Why We Should All Screw The Scale

Options
In the last month I've gone from 142lbs to 139lbs. Three pounds lost in a month when I only have about 10 to lose in total is not too bad at all. I have been really pleased with my progress so far. Then I had my weekly weigh-in this morning --> 142lbs! What the heck!?

Now I didn't completely freak out because there were a number of explanations for this. I upped my calorie intake by 200 two weeks ago. I was a little too out of control on my cheat day last weekend. After said cheat day, I decided that maybe that wasn't the best route for me and I should just stick to moderation at all times, so I started eating back my exercise calories that I normally would have saved for my weekend spike day. Then Wednesday, I went out with some girlfriends and after consuming some alcohol and late night snacks, I definitely went over in my daily calories. Truthfully, I was never expecting a great weigh-in today, but being back at my starting weight really bugged me this morning.

Then I thought of something. I should check my measurements. So I did and found out that my thighs have gone from 22 inches to 21.5 --> 0.5 inch down! They've been at 22 inches for weeks! Then I looked at my measurement chart and realized something else. I may have started at 142 lbs over a month ago, but I've lost 6 inches from my body in that month, and even in gaining 3lbs, I still lost half an inch. While the scale may not agree, I guess all my hard work is actually paying off.

Even though I'm still peeved about the number on the scale, I'm still making progress. I look and feel way better than I did a month ago and that should be what matters the most. So, for those of you that want to throw your scale against the wall like I did this morning, remember that there are more important things than that stupid, little number!

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing this morning my weight was up again (been on plateau too) - took measurements and I have lost 7.5 since December...I hate the scale!
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I completely know how that feels. When you only have a small amount of pounds to lose, it's very difficult. I had the same experience in the last month--worked very hard to lose 3 pounds and gained 2 back because of a couple bad days. However, my body fat % and my inches are down. So, keep at it! Some of us are struggling and appreciating the little successes with you!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Right here with you! My scale is not budging, but my clothes fit differently and the inches are dropping off week by week (I am down a total of 1.5" on my hips). I guess I always hoped to see that 132lb goal light up on the scale, but for now I am happy with my progress. I have been fluctuating from 137-140lbs for the past month or so. I am trying to focus on how I feel...stronger, healthier, happier and tighter curves to show for it!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I hate scales! None of them are right. I went to the Doctors the other day and thought "Oh I"ll get a true weight and then go home and weigh myself to see how much mine is off". Noooooooooooooooooooo.
    The girl said it was 4 lbs light? :sad: :angry: :grumble: :explode:
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I've been here the last 2 weeks! I gained 2.5 lbs this last week while still working hard and eating right (I don't even have cheat days). But, taking measurements has got me through it (that and improving my mile time by leaps and bounds in the span of one week). I lost about 4 inches total from my body last week alone, 1 inch from each of my arms. Although I think the scale does have some importance and its place, when you start to build muscle you are going to gain a little weight (I assume anyways). I have never felt so in shape and muscular, and I can really feel my body toning. You just have to cling onto what you know is right, and eventually the number will start to go down. Thank you so much for posting this, it's been bugging me a little bit!!
  • Simona38
    Simona38 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of ditching my scale too. I've been in a plateau for 8 weeks now but I've lost inches.

Im wearing jeans that I bought months ago [too small at the time] and I didnt try them on again until yesterday because of that dang scale number. And today...THEY'RE TOO BIG! They're a size bigger than they should be to fit properly. I'm still wearing them. I havent worn jeans since 1997 so Im thrilled but I wouldve missed out on this pair if I just focussed on that number on the scale.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    I can't measure progress by the scale so I only weigh myself occasionally. I need to feel success by how my clothes are fitting, whether I get to buy a smaller size, and measuring. Weird that a person can feel progress in these areas but the scale doesn't budge!:grumble:
  • dimplez711
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I damn near cried when I saw the number on my scale this past Tuesday. Especially after clothes are fitting better, and I've gotten comments from a handful of people at work. I only measure my waist because I'm apple-shaped and I hate my midsection. I should probably start taking other measurements and just leave the scale alone for a while.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP had a ticker for inches lost....I've been stuck at 3 lbs lost for the past month, but I've lost about 9 inches off my body so far!
  • Awesome forum! Said that the other day...."the scale is my worse enemy, I wanna throw it against the wall....." LOL But my energy level is up n my clothes are fitting a lot better n not snugged to the point I can't breathe. LOL The scale is like the devil "he's a liar!" LOL Glad you posted this. We all have our ups and downs. As long I can get back into my size 7's the number on the scale shouldn't matter. Muscle mass is heavy so if you are lifting there's a reason why we gain a little weight.
  • failnomore
    Options
    So true!!! I weighed in this morning and I am 2lbs up, I had 3 pancakes on Pancake Tuesday and I doubt they would bring me up by 2 lbs, In the past if I had seen a gain when i had been trying so hard and being honest with myself I would just have thrown in the towel, but not now, I know this is a long journey and will take time but it is very frustrating when you see the scales go up
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I was feeling hte same way yesterday, the scale has not moved....but I measured and I'm down 4" waist and hips since Jan 20th....made me feel happier.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Everyone is too concerned about a specific number on the scale! Don't let that rule your mood. If you're clothes are fitting better than THAT is all that matters :happy: That is what people can see - remember that number on the scale isn't tattooed on your forehead, but everyone can see you in those brand new, size smaller jeans! :drinker:
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sara_j_barnard
    Options
    Thanks for posting; I think I'm going to start taking some body measurements. I find day-to-day fluctuations can be up to 2lbs for me, and I think it usually has to do with water weight. I'll drop 2lbs after a 90 minute hot yoga class but the next day, I'll gain most or all of it back, after I've sufficiently rehydrated. Maybe weight is better viewed as a trend, over a longer period of time, rather than day to day. Or maybe we should look at a moving average instead of individual weigh-ins (for all you math ppl out there) :happy:
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I damn near cried when I saw the number on my scale this past Tuesday. Especially after clothes are fitting better, and I've gotten comments from a handful of people at work. I only measure my waist because I'm apple-shaped and I hate my midsection. I should probably start taking other measurements and just leave the scale alone for a while.

I am doing this. I am a SA ( scale addict) leaving it alone every morning is KILLING me! But worse is seeing fluctuation on any given day. I am seeing clothes fitting different and it just makes me want to jump the scale but....... maybe measurement is a better idea.
  • Liseii01
    Liseii01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today, my weight will not leave 153 (it's STUCK) by my waist is now a 30 and my belly button measurement is now 32, mommy pouch is 34. 2 inches off each in a week!!
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My scale has a name.. I call it The Liar Scale! My liar scale says 149 fully clothed, on the Wii it says 154, same for my doctors! I hate my scale! I only use it to see what it says! I definitely like the liar scales numbers better, but don't claim it. lol :sad: :laugh:
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today, my weight will not leave 153 (it's STUCK) by my waist is now a 30 and my belly button measurement is now 32, mommy pouch is 34. 2 inches off each in a week!!

we are sisters in measurements and weight basically! :bigsmile:
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi this is inspiring to read all of these i was doing good i thought till jan 23rd level off for 3 weeks and the loss has been extremely slow to none and some days that i work so hard the scale says up 3 or 2 ect..... but during the time the scale said i was staying the same is when i have had the most people coming up and saying i look like i was really loosing. didn't think about doing the measurements. thanks thats a great ideal good luck to all on your journey:bigsmile: