95 days and Fustrated

Options

Replies

• MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    try sprint interval training., 3x a week. here's what each interval consists of:

(a) the sprint...10-20 seconds of pounding the pavement as fast as you can go, pushing from your rear end.

(b) the bodyweight exercise...I alternate upper body and lower body exercises, generally compound exercises, and do as many reps as you can immediately after the sprint. I usually start with decline push-ups...then jump squats...and work in burpees, jumping kickbacks, single legged squats, spiderman push-ups, and other goodies.

(c) the rest period...rest until your heart rate drops to 120-135.

repeat the above for 8-12 total intervals, using a different bodyweight exercise each time.

Okay, Thank you:smile:
  • Miss_curvy
    Miss_curvy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How many grs of carb are you consuming a day, maybe it could be this... Whole wheat of course is better than the normal bread, etc... but it has the same calories, the difference is that whole wheat helps to have a good digestion and helps your metabolism...
    I will suggest to check your carbs intake :), and start to consume more proteins because proteins helps to regulate your hormones, contents collagen and it will helps your muscles, substitute carbs for protein and maybe it can be the solution to your problem, dont leave carbs but you have to regulate your intake.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

I do know that when you exercise and especially use your muscles that your muscles hold water to help repair themselves, so I'm holding onto that :D
    Yes, but you need to know when your muscles and body give up that fluid. If you weigh yourself at the wrong time, the scale will drive you nuts.

that's what I would love to know!!

Do I just keep going and doing what I am doing?? and one day in a few weeks I'll notice a big difference??

Also my diary is open to public if anyone can help in that regards
    Looking at your diary you are consistently over on sugar but are consistently under on saturated fat. I suspect from just viewing the past week your sodium levels may be too high. Try switching the saturated fat column to sodium since you seem to be doing fine in the sat fat area. High sodium will be a big reason for fluid retention. I tried to enter some of your foods into the database but most came up with no matches.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 95 days now and my weight just keeps playing with the same 7 lbs over and over again.
    I decreased my calories when 1st joining and gained back the weight I had preciously lost. I then tried increasing my calories, no luck, then I've tried eating back my exercise calories and still no change.
    I eat fruits and veggies and lean meats (9/10 home cooked meals) and have recently substituted all my white rice/bread/pasta for whole wheat and still no change.
    I eat 5-6 meals a day, 3 main meals and 2-3 snacks. My sodium is always low, 1200mg, and I drink all my water. I exercise 5-6 times a week and I am on my feet all the time.
    I had my thyroid checked and it came back fine....I have another doctors appointment in a month to discuss this but if you have any other helpfull advice before then that would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Thank You in advance.

A couple of things stand out here, the most interesting is:
    I decreased my calories when 1st joining and gained back the weight I had preciously lost.
    If this is accurate, you have invented perpetual motion. Yes, folks are sure that they're running a deficit 'cause we're weighing and measuring and sweating and huffing and puffing but we cannot, on a long term basis, expend more energy than we take in.

I've put some thoughts together at the link that follows. Perhaps they'll provide some insight.

http://cbeinfo.net/weightloss/imnotlosing.htm
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

I do know that when you exercise and especially use your muscles that your muscles hold water to help repair themselves, so I'm holding onto that :D
    Yes, but you need to know when your muscles and body give up that fluid. If you weigh yourself at the wrong time, the scale will drive you nuts.

Do I just keep going and doing what I am doing?? and one day in a few weeks I'll notice a big difference??

Looking at your diary you are consistently over on sugar but are consistently under on saturated fat. I suspect from just viewing the past week your sodium levels may be too high. Try switching the saturated fat column to sodium since you seem to be doing fine in the sat fat area. High sodium will be a big reason for fluid retention. I tried to enter some of your foods into the database but most came up with no matches.

thanks

I am over on sugar as the porridge has high sugar and the banana and 100% fresh orange has lots of sugar

I have changed my diary to reflect sodium and I am consistently well under, if you want to check it also

That's why I am so stuck as to what causes me not to loose
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

thanks

I am over on sugar as the porridge has high sugar and the banana and 100% fresh orange has lots of sugar

I have changed my diary to reflect sodium and I am consistently well under, if you want to check it also

Ok, that is very strange. You are drinking plenty of water as well. Let me do some checking, I'll get back to you. Very strange indeed.
  • skmclach
    Options
    I can really relate. The body cannot lose weight if it is a state of stress due to working out too much, eating too little, not sleeping enough and being stressed.

My advice -- keep logging your food, eating healthily and seeing how exercise fits into you life

BUT
    #1 commit yourself to a full night's sleep every night
    #2 weigh yourself every other week (at the most!) and judge your success on how you feel (healthy and vigorous, sluggish and hungry, stressed and tired) and how your clothes fit.

It's sounds like your really focused on a quantitative goal having to do with the scale instead of seeking health and vitality.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yep- if your calories are in line, exercising but still not losing you have to track your micronutrients. Sugar, carbs- something is over. I had this - wasn't losing, couldn't figure it out. Then I checked - omg- my sugar was DOUBLE where it should be, even tho I was staying inside calories.
    Cut out bread & carbs, cut back sugar drastically- eat more veggies & fiber. See if that doesn't work
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    not to sounds prying.. but are you on any medications? a lot of meds out there cause weight gain or make it hard to lose.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    not to sounds prying.. but are you on any medications? a lot of meds out there cause weight gain or make it hard to lose.

Nope nothing!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It is good that you are going to the doc to see if there is an underlying issue. Do you have a food scale and to you weigh and measure? Portion sizes can be very deceptive. Try weighing and measuring and logging EVERYTHING, even the "little taste." When I am most diligent about these two things, it is a learning experience every time. It's really easy to have calories "sneak" in when you're not looking--darn those little buggers.

Good luck.
  • mrsred79
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. My thyroid is supposedly fine. (I suspect it's underactive.) I make sure I eat as close to my calorie goal as possible (no undereating or overeating if I can help it), I'm doing c25k and before that was doing a lot of extra walking just trying to get myself out there. I cut out all wheat a month ago, and I don't replace it with other grains (the occasional treat of something made with oats or flax or something, but none of those g/f box mixes that are just as bad if not worse), fruit is more an occasional treat instead of a staple, lots of fresh veggies and protein.

I'm starting to incorporate some strength training as well. I'm hoping that will get things moving again soon.

If you're looking for a few friends with similar issues, you can add me if you like. Maybe we can encourage and support each other. I have managed to stay with it up to this point, but there have been more and more days lately where I just want to shout "EFF THIS!".
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? You could be losing fat but gaining muscle.

I agree with the above....but also if you have never tried "spike" days it might help. Be super good for 6 days in a row and then have one day of no logging and eating to your hearts content. It works for me :flowerforyou:

Thats what I did 4 -4 months lost 22lbs. now nothing for 3 weeks..idk...
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

thanks

Ok, that is very strange. You are drinking plenty of water as well. Let me do some checking, I'll get back to you. Very strange indeed.

Thank you, I appreciate it x
  • kirstyg1980
    Options

thanks

Thank you, I appreciate it x
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am at three months of NOTHING too. Im down 30 pounds, and have been stuck. its frustrating to see the least.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This was my story for most of last year, gaining and losing the same 5-8 lbs. I was doing P90X and Insanity workouts with minimal results. Then at the beginning of this year, I started out doing an Insanity/P90X hybrid, basically working out 6 days a week, intensely. Still had the same problem then I got some good advice here on the forums and I've finally had success. Here's what I figured out (for me):

1 - I was working out too much and undereating. My body was in a constant state of stress, coupled with a physical job and I was just plain wearing myself out.

2 - I kept changing up what I was doing every week, not giving myself time to adjust or figure what worked and what didn't.

3 - I am within 20-30 lbs of goal, therefore 2lbs loss a week was too agressive a deficit for me.

So I made a few decisions. First I figured out what my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) or maintenance calories were. You figure this out by taking your BMR and multiplying your activity factor, which for me was 3-4 times a week, or moderate activity level. Then you subtract 15-20% to arrive at a deficit. For me that happens to be 1800 cals. I eat that six days a week within 50-100 cals and DO NOT eat my exercise cals back as I have already factored them in the the equation.

Then I decided to only workout 4 times a week instead of six, mostly Insanity which is high intensity training and 1 full body weight workout a week. I give myself rest days between workouts to really recouperate and my body has thanked me for that.

I eat 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, and 30% Fat. And I allow myself one OFF day a week, where I eat over maintenance and do not log my food, for me this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Most importantly I commited to these changes for a minimum of 2 -4 weeks before I would tweek the cals up or down. And finally, I have the results I've been searching for. It has been 4 weeks and I have lost an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week steadily, even through TOM.

I sure hope this has helped many of you.
  • dmc11831
    Options
    This was my story for most of last year, gaining and losing the same 5-8 lbs. I was doing P90X and Insanity workouts with minimal results. Then at the beginning of this year, I started out doing an Insanity/P90X hybrid, basically working out 6 days a week, intensely. Still had the same problem then I got some good advice here on the forums and I've finally had success. Here's what I figured out (for me):

1 - I was working out too much and undereating. My body was in a constant state of stress, coupled with a physical job and I was just plain wearing myself out.

2 - I kept changing up what I was doing every week, not giving myself time to adjust or figure what worked and what didn't.

3 - I am within 20-30 lbs of goal, therefore 2lbs loss a week was too agressive a deficit for me.

So I made a few decisions. First I figured out what my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) or maintenance calories were. You figure this out by taking your BMR and multiplying your activity factor, which for me was 3-4 times a week, or moderate activity level. Then you subtract 15-20% to arrive at a deficit. For me that happens to be 1800 cals. I eat that six days a week within 50-100 cals and DO NOT eat my exercise cals back as I have already factored them in the the equation.

Then I decided to only workout 4 times a week instead of six, mostly Insanity which is high intensity training and 1 full body weight workout a week. I give myself rest days between workouts to really recouperate and my body has thanked me for that.

I eat 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, and 30% Fat. And I allow myself one OFF day a week, where I eat over maintenance and do not log my food, for me this is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Most importantly I commited to these changes for a minimum of 2 -4 weeks before I would tweek the cals up or down. And finally, I have the results I've been searching for. It has been 4 weeks and I have lost an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week steadily, even through TOM.

I sure hope this has helped many of you.
  • dmc11831
    Options
    LOL..obviously I don't know how to quote and add my comment...but thank you for your post! I am going to try those things. I also added sugar to my list...I am already way over today...so I am thinking sugar might be a huge problem for me too. Thank you everyone for your comments!!