caramelized onions and mushrooms recipe

zoeelizabeths
zoeelizabeths Posts: 93 Member
Hey all

I was wondering what everyone uses/what everyones methods are for making caramelized onions and/or mushrooms everything I saw online seemed like the calories would add up quick and was wondering if anyone had some less fattening recipes?

Replies

• wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    I often sautee onions and mushrooms in a non-stick pan with about 1 TBS olive oil.
    I dont know how long but guess 5-10 minutes over medium heat.

When I carmelize onions I want them very sweet and very soft.
    I cook an entire onion in 1 TBS olive oil.
    I heat the pan but then reduce the heat for 30+ minutes.
    Basically it cooks while I continue to cook/prep everything else.
  • paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    when I do onions and/or mushrooms I spray them with pam. I also add some garlic with them and let them do their own thing stirring often and on a lowto med flame, if they seem to start sticking give them another good spraying. just as they are just about done add a little soy sauce. my 5 and 8 year old kids even love them.
  • Nuttytart2012
    Nuttytart2012 Posts: 15 Member
    When I do my onions, I usually use the spray oil, about 5 squirts and if I want them nice and caramelized then I add a little tsp of balsamic vineger, it does have a few calories but is very tasty.

When I cook mushrooms, instead of using oil, I make a little bit of stock chicken / vegetable and pot that in the wok with my mushrooms.
    Or sometimes if I get the large flat mushrooms, I season them and cook under the grill, that is the healthiest way of cooking them and they are so delicious too!
  • zoeelizabeths
    Ohh thanks for all the ideas guys!
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    now im drooling. hehe yum.
  • nwilson1213
    nwilson1213 Posts: 32 Member
    I have also cooked mine in olive oil and had great results, but now I definitely want to try adding balsamic vinegar too! Sounds yummy!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    You don't need a lot of oil. Just sprinkle the onions with salt and that helps draw out their moisture. I cook them on med low covered stirring occasionally until they are very soft, then remove cover and let them caramelize. :-)
  • zoeelizabeths
    You don't need a lot of oil. Just sprinkle the onions with salt and that helps draw out their moisture. I cook them on med low covered stirring occasionally until they are very soft, then remove cover and let them caramelize. :-)

Oh I might just try this! Thanks for the tip.