getting rid of hips.

Options
anyone have any neat ideas on how to get rid of the unwanted hips and love handles????

Replies

• nagem650
    Options
    anyone have any neat ideas on how to get rid of the unwanted hips and love handles????
  • jmehalic
    Options
    Hi there. Wouldn't that be nice! In my experience there's really no way to get rid of just one specific problem area. To get rid of those hips and love handles, you just have to do what everyone has to do - watch your calories, exercise, and eventually lose extra bodyfat all over. Then you have to watch what you eat and exercise as part of your regular life forever. For me, it's thighs! Good luck.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It is really not possible to target one area to lose weight in. You can tone that area by doing exercises for your core but you cant really only pick that location to lose weight in.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to target a specific area. You have to change eating habits and exercise and pray it all come off in the right spots. For me it's my thighs, butt, and stomach!! (that's almost the entire body!). Oh and my calves. I want to be able to wear a pair of boots someday!!!!

Good luck and don't give up!

Charlaine
  • Erica92627
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to target a specific area. You have to change eating habits and exercise and pray it all come off in the right spots. For me it's my thighs, butt, and stomach!! (that's almost the entire body!). Oh and my calves. I want to be able to wear a pair of boots someday!!!!

Good luck and don't give up!

Charlaine

I once had a nice view of myself, not too bad in the hips or butt but my calves wont get smaller. I want that lean look too so I also can wear nice high boots. Any idea how to get rid of calves so they're not so big?
  • nagem650
    Options
    thanks.:smile: anyone have any good excercising ideas to tone that part of the body?
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    OK I am all about the butt growing up my back...NEED to get rig of that. Hips Sorry I don't have any never have...I used to have to wear boys jeans for that fact...now ~ well a whole new story.

LOL:laugh:

dd
  • Erica92627
    Options
    sit ups on one of those $30 benches at walmart. You put it together. It is the same set up as the one they have at the gym.

That helped me when I was in shape. What I did was about 60 situps on that in the morning. about 30 when I got home, and 50-60 in the evening about an hour or two before I went to bed.

Maybe I should try that again.

Oh another thing.. for hips.. I don't know if it was the result of what I was doing or just because I was still young(er) then I am now. . lol okay DDR (dance dance revolution) has a session on it where you can do work out mode. When I first got that I was on it everyday and boy my legs.. ever ride a horse for a few hours. My legs were sore, but not in a bad way. It was the kind of pain that you know your work out was working.

For me, I just have to get to the point where I can do all that again.. mainly get motivated to do it. I am capable, so I should.
  • natabugg
    Options
    To get rid of the problem areas with your calves, stand on the stairs with just your front pad of your foot on the stair. You then want to sag down with your heals going past the stair, then raise up like you're standing on your tippy toes. You'll soon tone your calves in no time. I would do 15 reps and 3 to 4 sets a day for a while then up it until you're not sore.

For your love handles you'll still just have to run, walk and stay active when you're bored. You could try some Yoga or Pilate moves that target the abs and back. I'm sure you can do a search on the internet and find some good moves for these areas. I use the programs that are on On Demand for Comcast, there is an exercise channel with programs that you can watch and work out along with. Plus the guys on the yoga programs are pretty cute too! I'm now fitting more easily into my jeans that I was wearing before my second pregnancy and I've only been doing this for a week!! That's motivation for me!!

I'm also sure that other cable companies have these options too so happy searching!!
  • Erica92627
    Options
    Now they sell girl version of boy pants at the gap. Did you start the trend? :smile:

I don't think i was ever able to fit in boy cut pants/
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    If you have access to an exercise ball then balance yourself on your side on the ball. Place both arms straight out over your head and lift to the side (a sideways sit up) do as many as you can then do the other side for the same number of times. Repeat this process as many times as you can keep your balance and not burn yourself out. Eventually you'll get rid of the love handles and it will help the hips a little.
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If I wasn't so shy I would stick my before out there, because I am a total pear and I feel your pain. I was able to really make a difference to my problem hip/love handle area by eating low fat, high protein, good carbs and walking daily for 45- 60 minutes on an incline. Walk at a good pace and incline is key. I swear by it I never thought I could get rid of it. Good luck.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo and yoga have worked for me in the past. I tend to store my extra weight on my hips and thighs. But when I was doing a combo of both of those, I has nicely sculpted hips and legs. They also stregthen your core which helps with the love handles.
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    side bends (I think they are also called windmills?) where you stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and bend over without twisting your shoulders. These have always worked for me and been a big help in getting rid of those hips and love handles. I usually do about 15 bends to each side. The first few times I do them after going a while without doing them, I am super sore but it gets better and easier all the time! Hope this helps! :smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    obliques. these are the muscles that run along the sides of your torso from your buttocks to your ribs or so. easy way is to twist at the top of a sit up or use a medicine ball and swing from side to side. A really easy ab exercise for this is to lay on your back with your knees above your hips with knees and hips at a 90 degree angle, push your elbows into the ground and keeping your knees together slowly lower both legs to one side but dont let the knees touch the ground, then come back up and repeat on the other side. I would recommend only doing 20 or so the first time because you will be sore!
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    "Target Exercises"

Hanging knee-ups - Bring your knees as high as you can.

Advanced Crunch - (Legs up) - Lie on your back with your feet straight in the air. Keep your legs straight up in the air for the advanced crunches. Cross your hands over your chest and bring your elbows to your knees by flexing your stomach. (Do not do if you have previous lower back injury - place feet on the floor.)

Reverse Crunch - In the same position as the regular crunch, lift your knees and butt toward your elbows. Leave your head and upper body flat on the ground. Only move your legs and butt. (Do not do if you have previous lower back injury)

Right Elbow to Left Knee - Cross your left leg over your right leg. Flex your stomach and twist to bring your right elbow to your left knee.

Left Elbow to Right Knee - Same as above just switch sides. Cross your right leg over your leg. Flex your stomach and twist to bring your left elbow to your right knee.

Hip Rollers - This exercise will help you build your abs, back and hips to help with long ocean swims and balance out the hip flexors exercises. Twist to both sides keeping your shoulders on the floor and stay in the bent knee position when rotating left and right.

* Note - Anytime you work your abs, you should also exercise your lower back to build balance in your torso.

Lower Back Exercise - Swimmers - Lie on your stomach and lift your feet and knees off the floor by flutter kicking repeatedly as if you were swimming freestyle.