Food Allergies Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Options
Does anyone know how to eat a 1300 calorie diet when you have a yeast and a mold food allergy? I can't have milk, cheese, mushrooms, dried fruits, and there is a long list of things. Basically all I can eat are fresh fruits and vegetables and cooked meat no longer than 24 hours old. I just found out about this and am waiting for a dietitian appointment but until then I am really struggling to meet 1300 calories a day. I have been anywhere from 550 - 900 calories short a day. I am so full from all of the vegetables and fruits that I am having problems trying to eat anymore. I know this is a really healthy diet so I am not complaining about the foods that I am restricted to eat but just struggling to get the calories. Any help would be great.

Replies

• Biggestloserfan
    Options
    Does anyone know how to eat a 1300 calorie diet when you have a yeast and a mold food allergy? I can't have milk, cheese, mushrooms, dried fruits, and there is a long list of things. Basically all I can eat are fresh fruits and vegetables and cooked meat no longer than 24 hours old. I just found out about this and am waiting for a dietitian appointment but until then I am really struggling to meet 1300 calories a day. I have been anywhere from 550 - 900 calories short a day. I am so full from all of the vegetables and fruits that I am having problems trying to eat anymore. I know this is a really healthy diet so I am not complaining about the foods that I am restricted to eat but just struggling to get the calories. Any help would be great.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What about nuts or beans?
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    Cold-pressed oils should be safe with your allergies, but double check. Avocados are calorie dense and should be safe. Nuts may have a mold problem, but if you can find them fresh ... All types of potatoes, winter squashes and root veggies should be fine. I often eat a sweet potato with virgin coconut oil, salt and cinnamon for breakfast. That's a few hundred calories right there.

Do you have candida or a yeast allergy? Those truly allergic to yeast should be able to ingest milk and most milk products -- but not cheese, of course, with your mold allergy. But if you have candida overgrowth, you might have to avoid dairy with high percentages of lactose, which is a milk sugar that feeds candida. Butter should be okay.

You really don't want to be avoiding foods that you don't have too. That makes life too hard. Hopefully you'll get that appointment soon!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Ohhhhh! I just sent you a book that will help you bigtime.

The Ph Miracle
    by Dr. Robert O Young

and/or

The Ph Miracle for Weight Loss
    by Dr. Robert O Young

Amazing. Part of the New Biology. Written by a cellular biologist who studies bodies from the cellular level. Keeping the blood fueled (as Dave says, eat fuel for the body, not food :wink: ) makes it impossible for the body to play host to allergies. His plan is amazing.

www.phmiraclelivingcom
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of this - my kids have similar allergies - we are basically vegans with a bit of meat, and lost of fish. The upside is that it keeps the diet pretty clean! I lost a few lbs when we first found out, and had to clean up our diet.

Here are some ideas:
    BREAKFAST
    - oatmeal with toppings (e.g. honey, rice milk, brown sugar, fruit, nuts)
    - egg white omelet with veggies with spelt bread
    - rice protein shake smoothie: orange juice, frozen strawberries, brown rice protien
    - spelt flakes with rice milk and fruit

LUNCH & DINNER
    - lean meats that you can have (we have once per week each of: salmon filet, tilapia, sole, haddock, tuna - all are low mercury except tune - but safe once a week, then some chicken, shrimp, beef, etc
    - sides dishes: brown rice, lentil pilaf, any veggies you can eat steamed, roasted, broiled, grilled

Hope that helps some!

Also, for snack instead of packaged foods / baked goods, we make these seed bars that are killer - fill a baking sheet with whatever nuts and seeds you can eat, until the pan is almost full (e.g. sesame, almonds, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy seeds, coconut, etc); then dump seed back into a mixing bowl, and add organic, raw, or any kind of honey to the seeds, and stir to mix (you want it to be a bit dry, not too much honey, or it melts and makes a mess when you bake it). Then return to the cookie sheet that has been brushed in olive oil (wet hands to make the transfer and flattening down easier). The bake at 375 until golden brown. Cool, cut, and enjoy!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    According to the ENT I have a food mold allergy and a yeast allergy to brewers and bakers yeast....
    Here is my list so far of what I cannot eat:

For the Mold elimination diet:

No Milk of any kinds
    No cheese of any includes, including cottage cheese
    Mushrooms
    Vinegar and vingear contaning foods such as mayonnaise and other salad dressings, catsup, chili sauce, pickled beets, relishes, green olives, and mustard
    sour cream, sour milk, buttermilk, and yogurt
    beer and wine
    soured breads, such as pumpernickel, coffee cakes, and other foods made with large amounts of yeast
    sauerkraut
    cider and homemade root beer
    pickled and smoked meats and fish, including delicatessen foods, sausages, frankfurters, corned beef, pickled tongue, ham and bacon.
    all dried fruits such as apricots, dates, prunes, figs and raisins
    canned tomatos unless home made. all canned juices
    eat only freshly opened canned foods and freshly prepared fruits
    do not eat meat or fish more than 24 hours old. avoid foods if made from leftovers such as meatloaf, hash, and croquettes. avoid hamburger unless made from freshly ground meat.
    sugar and high fructose corn syrup containing foods. sugars feeds molds/fungus and allow them to thrive...

Now for the foods I can't have that are on the yeast list:

brewer's yeast also called nutritional yeast and anything containing it
    beer, wine, and all other alcoholic beverages
    vitamin and mineral supplements unless specifically labeled yeast free
    vinegar and anything containing vinegar (mustard, salad dressings, pickled foods, sauces, mayonnaise)
    many commercial and processed foods
    miscellaneous fermented foods (soy sauce, shoyu, ciders, olives, sauerkraut, kimchee, some root beers, tempeh, miso, tamari) question anything that tastes acidic

aged, ripened cheese
    probiotics containing saccharomyces boulardii

This is not a fungus free or candida diet only a diet to avoid the saccharomyces genus. This is not because of an infection with these yeast but because of an immunological intolerance.

Not sure about nuts or some oatmeals or stuff like that. So that is why I am waiting for the dietitian appt.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I will try to incorporate avocados but I am not a huge fan of them. I just can't get past the flavor really but will keep trying :). Thanks for all of the suggestions. This can be so frustrating in itself though. I don't mind the diet so much just having a rough time trying to come up with enough food to eat during the day and trying to not make it boring.
  • AJCM
    Options
    That list doesn't sound too bad at all! The yeast would be tricky. Try some matzoh - that is delish with some toppings, or with soup, chilli, etc.

I think if you plan out some meals, you should be able to come up with some things.

The meat thing might be tricky - do you mean 24 hours from slaughter? Frozen fish might be good - Sea Quest flash freezes

For salad dressing you could do fresh herbs, salt, and pepper in a cold pressed oil (can you have this) with lemon and/lime juice and/or zest.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    The salad dressing thing isn't bad because I never did use any salad dressing for my salads. I have just used some fresh pepper juices. Other then that I never really used anything. I can't have anything processed. We are going to raise our own chickens this year and not sure what to do about pork but don't like red meat. I am not sure what they mean by the 24 hour rule I think it is the time from being cooked but that is one thing I need to clarify with the dietitian. This was the only information that I was given. I am to avoid most nuts and milk I got that answer back today from the doctor.
  • AJCM
    Options
    The salad dressing thing isn't bad because I never did use any salad dressing for my salads. I have just used some fresh pepper juices. Other then that I never really used anything. I can't have anything processed. We are going to raise our own chickens this year and not sure what to do about pork but don't like red meat. I am not sure what they mean by the 24 hour rule I think it is the time from being cooked but that is one thing I need to clarify with the dietitian. This was the only information that I was given. I am to avoid most nuts and milk I got that answer back today from the doctor.

I know it's kind of shocking right now, but I think it will eventually become second nature, and will be easy to follow. Feel free to PM me anytime, as we eat this way (however we can have some breads).

We also don't do the nuts - because of severe allergies - and it can be hard to eat an almost vegan diet without nuts! It can be done though.

For the 24 hr meat thing, it will help in the portioning of food! Other than chili, we hate leftovers, so you can get used to that too (athough I know some friends who only cook twice a week, and pack all their meals up for reheat - so if that was your style, it would be a hard change).

Good luck!
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    You're sweet to *try* eating avocados, but if you don't like them, don't force yourself! Ugh, you don't want to be more miserable. :bigsmile:

Fresh grains SHOULD be fine, like oats, buckwheat, millet, but you'll want to avoid anything that has been sitting around for a while because of the mold allergy. Do you know anyone with a grain mill, or does your local HFS have a quick turn-over in their stock? Some stores offer yeast-free breads in the freezer section. If you can get your hands on some good fresh flour, you can easily make quick breads that are tailored to your needs. This lady makes freshly sprouted and milled flour and I think she ships ... http://www.sproutedgrainbread.com/about.html

That is weird about the milk. My impression was that with a mold allergy, it couldn't be fermented dairy like sour cream, cheeses and buttermilk but standard milk products should be fine. Of course, always do what your dr recommends, but you might want to read a bit more on it. The only thing, he/she might be worried about the milk sugars feeding the mold??? But I've never heard that sugar fed mold. Hmmm. Learn something new every day. Of course, it might be because of your specific mold allergy ... maybe that type of mold thrives in milk? Sorry, I digress...

I'd check on the grain thing if you need some calories. Most grains are pretty calorie dense. It would be nice to have some tortilla chips with salsa. Or popcorn. Or oatmeal. Again, try those potatoes! I liked AJCM's advice about the lentils and beans. Good nutrient and calorie dense foods. You might have to find somewhere that rotates their stock regularly to avoid the mold situation. That is a hard one! From what I understand, any freshly opened canned good should be okay, like beans, veggies, etc... Do you like hummus? You could make a tahini-free version if seeds are off limits. I make hummus and dip carrots, celery, etc into it.

Best wishes to you! I remember those days of feeling like I had NOTHING to eat. :heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    This is a really cool thread. I had no idea such allergies existed, nor such foods to work around these allergies!!

You guys are super great with all those suggestions and support. YOU GUYS ARE THE REASON I LOVE MFP!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    To answer some of the posts:

The no milk is because I have a secondary allergy to milk. I can't have anything with sugar and most canned or processed foods have sugar in them even if it doesn't seem like they do. The mold feeds off the sugar in our bodies not in the foods themselves so if you have this type of allergy and are just now trying to eliminate it then it means it sticks around for awhile and will continue to grow. Therefore you have to eliminate all sugar containing foods. I am having the doctor check on the meat thing because I don't know if that means from slaughter or cooked. Right now I am assuming it means cooked. I am getting used to it and still having some slight problems filling up on calories but am getting the hang of it. Thanks for all of the great suggestions!! You guys are great!