How many of you went with the calorie goal MFP set for you,

Options
I'm just wondering because so many people say that the goal MFP sets for you is too high or too low. Just wondering how many of you kept it as simple as possible and did exactly what the website told you: ate the number of calories it said, ate back your exercise calories, and lost about a pound or two most weeks until you got to your goal. Also specify whether you made sure you put in your true activity level so the site could make the correct calculations. Please comment...and thanks!

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I use the calorie goal they estimate, but I also change my settings to custom because their carb/protein/fat ratios are way off and completely wrong for me.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Most days I typically stick to 1200 calories a day regardless of the exercise I put in. I have had a couple of days where I have ate part of the calories back . (went out with friends couldn't avoid the bar) but in ten days lost 12 lbs so I mustbe doing something remotely right for me/
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I use the calorie goal they estimate, but I also change my settings to custom because their carb/protein/fat ratios are way off and completely wrong for me.

Thank you for your quick reply. I see that you lost an incredible amount of weight--WAY TO GO! Now, did you go in every few weeks and change your goals according to your new weight?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I did follow MFP's suggestions, but not at first. I initially set my goal too aggressively (2 pounds a week), which only gave me 1200 calories and I was starving. Of course, that made me plateau for a while, and then when I started eating more and set my goal more reasonably, I started losing again. I set fit or moderately active, even though I am a sedentary desk worker, and then I just didn't log my exercise. Months later and with only a couple pounds left until goal, I plateaued again. At that time, I set my activity back to sedentary, started logging exercise and eating the extra calories (most of the time anyway, not always), and I finally lost the last few pounds. I am currently maintaining by logging exercise and mostly eating my exercise calories. I say "mostly" because if I plan out my day, I can usually eat them. If I don't plan in the extra calories and I am truly not hungry, I don't force myself to choke down food.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    Honestly, Most days I typically stick to 1200 calories a day regardless of the exercise I put in. I have had a couple of days where I have ate part of the calories back . (went out with friends couldn't avoid the bar) but in ten days lost 12 lbs so I mustbe doing something remotely right for me/

So, you are typically netting well below 1200 calories on days that you work out...do you do fairly light exercise? Also, you just started your journey so you're losing fairly quickly due to a drastic change in your diet, I imagine. Be careful...you want to keep your body fueled for basic everyday functions! :) Thanks for your reply.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have really tryed to stick to my goal calories on here which is 1200. Also, I try to eat back my exercise calories. I have lost 18 pound in just over 45 days. I'm feeling real good about the whole thing.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I did follow MFP's suggestions, but not at first. I initially set my goal too aggressively (2 pounds a week), which only gave me 1200 calories and I was starving. Of course, that made me plateau for a while, and then when I started eating more and set my goal more reasonably, I started losing again. I set fit or moderately active, even though I am a sedentary desk worker, and then I just didn't log my exercise. Months later and with only a couple pounds left until goal, I plateaued again. At that time, I set my activity back to sedentary, started logging exercise and eating the extra calories (most of the time anyway, not always), and I finally lost the last few pounds. I am currently maintaining by logging exercise and mostly eating my exercise calories. I say "mostly" because if I plan out my day, I can usually eat them. If I don't plan in the extra calories and I am truly not hungry, I don't force myself to choke down food.

That is an interesting idea--setting my activity level as quite active and then just not logging exercise. Thanks for the tip! :)
  • caroliiine86
    Options
    i use the goal MFP gives me, but most of the time at the end of the day i'm below my calories goal
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I have really tryed to stick to my goal calories on here which is 1200. Also, I try to eat back my exercise calories. I have lost 18 pound in just over 45 days. I'm feeling real good about the whole thing.

This is great! I think if you're going to be set as low as 1200, it's very important to eat back your exercise calories. You've had great success so far! Good job!
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal said to only eat 1200. I went and saw a nutritionist, and she told me that I needed to be eating 1300 on days I dont work out, and 1400-1500 on days that I do. She said that using your workouts as a calorie deficit is a farce... and it will only train you to psychologically punish yourself by working out in order to "work off" calories. I was having a really tough time with losing weight, and was beating myself up. She suggested that instead, I find something I enjoy doing to work out, and do it 3 times a week... and then go for a walk the other 4 days. So far it has not only improved my self esteem, but it has trained me true self control and portion size. Now I eat approx 200 cal at breakfast, 2 snacks of approx 100 cals, and then 500 for lunch, and 500 for dinner. I have lost 5 pounds so far in the past month... but getting myself to the place I wanted to be mentally was what took so long. I would suggest not counting your workouts as a deficit. It's only negative reinforcement, and you will end up hating your work out time. Hope this helps!
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    i use the goal MFP gives me, but most of the time at the end of the day i'm below my calories goal

How far below? And how well is this working out for you; i.e., how long has it taken you to lose those 12 lbs? Thanks!
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my first week and am lost 5 pounds the first week. I'm sure mostly water weight, and next week will balance out. I generally have been a few hundred calorie under, and one day ate back the exercise calories totally, one day did not, and the rest were about in the middle. Net calories have remained below the target. I set it to lose about a pound a week, because I think that's reasonable, slow, and will likely bring me more long term success.

