495

Daily intake: 1796
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Try to find a reputable calorie calculator online and follow that. I went to the mayo clinic website and entered your info and it says if you are somewhat active you should be eating 1800 calories to maintain your weight. I would not have a large deficit if you are just trying to maintain. I hope this helps. And I want to congratulate you for taking care of yourself early in life. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Here is another site that I have used especially to help zigzag my calories

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

:flowerforyou:
  • twistedmonkey22
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks for the input. I also should have probably mentioned earlier:

When I was 14 I had rods put in my back because I had scoliosis. My entire life I've eaten not particularly well, until about a year and a half ago. My back sucks in the fact that the whole thing is fused and I really only have the bottom three vertebrae to move (The rods have been taken out, but I'm still fused). I started putting myself on a regular exercise regime and eating healthier - I want to be healthy in order to keep my back functioning for as long as possible. About 6 months ago I started having these really sharp pains in my back - muscle cramps and general pains from trying to bend in a certain way (I can't roll over at night without getting really bad cramps...and on some days, walking hurts!!!). Well, it got so bad I ended up getting an MRI and X-ray...but as it turns out they said everything is completely normal. I'm still (6 months later) having problems with it, so I thought maybe it was my eating habits and perhaps not getting enough nutrients/calcium. If I'm in the right zone, I guess I should just go back to the doctor :(
  • alf1163
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your back. But, wow!!! I am impressed by your determination, good for you!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Keep up the good work!!! I hope the Dr. is able to make things better. Good luck to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do need to take your exercise cals out of your daily input - so if you eat 1800, but use up 350, then you're at 1450. And that 1200 number is right for "most" people but for some it's less, so you will have to see how much you eat before you start to gain weight and then drop it down a bit.

So if you're supposed to eat 1800 maintance calories, and you are using 1000 more in exercise, you need to eat back those exercise cals. You can play around with it, see if eating half if enough, etc. Make sure to track your calcium if you have bone problems, etc. You may need more of that than a normal person, or iron, or whatnot. You might want to have some blood work done and see if you need supplements that would help you.
  • MyAngelAndMe2
    Options
    I can only say that I wish I had taken an interest in my health at such an early age. Kudos to you! Best of luck with your back problem. Keep us updated and let us know how you are doing.:heart: