Recovering from Stomach Flu.. How to

Options
Wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the ball going again after the stomach flu. I've lost several lbs in the last day or so and know that my body is in starvation mode and my metabolism has got to be down. Any recomendations for what to eat (if anything) that will get my metabolism going again without causing my body to latch onto it as fat? Should I start lower calorie than usual and work my way up?? Clearly I'm still feeling weak and will not be starting physical activity right away. Anybody else face this set back?? What did you do??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am not a physician and this does not constitute medical advice:

Honestly I think you should not give two sh*ts about your metabolism or weight and just focus on getting over the stomach bug. If you google it you'll find BRAT being recommended (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast I believe).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet (<--- see here. You probably have gastroenteritis which is what people mistakenly call a flu).

Just start to eat bland foods once you think you're done puking, and stay hydrated.

When you're 100% in the clear you'll probably start to crave foods again and at that point, resume your plan like normal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the ball going again after the stomach flu. I've lost several lbs in the last day or so and know that my body is in starvation mode and my metabolism has got to be down.

I really woulldnt worry or think you are in starvation mode from "a day or so". If anything, you might be in conservation mode ( I may have just made that term up).

Drink plenty of fluids and rest . Also Sidesteal could be correct. Calm yourself with some nice herbal tea.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I really woulldnt worry or think you are in starvation mode from "a day or so". If anything, you might be in conservation mode ( I may have just made that term up).
    I like it. I'm so sick of hearing about people starving on 2000 calories a day.
  • llllj
    llllj Posts: 5
    Options
    Yeah, I definately agree and my health is definately priority number one right now. Just trying to stay hydrated has been my goal today, who knows hopefully I'll get to start on BRAT.

I guess my question is geared more towards after the bug is gone and I'm able to hit the gym and start eating again. Setbacks are frustrating and I guess I am just trying to find out if anyone has any "cheat codes" so to speak that will keep me from having to go all the way back to the beginning. The reason I emphasized diet and specifically metabolism is because I feel it would be the easist aspect to manipulate. I finally got my body to trust me with the 6 meals a day plan.. and my workout was going great! So what I'm getting is that it's fairly inevitable and just start where I can??
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definately agree and my health is definately priority number one right now. Just trying to stay hydrated has been my goal today, who knows hopefully I'll get to start on BRAT.

I guess my question is geared more towards after the bug is gone and I'm able to hit the gym and start eating again. Setbacks are frustrating and I guess I am just trying to find out if anyone has any "cheat codes" so to speak that will keep me from having to go all the way back to the beginning. The reason I emphasized diet and specifically metabolism is because I feel it would be the easist aspect to manipulate. I finally got my body to trust me with the 6 meals a day plan.. and my workout was going great! So what I'm getting is that it's fairly inevitable and just start where I can??

You're not going back to the beginning. You are resuming where you left off. You're just going to be a bit weak for the first few days in the gym. Give yourself adequate rest, both for yourself and to be sure you're not infecting other people.

You literally have nothing to worry about aside from getting better. The gym will still be there waiting for you when you're 100% and within a few workouts you'll be back to where you left off.

Just rest and relax.