(RANT) MEAT Vs VEGGIES

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
So, I figured I would plaster my whining out on the internet, as everyone else seems to do. So Internet opinion here is the situation. Question is the last line, so you can skip ahead.

I'm having a rally hard time staying on board with my diet, things are just stressed out in my life. I have an toddler and a newborn on the way soon. I'm also signed up for a 5K, and will most likely be signing up for a 15K in the next few months.

I was a vegetarian from 1993 - 2005 and a pescatarian from 2005 to present. Know what I also did in that time? got fat.
I've been on MFP and lost 35 pounds, and its creeping back slowly over the past 8 months. I slacked. big time. I try to track every day and it just falls apart by night, workouts just are non existent. (winter and all)

My diet is borderline disgusting. I SHOULD be able to make my own meals and dinners and deal with it. I am so lacking in time, that I am not preparing my own food, and I get a. Tough, eat it.
I was making 5 meals for myself on Sunday, all the same with veggies and freezing them. Frankly I only know a limited about of stuff to make.
(Kale, sweet potato, peepers, brussle sprouts, broccoli, black beans and rice. )

I don't even have the time for that. Making it a priority is nice, so is a million dollars and a unicorn.

I also tend to start to want sugary foods a lot. I think this is most likely because of my massive sodium intake. I think I can try to curb my hunger by eating more protiene. I feel like I'm nearly at the end of my rope, and I have a deadline to get into shape, and its ####ing hard.

My question is.
Would it be easier and better to start eating meat, even though I don't really like the idea because I have moral objections.
Or keep on the peso-diet, and try to work harder and figuring something out?

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian since 2005- don't go back to the meat- you can do it! Since 2005, I've lost so many inches in my waist, and on a pescetarian diet, I've been loosing weight (when I don't it's because Im eating too many carbs and fatty cheese for my protein).

You can have an amazingly healthy pescetarian diet and loose weight. I personally couldn't imagine going back to eating meat. You can do it!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you have a hard time finding time. I have 2 kids and I know it's tough. Are you eating high protein vegetarian foods (tofu?) or are you eating lots of carbs (pastas, breads). I think the reason you crave sweets is because of an insulin spike, not sodium (I would check for any added sugar on labels) You don't have to eat meat to have a healthier diet and lose weight, however, vegetables are usually not the cause of weight gain (it's what you are filling in between those vegetables that are) and if you are eating too much salt and processed foods then adding meat is not going to help you lose weight. I would stock up on vegetable soups (low-sodium ones), already cut vegetables and fruits, etc, and keep them handy. They sell individual containers of frozen fruit now in the freezer section to help make it easier.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the question you asked, but there are some fish that pregnant women should avoid and some that are okay.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Eggs
    Eggs
    Eggs
    Eggs
    Eggs

Eat eggs. They are filling, full of B vitamins (give you energy) and have protein and fat. Plus, the saturated fat is good if you're not eating meat products that also have it. Hard boil them if you're busy and on the go. 4 a day, every day. Don't worry about the cholesterol either, most of the studies that were scaring people into not eating them were published in the 90's and had funding from the corn industry who....go figure....makes breakfast cereal. A competing breakfast food had bad things to say about eggs. Who would have thought!

Anyway, eggs, lots of them.

Also, if you have a moral objection against eating meat, have you thought about hunting for your own meat? It's a quick process, the animals live a good life and you get to be up close and personal with it. I think everyone who eats meat should have to hunt at least once in their life. Plus, a lot of areas have smaller stores where you can take the animal after shooting it and they'll help you clean it and just take part of the meat as payment. Look into it if you want to eat meat without supporting the meat industry.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The problem is your diet is disgusting. Or, as you say "borderline disgusting." You know the Disgusting Diet (tm) has a terrible weight loss success rate. You can have a disgusting diet eating paleo, low carb, pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, kitten or twinkie. People can get fat eating almost anything, just as people can get healthier/lose weight eating almost anything. Just eat better foods than you are eating now. Well, eat less foods than you are eating now to lose weight. Better foods may help you feel better.

I eat pescatarian, but mostly because my body feels better doing that. I'd probably go back to other meats if I really missed it. If you have a moral objection to eating meat, seems like that's the thing to address. Despite the overwhelming levels of genius the Internet opinion provides, only you can make that call. Also, only you can prevent forest fires.

