Muscle aches- Push it or let them heal??

Options
I'm on Week 5 of following the Couch to 5K Program (Mon, Wed, Fri). My body seems to be getting "flabbier" (Is that even a word??) as a result of my weightloss, so I decided to incorporate some weight training. OMG!!! My legs are literally KILLING ME! Today is Friday and I should be doing my last day of Week 5 of the Program... Should I PUSH myself to do it, or should I just wait until I'm feeling better?

Also, for those who have experience in weight training...Up to how many pounds can you gain by weight training in a day? Just curious.

Thanks!!

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    don't worry about the gaining part of weight lifting - if you are going to weight lift you have to concentrate on inches and fit of clothes.

make sure you get good protein intake after your lifting...
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean about your body getting flabbier as you lose weight - weird eh?! You said you are doing C25K Mon-Wed-Fri, when are you lifting?

I would not do them both on the same day and as long as you factor in a rest day (or sometimes 2!) a week then you should be fine. One of the biggest things I had to learn when I started strength training with my trainer was that I had to push through the pain...it will get easier - keep it up!
  • Ely160
    Ely160 Posts: 51
    Options
    I understand what you mean about your body getting flabbier as you lose weight - weird eh?! You said you are doing C25K Mon-Wed-Fri, when are you lifting?

I would not do them both on the same day and as long as you factor in a rest day (or sometimes 2!) a week then you should be fine. One of the biggest things I had to learn when I started strength training with my trainer was that I had to push through the pain...it will get easier - keep it up!

Uh yeah... I used to do cardio Mon, Wed, Fri and strength train on Tues and Thurs. I had stopped because, though I was losing inches, I became frustrated with the numbers on the scale going up! :noway: This week I decided to do the weight training again and I did it right after I did 30 mins of the C25K... I guess I messed up big time there.
  • Ely160
    Ely160 Posts: 51
    Options
    don't worry about the gaining part of weight lifting - if you are going to weight lift you have to concentrate on inches and fit of clothes.

make sure you get good protein intake after your lifting...

Thanks Chachita!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 5 of following the Couch to 5K Program (Mon, Wed, Fri). My body seems to be getting "flabbier" (Is that even a word??) as a result of my weightloss, so I decided to incorporate some weight training. OMG!!! My legs are literally KILLING ME! Today is Friday and I should be doing my last day of Week 5 of the Program... Should I PUSH myself to do it, or should I just wait until I'm feeling better?

Also, for those who have experience in weight training...Up to how many pounds can you gain by weight training in a day? Just curious.

Thanks!!
    2-5lbs of water weight gain is normal. It subsides after a week or two, but don't worry about weight. You can run, but probably not as intense as you're used to. Even on my leg days, I tend to reduce the intensity of cardio training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition