Heavy Lifting for a 50 year old woman?

Options
I'm getting close to my goal weight and I still look kind of "soft" all over. I realize now that I'll probaby still need to lose more if I want to look better. I've lost my weight by counting calories, running and doing Jillian Michaels DVD's.

I've been reading all the comments on lifting heavy and I wonder if it would help me look more fit. I'm considering getting the New Rules of Lifting for Women and giving that a try. Can lifting benefit a woman my age?

Replies

• ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump. Anyone???
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I'm getting close to my goal weight and I still look kind of "soft" all over. I realize now that I'll probaby still need to lose more if I want to look better. I've lost my weight by counting calories, running and doing Jillian Michaels DVD's.

I've been reading all the comments on lifting heavy and I wonder if it would help me look more fit. I'm considering getting the New Rules of Lifting for Women and giving that a try. Can lifting benefit a woman my age?

Q: Can lifting benefit a woman my age?
    A: Yes
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Oh, hell yes! I'm only a little bit younger than you, and it's benefiting me.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    Yes. One of my great MOTIVATORS for lifting heavy is another poster, on this forum, who is my height, but not my age.

I am 43 and she is nearly a decade older than me....but, in 2011 she lost 70 lbs (I think that's the number) and started strength training and entered a NOVICE competition in October, 2011!!

She LOOKS awesome. She IS awesome. And, she whittled her body into a rock-solid emblem of incredible strength and health.

Lifting HEAVY is for EVERYONE.

(In fact, my gym has lifting equipment for WHEELCHAIR-bound persons!!!)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so...I'll be 49 this year, and I want to get rid of some of my soft spots!
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too, am fifty, I have lost 46 lbs and don't look like what i thought i'd look like at this weight. I have recently started lifting with a trainer at the gym. It's been 3 weeks and I have lost 1 1/2 inches at my waist. I go twice weekly and I'm currently reading New Rules of Lifting for Woman. I want to get " there" and stay there. Good Luck to you
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't be effective for anyone, any gender, any age.
  • Leahnh
    Leahnh Posts: 30
    Options
    Strength training will definitely make you look more toned and less soft.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure women over 40 need to do more strength training. Helps with the bone loss among other awesome benefits. :o) I think you'll love the results you get from it as well! Happy lifting!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'll lift heavy until the day I die...then I hope Heaven has a gym. It must or ot wouldn't be Heaven, :laugh:
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ...and let me add that you look pretty fabulous. Would not have guessed you were 50!
  • nopswd
    nopswd Posts: 12
    Options
    It's not only a good thing it's really the only thing that will really give you that sleek toned look. Build some real muscle mass. Don't worry you won't "bulk" up. That is the biggest myth out there. It's hard at first and you will be sore but it's so worth it.
  • jineat
    jineat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and lift and I do a lot of strength training and it is toning me very well I must say.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    46 and heavy lifting. DO IT.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I started lifting light weights when I was 53. Upped it to heavy weights/less reps after my 54th birthday. I'm loving the changes it's making to my body. Wish I started out heavy sooner.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    47 and lifting heavy.

I can rock a bikini. :)

Heavy lifting has tightened me all over, and helped me lose excess fat faster. Well worth it.

This girls another good example of a "not as young" lifter.

Shes age 40

Rob-hammer-2.jpg

Never to late to start!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I saw a man at my gym today who must have been at least 65 benching 150 lbs putting the skinny 20 year dudes to shame. If HE can do it, you can get your tookus in there and do it to.

KILL it sister! I'll so be rooting for you!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love it!!! I'm almost 54 and weight training has been the best. I can go on vacation now and eat what I want and maintain my weight. Before, when I just did cardio, I'd always come back home weighing more!!!!