Confused About Protein Shakes?

Options
I have seen so many threads about protein shakes, recipes etc. But I'm a little worried about putting them into my diet -

Are they better for you if you're trying to lose weight OR more for maintain current weight & building muscle?

In my case, I'm focused on losing weight. I exercise 3 times a week cardio and do weights 1-2 times a week. And I'm not talking intense weight lifting - I do the girly stuff, squats and a body pump class at my gym.

So before I go spend money on the stuff and ingredients, trying to figure out if its worth it? Will I see weight loss if do a protein shake for a meal replacement (i.e. breakfast or lunch)? I'm currently trying to lose 10 lbs to meet goal.

Replies

• scottishhighlander
    Options
    Can't help but also interested in this topic
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have seen so many threads about protein shakes, recipes etc. But I'm a little worried about putting them into my diet -

Are they better for you if you're trying to lose weight OR more for maintain current weight & building muscle?

In my case, I'm focused on losing weight. I exercise 3 times a week cardio and do weights 1-2 times a week. And I'm not talking intense weight lifting - I do the girly stuff, squats and a body pump class at my gym.

So before I go spend money on the stuff and ingredients, trying to figure out if its worth it? Will I see weight loss if do a protein shake for a meal replacement (i.e. breakfast or lunch)? I'm currently trying to lose 10 lbs to meet goal.

Protein shakes are used to help you meet your daily protein requirements. If you can meet them with real foods then they are not needed. They are not needed for weight loss. A calories deficit is needed for weight loss. Getting adequate protein will help to maintain lean body mass, which can be lost along with the fat. Protein also helps some people to feel fuller longer.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Protein shakes will provide you with additional protein. They are convenient, tasty, they are very bioavailable.

If you are protein deficient or if you want to include them in your diet for convenience, then go for it. By itself, it will not induce weight loss or cause muscle gain directly.

For a comparison, think of it as adding a chicken breast to your diet. While not exactly the same, it's a pretty good comparison to what you would be doing by adding whey protein.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Protein shakes are used to help you meet your daily protein requirements. If you can meet them with real foods then they are not needed. They are not needed for weight loss. A calories deficit is needed for weight loss. Getting adequate protein will help to maintain lean body mass, which can be lost along with the fat. Protein also helps some people to feel fuller longer.

This pretty much is it. They neither help or hinder weight loss. They are some help in meeting your protein requirement which helps in muscle recovery and strength building. They are essentially a meal replacement. As stated above, if you can do that with whole foods all the better. I use mine for rehydration and recovery after a workout most mornings.

Edited to say: And what Sidesteal said.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Looking back through your diaries, you get 40 - 50 grams of protein, tops. That is a fairly low goal for your protein. Sidesteal could probably explain better than I why that is important, but I would probably recommend increasing your protein daily, regardless if its a protein shake or "real" food.
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Looking back through your diaries, you get 40 - 50 grams of protein, tops. That is a fairly low goal for your protein. Sidesteal could probably explain better than I why that is important, but I would probably recommend increasing your protein daily, regardless if its a protein shake or "real" food.

Thanks and admittedly my diary has been really bad lately! I haven't been too focused last couple weeks and eaten alot of junk! But at least I've recorded honestly! :embarassed:
  • look1angel
    Options
    I'm on Body by Vi shakes. Sometimes I do 2 a day to substitute my meals & sometime's I'll do 1. So far they have been filling me up & I follow my plan pretty close. After adding 1 cup skim milk it amounts to 20 grams of protien
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm on Body by Vi shakes. Sometimes I do 2 a day to substitute my meals & sometime's I'll do 1. So far they have been filling me up & I follow my plan pretty close. After adding 1 cup skim milk it amounts to 20 grams of protien

I've heard of the Body by Vi shakes. Where do I find them? Do I order online or can I find them somewhere like GNC?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I've heard of the Body by Vi shakes. Where do I find them? Do I order online or can I find them somewhere like GNC?

You are better off with some EAS for the price they want for that. I get a 6 lb bag from BJ wholesale or you can get Cytosport from Costco for $32. EAS is my favorite though.

Just my opinion.
  • look1angel
    Options

I found out about them through a friend who is a trainer & competes. I was skeptical at first but after reading some of the reveiws I figured I'd try it. Here's the website to check out. I'm not a distributer, just a customer. :)
    https://myvi.net/index.html
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the body by Vi shakes really have all that much protein in them? Most whey powders that come in a tub or a bag have 25+ protein per serving, and if you add them to skim milk, that adds another 8 grams or so.

This is an oversimplification, but eating a high protein diet helps you retain lean muscle while burning fat which will help your end result look lean and strong and tight versus "skinny fat" where there is poor skin tone and elasticity.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I didn't add them to my diet until I started actively trying to tone up, but remember, having muscle means you'll burn more calories at rest, so it's not a bad investment, especially if you're working yourself hard. I don't have them a lot, because you can really rack up the calories quickly. Most of the time I just mix half a scoop with some milk and drink that, and it comes in at about 150 calories. If I've burned a lot of calories though, may add in some fruit or do a whole scoop. I just judge on what it feels like my body needs. I also try to keep two of my three meals a day meatless, so I use with when I need extra protein sometimes.

I also use the whey protein in other stuff, like adding it to oatmeal or making pancakes with it. It's not a bad investment if you're extremely active, but there are plenty of other ways to get protein, and they're definitely not mandatory. I do think they've helped me though.

I personally use Designer Whey from Trader Joe's, but there are many alternatives out there.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shakes. I buy Maxpro from Max Muscle chocolate and vanilla. I mix them with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I take protein to increase my protein count for the day as my nutritionist has me eating 175 grams of protein a day. I get 60 of that through my shakes. (1 in the morning & 1 right before bed). Don't laugh at the bed time one....it keeps your metabolism working through the night. When I lost weight 2 years ago, that was my secret. If you are exercising, your body needs lots of protein to repair.
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love body fortress super advanced whey...very very affordable and available at walmart! delicious too!!!
  • look1angel
    Options
    I'm going to look into that too. My son-in-law is a dietician & I'm going to ask him of all the shakes to supplement meals, which is better...& easier on my wallet :)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I would not recommend body by Vi due to the lower protein content. Pick up a tub of whey protein. EAS, Optimum Nutrition are both cost effective and provide a solid pro/kcal ratio.
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    for some people it's hard to get the amount of protein that they want through diet alone. i've started using them again...you just have to factor in the extra calories. i was able to add 54 extra grams of protein a day for 220 calories.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I drink the Body by Vi shakes too. I have been using them for about a month (I mix the powder with 1 cup of chocolate silk soy and half a banana):tongue: . I am down ten pounds since Jan 2/12. I use them simply for convenience. I have two small boys and work shift work. I can be called at any time. It takes me like 2-3 minutes to make and drink a shake. These and counting every calorie i eat plus exercise has been working well thus far. I was finding it hard to meet my protein needs as well.
  • look1angel
    Options
    But if I'm getting my protein from other sources during the day, this is just a quick on the go, no time to cook idea right?
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    But if I'm getting my protein from other sources during the day, this is just a quick on the go, no time to cook idea right?

Yes. I'm not suggesting that Body By Vi is harmful or pointless. I just think that there are better options.