I need some advice on exercising

Options
I am 66 yrs old and, although I have lost my first 12 lbs, I am still grossly overweight. (I weigh in at 200 lbs at this time. I do want to start a exercise program but, to complicate matters, I broke my right fibula last Sept. My doctor says "Sure, exercise is good but at your age and weight, putting stress on that leg is asking for it to break again." Scary, huh? My favorite type of exercise is speed walking (I don't run...unless something is chasing me, I see no point to running.) and there is no local gym handy. Can anyone advise me as to some good exercise I can do safely and how fast should I keep my speed when walking? I will be grateful.

Replies

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What about water aerobics? It allows for less impact, but more resistance.
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good job losing that 12 lbs. It sounds like your "speed" walking is helping and since you're on MFP I would guess you're watching your eating by logging in your food diary...both are very good. Not sure how fast you should keep your pace when walking, but keep doing it...as for other workouts that could be added and a little easier on your body, try Zumba...I found some mild Zumba online that is NOT as fast as most but still raises my heart rate and that helped me in my first few months here to lose 17 pounds. Keep up what your doing and as the weight comes off you could try other things.
  • tronapage
    Options
    Good idea! I hadn't even thought of that so thanks a lot. I will hafta wait a couple more months on it tho, because the only pool I have access to won't open until Memorial Day weekend.
  • tronapage
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    What about water aerobics? It allows for less impact, but more resistance.

Good idea! I hadn't even thought of that so thanks a lot. I will hafta wait a couple more months on it tho, because the only pool I have access to won't open until Memorial Day weekend.
  • tronapage
    Options
    thanks Lagcrg, I'm not that familiar with zumba but it certainly sounds worth checking out. :glasses:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I am reading "Strong Women Stay Young" and following the strength training program in the book.....doing something other than running or walking right now, might be a good idea.....the book is written to women of all ages and all fitness levels.
  • tronapage
    Options
    Barbiecat, thanks for the tip. Since I am a boneyfide library lady, I'm sure I can track down this book. :laugh: I appreciate the response.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Another is "Younger Next Year"
    Barbiecat, thanks for the tip. Since I am a boneyfide library lady, I'm sure I can track down this book. :laugh: I appreciate the response.