running question

Options
annhjk
annhjk Posts: 794 Member
I have a training for a 10K that says to do 10 x 400. What exactly does that mean and what does that equate to on a tread mill or with city blocks?

Thanks.

Replies

• annhjk
    Options
    I have a training for a 10K that says to do 10 x 400. What exactly does that mean and what does that equate to on a tread mill or with city blocks?

Thanks.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    http://www.runningplanet.com/training/3200-meter-2-mile-training-advanced.html
    (see excerpt below)....

I just did a quick search (you had piqued my interest). It is all explained there...

I'm use the Hal Higdon trainer, and love it! (I think you might have been the one to recommend it!).
    Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:

Early Season Phase
    •Day 1 – 10 x 400 meter repeats @ current pace. Recover between each repeat with 2 minutes of passive recovery. Then run 4 x 400 meter repeats @ goal pace. Recover between each repeat with 2 minutes of passive recovery.
    •Day 2 – 10 kilometer fartlek run.
    •Day 3 – 3 x 2400 meter repeats @ 5K pace. Recover between each repeat with 4 minutes of passive recovery.
    •Day 4 – Run 12 kilometers @ easy pace.
    •Day 5 – 10 x 200 meter repeats @ 400 meter pace. Recover between each repeat with 1 minute of passive recovery.
    •Day 6 –10K fartlek run or rest.
    •Day 7 – 4 x 400/800/400 compound sets. Run 400 meters @ 800 meter pace, 800 meters @ current 2 mile pace and then another 400 meters @ 800 meter pace. Take no recovery between the distances. Recover between each set with 4 minutes of passive recovery.
    •Day 8 – Run 14 kilometers @ easy pace.
    •Day 9 – Run 4 x 800 meter repeats @ current 2 mile pace. Recover between each repeat with 2 minutes of passive recovery. Then run 4 x 400 meter repeats @ 800 meter pace. Recover between each repeat with 1 minute of passive recovery. Then run 4 x 200 meter repeats @ sprint pace. Recover between each repeat with 30 seconds of passive recovery.
    •Day 10 – 10 kilometer fartlek run.
    •Day 11 - Run for 21 minutes alternating between 1 minute @ mile pace and 2 minutes @ easy pace. Then run 10 x 100 meter strides.
    •Day 12 –10K fartlek run or rest.
    •Day 13 – Run 10 x 100 meter repeats up a steep hill. Run @ current pace. Recover by running down the hill @ easy pace.
    •Day 14 – Run 15 kilometers @ easy pace.
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think the answer you want is that you should do 10 repeats of a 400m distance. This is about a quarter of a mile. Hope that helps!
  • AJCM
    Options
    I think the answer you want is that you should do 10 repeats of a 400m distance. This is about a quarter of a mile. Hope that helps!

Can I ask a Q too....

When it says to rest in between, how long, and what kind of rest - walking?
    Thanks!
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For my training I usually do slow jogs in between sets, but fast-walking is probably fine too. The training I follow usually specifies how long I should be "resting"... my guess would be to rest for about half the distance. (When I do a 1600m, I jog for 800m, etc.) But maybe some other runners have more insight here? I'm not really an expert :blushing:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    i like to rest until my heart rate comes down to a normal range. just my preference
  • annhjk
    Options

That was exactly what I was looking for. It sounds so easy, but man am I sweaty!

AJMC - I am the one that sent you to that site, I just didn't understand the speed training part of it. How's your training going? I waited until 3 weeks before my 10K to start (luckily I had been doing 5 mile runs for a while now).
  • AJCM
    Options

That was exactly what I was looking for. It sounds so easy, but man am I sweaty!

AJMC - I am the one that sent you to that site, I just didn't understand the speed training part of it. How's your training going? I waited until 3 weeks before my 10K to start (luckily I had been doing 5 mile runs for a while now).

I'm doing the Hal Higdon trainging - so it's not like the one you are mentioning - it's the cross trainging / strength training / run 3x week program. It's going well! I working on improving time, and I'm slowly getting faster!

When's your race? 3 weeks? Mine is in 6 weeks, and I should be more motivated, but I figure I can always just do it 'as is' even though I would like to improve my speed.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good explanations. As you know, I'm doing the 3 day half marathon training plan.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-9369-0,00.html

I'm doing the speedwork on there and doing my repeats (400m or 1/4 mile, 800m or 1/2 mile, 1600m or 1 mile) and then my recoveries are about 2 min long (just a slower jog, I don't walk my recoveries).

You're going to do great! :flowerforyou:
  • annhjk
    Options

I'm doing the Hal Higdon trainging - so it's not like the one you are mentioning - it's the cross trainging / strength training / run 3x week program. It's going well! I working on improving time, and I'm slowly getting faster!

When's your race? 3 weeks? Mine is in 6 weeks, and I should be more motivated, but I figure I can always just do it 'as is' even though I would like to improve my speed.

I think we're doing the same training, I just jumped up to the intermediate training for this one instead of the novice.

The 3 week crunch (mother's day weekend) is what's giving me the motivation - well, that and getting my body comp done in about 10 days. It's like lots of last chance workouts.

Jess, thanks for that. I didn't understand it so I didn't put that part in my training, I just figured I'd do 3 mile runs. Now that I understand what I'm doing, it makes sense (and pushed me a little harder). I didn't walk either. I did use a couple of 'recoveries' to get supper for my kids. :wink: :laugh:
  • AJCM
    Options

I think we're doing the same training, I just jumped up to the intermediate training for this one instead of the novice.

The 3 week crunch (mother's day weekend) is what's giving me the motivation - well, that and getting my body comp done in about 10 days. It's like lots of last chance workouts.

Jess, thanks for that. I didn't understand it so I didn't put that part in my training, I just figured I'd do 3 mile runs. Now that I understand what I'm doing, it makes sense (and pushed me a little harder). I didn't walk either. I did use a couple of 'recoveries' to get supper for my kids. :wink: :laugh:

You are going for it! That's great!

I find that since hitting my goal, and being on maintenance, I have no motivation. I need something to get excited about again.

Good luck and let us know how the race goes!