As for *WHY* I ate more/less one day than another, mainly because that's what I felt like on a particular day.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i followed MFP's suggestion of 1200 cals initially and lost weight. THen i hit a plateau and had to eat MORE which MFP never seemed to agree with even when I set my calories at maintenance. I use fat2fit.com and freedieting.com to gauge my calories but ultimately i go by how i feel. These sites INCLUDE your exercise calories so when comparing to MFP look at your "totals" number each day rather than your "net" number.

I eat until i'm 80% full and those calories are mostly protein and veggies. I do not eat grains (allergy). I follow a zig-zag plan to accommodate my varied exercise plan. I average 2000-2500 calories a day total and usually burn about 200-800.

I've had much success with this method.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have done exactly wht it says and lost exactly what it predicted so far:)

only 6 weekjs in though,and just starting to add in excersise..... eating back those few extra cals with delght:)
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I follow the 1lb weekly loss w/ light exercise and I'm on day 24 and I've lost 5 lbs so far.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    My calorie goal said to only eat 1200. I went and saw a nutritionist, and she told me that I needed to be eating 1300 on days I dont work out, and 1400-1500 on days that I do. She said that using your workouts as a calorie deficit is a farce... and it will only train you to psychologically punish yourself by working out in order to "work off" calories. I was having a really tough time with losing weight, and was beating myself up. She suggested that instead, I find something I enjoy doing to work out, and do it 3 times a week... and then go for a walk the other 4 days. So far it has not only improved my self esteem, but it has trained me true self control and portion size. Now I eat approx 200 cal at breakfast, 2 snacks of approx 100 cals, and then 500 for lunch, and 500 for dinner. I have lost 5 pounds so far in the past month... but getting myself to the place I wanted to be mentally was what took so long. I would suggest not counting your workouts as a deficit. It's only negative reinforcement, and you will end up hating your work out time. Hope this helps!

This is actually the closest to what I believe in! :) I'm all for not stressing and doing what will work for life! I'm actually asking this question for a lot of my friends who are very concerned over that "magic" number and for those days when my mood is low over the fact that I have plateaued for months. I generally feel really good about how I'm feeling and looking but I would like to figure out how to move those last 15-20 lbs. Thank you so much for your answer, and I hope a lot of people see it! :)
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The whole "eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight" is not accurate, and that came right from the mouth of a certified trainer. If you are losing weight doing that, then, and this is what diet and fitness trained people explained to me, you are not losing fat. First you lose water weight, then you lose muscle mass. your muscles cannot build when you don't give them enough fuel.

The most accurate way to calculate what you should be eating is to find you BMR, then subtract 500 calories from that. Then keep recalculating as you lose weight.

I did this, because after losing 8 pounds in two weeks, I stopped. I upped my calories and within a week, I was down 2.5 pounds, and I'm still losing.

The whole I can only eat this many calories and I need to spend two hours on the treadmill every day is really not the healthy way to lose weight and keep it off.

And these aren't my opinions, they are things that I adopted because professionals told me. Eat whole grains, protein, and fat, lift weights, do a little cardio(use a HRM to make sure your heart rate isn't too high) and you will lose steadily each week and you will learn habits that will keep the weight off long term.
  • caroliiine86
    Options
    between 130 and 300, I started MFP since 1 month
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    I appreciate your answers, thank you! I asked this specific question BECAUSE I know that there are many theories and opinions about whether 1200 calories is too low or too high, etc. I have been at this since September and I've lost a decent amount of weight just doing all kinds of different ideas. For some reason, I never really believed in the calorie goal number that MFP gave me and I tried to justify other ideas to allow me to eat more because I work out hard (cardio and lifting heavy free weights at this point) six days a week. I asked this question because I wanted to know how many people have success doing what MFP recommends--nothing else at this point! :) I wasn't asking for advice on how to lose faster; I was asking who this worked for. Believe me, I have asked for advice from various places over these past few months and I appreciate everything everyone has told me! This time, I'm just asking for experiences with following the MFP rules. Thank you so much! You guys are great!!
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The whole "eating 1200 calories a day to lose weight" is not accurate, and that came right from the mouth of a certified trainer. If you are losing weight doing that, then, and this is what diet and fitness trained people explained to me, you are not losing fat. First you lose water weight, then you lose muscle mass. your muscles cannot build when you don't give them enough fuel.

The most accurate way to calculate what you should be eating is to find you BMR, then subtract 500 calories from that. Then keep recalculating as you lose weight.

I did this, because after losing 8 pounds in two weeks, I stopped. I upped my calories and within a week, I was down 2.5 pounds, and I'm still losing.

The whole I can only eat this many calories and I need to spend two hours on the treadmill every day is really not the healthy way to lose weight and keep it off.

And these aren't my opinions, they are things that I adopted because professionals told me. Eat whole grains, protein, and fat, lift weights, do a little cardio(use a HRM to make sure your heart rate isn't too high) and you will lose steadily each week and you will learn habits that will keep the weight off long term.

Then I should be eating around 756 calories, or even less if I go by mfp bmr for me.