I think you answered your own question already.

But yeah, eggs are good. I think someone mentioned eggs. I love eggs.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well as a full blown carnivore I'd say go back on the meat. But then I don't understand the objection people have to eating meat since we are omnivores after all.

If god didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The problem is your diet is disgusting. Or, as you say "borderline disgusting." You know the Disgusting Diet (tm) has a terrible weight loss success rate. You can have a disgusting diet eating paleo, low carb, pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, kitten or twinkie. People can get fat eating almost anything, just as people can get healthier/lose weight eating almost anything. Just eat better foods than you are eating now. Well, eat less foods than you are eating now to lose weight. Better foods may help you feel better.

I eat pescatarian, but mostly because my body feels better doing that. I'd probably go back to other meats if I really missed it. If you have a moral objection to eating meat, seems like that's the thing to address. Despite the overwhelming levels of genius the Internet opinion provides, only you can make that call. Also, only you can prevent forest fires.

I think you answered your own question already.

But yeah, eggs are good. I think someone mentioned eggs. I love eggs.

Award for greatest answer goes to......
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time when I was a vegatarian and I have one now I dont know if it makes a difference. But if you are worried about the salt making you hungry I would try adding more potassium, it helps to counteract the salt. Good luck you can do it!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    don't go back to eating meat! If you are morally against it (as am I) then stand by your standards! Maybe google some easy vegetarian meals and try those. If you need more protein then do a shake in the morning with soy protein, pick up some veggie friendly protein bars, munch on fruit (I eat a TON of fruit), make some trail mix, granola, there are an abundance of vegetarian options that are quick and easy!
    Also, as others have said, eggs are great! maybe some veggie wraps.....I could go on and on. hummus and veggies? peanut butter and celery or apples?
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

This made me spit Diet Dr. Pepper all over my computer!
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    Well as a full blown carnivore I'd say go back on the meat. But then I don't understand the objection people have to eating meat since we are omnivores after all.

For me, it's not an objections to "eating meat" it's the meat industry. God did not make animals to live in over crowded barns, never see sunlight, and eat corn. If they were hunted I have no problem with animals being eaten
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I would just like to point out that people are made out of meat too.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

:laugh: that is the best response ever!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that people who care about what they put in their bodies have an issue with my desire not to put certain things in it.

I'll stay the course and try to stay on the pesco path.
    Yes, people are meat. Dogs and horses are meat to.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I know it's not the question you asked, but there are some fish that pregnant women should avoid and some that are okay.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

psst..it is a guy..
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Yes! Thank you!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would say if the reason you want to avoid eating meat is ethical, stick with it. It can be done without gaining weight. And you can do it without tons of time in the kitchen.

If you eat eggs and dairy, make sure you go for the biggest bang for your buck and avoid added sugars, such as heavily sweetened yogurt. Eggs with microwaved frozen veggies make a fine meal. Also, look into quick frozen faux meats, such as those made by Gardein, Morning Star, etc.

Feel free to friend me, if you would like. I try to limit salt, sugar and, to a lesser extent, fat. I do a fair amount of cooking, but some of my meals are zapped in a matter of minutes. My cravings are lessening the longer I do this, and I notice that I'm developing new favorite foods all the time. You can do this!
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

:laugh: that is the best response ever!

...Hahahahaha!!!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My question is.
    Would it be easier and better to start eating meat, even though I don't really like the idea because I have moral objections.
    Or keep on the peso-diet, and try to work harder and figuring something out?

I see you've answered your question, but I'll weigh in anyway because forums are fun like that. I don't really find meat to be all the convenient or easy unless we're talking about jerky. Given my life and how little I enjoy cooking it's just as easy or annoying to purchase and cook meat as it is non-meat.

If it were me, I'd probably try to get protein from whey--assuming you allow yourself *any* animal products--because it's readily available and fairly cheap per g of protein.

Just because I'm curious, are your moral objections to eating meat based on the fact that it comes from animals or that the meat industry has a history of mistreating animals? For example, if I went out and shot an elk in a clean kill, would that count as mistreatment for you and thus prevent you from having a steak? Either way is valid, I just find the spectrum of reasons people have for their choices interesting.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster that you can gain weight on any diet. I eat a vegan diet most of the time and eat meat, when I'm out as my cheat which is not often. It's working for me now, but I'd like to eliminate meat eventually.