Laxatives, stool softeners, water or nothing? (TMI?)

Options
2»

Replies

• Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Miralax. It is very safe. It makes your stool absorb more water in the digestive tract so it is easier to pass. It does NOT cause cramps. It also may take a day to work. But it is an easy way to get things movign without the bad side effects.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ortisan fruit and fibre cubes are great - (Amazon sells them) or try 15mg flaxseed - you will also need to drink a lot of water. Good luck x
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I would personally try the softener first and continue with lots of h20, unless you want to be locked in the bathroom with cramps and worse... I have a sensitive stomach so even 1/2 a softener can be too much for me.

There is also a 'smooth move' herbal tea you could try instead - but use it as directed on the box. DO NOT try to 'speed things up' by doubling the dose.
  • Kimi0371
    Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate works wonders for me but it says not to use it more than 5 days in a row, so I save it for when I'm miserable (which is often). What is the "small dose" you are taking?
  • Kimi0371
    Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium citrate every night (a small dosage) and I have been very regular... no need to rush to the toliet or anything but now I go at least once a day... (dietician recommended it) :)

Magnesium citrate works wonders for me but it says not to use it more than 5 days in a row, so I save it for when I'm miserable (which is often). What is the "small dose" you are taking?
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Maybe that was why my body freaked out the one time I drank magnesium citrate? The Dr. told me to drink an entire bottle. I think it was like 8oz. "Sparkling Laxative" was what it said on it.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Prune juice. Honestly.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fats in your diet too (healthy fats - olive oil, nuts, etc). Fats help to pretty much lubricate things.
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I just checked the reports page... looks like I did go from averaging 55-60 grams of fat per day down to 40 the last two weeks. Is that enough of a difference that it would cause that?

I'm near clueless on things besides things like iron, calories, carbs and protein.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I take 400mg a night (1 serving)- they are Solgar's - "This product comes highly recommended. It is suitable for vegans and is a Kosher product. This product does not include sugar, salt or starch. It is also free from wheat, corn, yeast, soy and dairy products"
    Doesnt say anything about only taking it for 5 days....