Disappointing first workout with HRM -- Help

Options
I need some help. Please tell me if this calorie burn could possibly be correct. If so, I'm floored. I did my usual workout, which is roughly 30 minutes of low-impact aerobics and 10 minutes warmup/stretching.

Polar FT4
Duration: 38:34
Calories burned: 180
Average HR: 135
Max HR: 157
In zone: 33:26

I weigh 292 pounds (my weight/height are entered into the HRM) and am, obviously, very out of shape. Is this really all I burned? If I subtract the 80 or so calories I would have burned watching TV, I burned an extra 100 calories in a 40 minute workout? Say it ain't so.

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Try your workout out again- try to bump up your heart rate to a bit higher and see the difference. When I work out, I try to be in a zone of 140-160 for running and cardiovascular exercise. In my workout classes, I have peaks and lows....but I work to keep in a higher zone to burn more calories. When I used to do the 30 day shred, I would only burn 200-220 calories in a half hour.....i think MFP really overestimates calorie burn with its calculators! To get a high burn, I literally have to work out for over an hour, intense, and with some sort of running. Don't be disappointed- look at it as a step to a healthier life. When I first started, my burns were around the 300-400 range maximum. Everyday you will do more and more and bump up the intensity and burn more!
  • meycay
    meycay Posts: 29
    Options
    Oh I have been there! I AM there... I was so excited to get an HRM for Valentine's Day (yes, I was happy about it! lol). I worked out once with it and never again. I was so disappointed with the numbers. PLUS, my HRM doesn't request the weight information so I know that is a key factor.

I have no words of wisdom, just an arm around the shoulder cause I know EXACTLY how you feel.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'm sure once I get over the disappointment (hey, my workout suddenly burns 220 calories less!), I'll learn to appreciate knowing what I'm actually burning.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Interesting read, especially that some thought they were burning 3000-4000 calories when they were actually only burning 200-300!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing that, at your weight. I weigh 239 and just did a 40 minute Walk Away the Pounds video, and burned 450 cals according to my Body MediaFit. I eat those exercise calories and still lose, so I believe my BMF to be accurate on burn. My average heart rate was probably around 140-150. I would check again and make sure your weight and height are entered correctly.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I tend to burn around 250 for a 30 minute workout and I only weigh 126.0 currently, but my average heartrate is normally 150 and max is usually 165-175. If you can push yourself a little harder, you will get a better result in terms of calorie estimation. If you've been doing the exact same workout for awhile, you might consider trying something different that will challenge your body in different ways so that you have to work harder.

Even though the numbers are disappointing, they are probably more realistic since they are based partially off of your effort during the exercise, and even though you don't like those lower numbers they may have some positive results for you - one being that it will motivate you to work harder, and two being that you will no longer be over-estimating your exercise calories so if you eat them you won't be over-eating them, so you very well may see better results on the scale. Don't let the numbers get you down, let them motivate you. :-)
  • monikahfisher
    Options
    Ok I have another question. When ever I work out I sweat like crazy and give it all I've got. If I am not sweating I feel like I haven't done anything. Then when I am done working out I go take a shower, dry off and get ready for school. During the first hour of being in school the whole first hour I am extremely hot even tho it may be 30 degrees outside and I sweat minorly as if I am still working out. Why does my body do this?
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I put your stats into this website calculator: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

And got about 250 for 40 mins at that average heart rate.

Double check all your settings are correct, including your age and max heart rate.

If it is in fact accurate, although it is depressing, it is better that you know!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yeah my max HR gets up to 180 doing something like kickboxing and in an hour I burn around 600 cals. I'm around 220 right now. I would guess you're not working hard enough, but if you're just starting you need to start somewhere. Do you have a chest strap?
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Ok I have another question. When ever I work out I sweat like crazy and give it all I've got. If I am not sweating I feel like I haven't done anything. Then when I am done working out I go take a shower, dry off and get ready for school. During the first hour of being in school the whole first hour I am extremely hot even tho it may be 30 degrees outside and I sweat minorly as if I am still working out. Why does my body do this?

My body does this when I don't do enough of a cool down. It usually happens when I'm trying to rush it. It also happens to me when I take too hot of a shower immediately after working out.

As far as the HRM, in the long run it's a good thing to find this out now. I bet you are not pushing yourself as hard as you can and that's what the HRM is telling you.
  • TimeToWork
    Options
    I have the same monitor. Did you wet the sensors? They have to be moist to keep constant contact with your body.

Did you input all your information into the watch?
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    A nasty HRM helps it to determine how much it really burns. MFP lies and cheats us it does and tells us it burns and freezes more calories than it really does and so it eats and doesnt lose filthy weight and it gets upset and frustrated and cries to the precious...
  • foolinme
    foolinme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same HRM as you do and tend to burn roughly 330 cal in 30 minutes BUT my heart rate is a lot higher. On the days that I don't push myself as hard, I do notice that I burn approx what you did.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You will burn a lot more calories if you can bump up your workout in little spurts (also known as interval training). So every 3 minutes or so, work out as hard as you can to get your HR up to the maximum, for about 30 seconds. Then bring it back down, another 3 minutes, and take it up again. Also, stretch out after your workout and keep your HRM on, you will be burning more calories than you thought after the workout!
  • vanilla212
    vanilla212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the case with your monitor but I had a Polar monitor a few years back that only tallied the calories burned while you were in your target HR zone. Could that be a factor? Even if you're not in your zone, your still burning cals, so I always felt cheated by that feature. Hang in there!!!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I need some help. Please tell me if this calorie burn could possibly be correct. If so, I'm floored. I did my usual workout, which is roughly 30 minutes of low-impact aerobics and 10 minutes warmup/stretching.

Polar FT4
    Duration: 38:34
    Calories burned: 180
    Average HR: 135
    Max HR: 157
    In zone: 33:26

I weigh 292 pounds (my weight/height are entered into the HRM) and am, obviously, very out of shape. Is this really all I burned? If I subtract the 80 or so calories I would have burned watching TV, I burned an extra 100 calories in a 40 minute workout? Say it ain't so.

I think you need to be patient. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and it is going to take time to lose it. You are carrying alot of weight right now, so you don't want to overtax your heart by exceeding a healthy zone. I have been using the FT4 for 18 mos. and find it to be very accurate, assuming you entered your data accurately. I would try to gradually extend the length of your workout to 40-50 minutes. Once you get in shape, you will find it easier to workout, and will see the results, which will motivate you to continue. Don't worry so much about numbers at this point. Just try to find a routine that you can commit to. Once those endorphins kick in, you will be hooked. Remember, fitness is a journey, not a destination. Good luck!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would say it seems low. I am just under your weight now and I burn higher than that for 30 minutes, depending on the workout. Next time I would try 1) upping the intensity a bit and 2) make sure your chest strap is touching skin. I have had mine get "bumped" out of place before by my bra and it throws off the reading.

Good luck!
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Its quite possible that your body hasnt really had enough time to cooldown. Maybe your body still hasnt regulated its core temperature after your workout. I know that has happened to me...when I was in college, I took a PE class and didnt have enough time to cooldown, just quickly wiped down, got dressed and ran to my next class. The whole time my body still wasnt cooled down from class and now Im rushing to get dressed and head to class. My HR was still elevated which made my body temp go up which as a result I started to sweat.

Does that make sense?
  • mrsred79
    Options
    A nasty HRM helps it to determine how much it really burns. MFP lies and cheats us it does and tells us it burns and freezes more calories than it really does and so it eats and doesnt lose filthy weight and it gets upset and frustrated and cries to the precious...

This made me chuckle.