Fitness magazines?

Options
I'm trying to find a good magazine that has exercise tips in it and not a lot of junk. Does such a thing exist? I bought Oxygen this morning and most of it is ads for things that truly fit, healthy people would never buy!:huh: Help! Please?:happy:
I'm mostly interested in strength training.

Replies

• ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I'm trying to find a good magazine that has exercise tips in it and not a lot of junk. Does such a thing exist? I bought Oxygen this morning and most of it is ads for things that truly fit, healthy people would never buy!:huh: Help! Please?:happy:
    I'm mostly interested in strength training.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I find that Shape and Self are good ones!
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I love Women's Health.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have been getting Fitness and Self. Just subscribed to Women's Health the other day.

You could check them out online - just google Self magazine, Women's Health magazine, etc. I've been visiting Women's Health a lot online lately. You can print the exercise routines and watch a short video demonstration of it if you need. I did their Total Body workout this a.m. - had to watch a couple of the videos to see exactly what they meant. Was great -and I'm definately feeling it! Then if you check them out online and particularly like one or two you know which to subscribe to. Women's Health was $9.90 for 10 issues ordered online - they want $4.50 for 1 issue on the stand! Good luck and have fun. :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    women's health is ok, runners world is good if you run or walk, yoga magazine
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a quality mag focused on strength training for men or women. Men's Health generally has better training articles because women's mags are still stuck in the 80's where we only used 5lb weights and did 1000's of unweighted leg raises. Most muscle/fitness mags are just huge advertisements with a couple articles thrown in about squatting or being a professional bodybuilder. Bleh. :tongue:
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I prefer Shape or Self, but usually have a subscription to Shape. Once I find an exercise I want to try or a article that I find inspiring I'll either tag it in the magazine or rip it and keep it around and read it from time to time.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I haven't been able to find a quality mag focused on strength training for men or women. Men's Health generally has better training articles because women's mags are still stuck in the 80's where we only used 5lb weights and did 1000's of unweighted leg raises. Most muscle/fitness mags are just huge advertisements with a couple articles thrown in about squatting or being a professional bodybuilder. Bleh. :tongue:
    Right!:explode:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I like Fitness and Shape, but I only puruse them for cute gym clothes, and some inspiration - you are right, they are not jam packed with actual exercise info. You might do better to check out the fitness section of your Chapter/Indigo/Borders and browse the books. I have a couple that I think have great exercises: Strength Training and Making the Cut (by Jilliam Michaels) give great information on specific moves to target specific muscles/groups.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Best one I have ever read (and I have read a LOT) is OnFitness. it's designed for trainers, so it doesn't have all the fluff in it. The articles can get a little technical, but once you learn the lingo, it's FAR more in depth and has far better info then any commercial fitness magazine. It's not that easy to find, and it only comes out once every other month, but SOOOOO worth it.

you can go to onfitnessmag.com to subscribe. You WON'T regret it if you like great workout tips, articles, and studies about nutrition and health.
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Women's Health gets my vote! They have a good website, too. www.womenshealthmag.com
  • kfeuvrel
    kfeuvrel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like Fitness magazine. I got a subscription 5 years ago, for 2 years, and once I joined MFP saw a suggestion to clip out their workout routines, and alternate them each month. Each month's magazine had one full body workout - typically using free weights and floor movements, and one specific area workout (like butt, or arms, or tummy). But they also had "Cardio blaster" workouts for the treadmill, elliptical, stair-climber, in 20 minute, 30 minute and 60 minute sessions.

They don't have true circuit training workouts though - which piece of equipment to use and all that. "Weight Training for Dummies" and "Look Great " books do a good job with using machines.

Good luck!
    Kathryn
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I like Fitness magazine. I got a subscription 5 years ago, for 2 years, and once I joined MFP saw a suggestion to clip out their workout routines, and alternate them each month.

That is a great idea!!!! I might just try this - to add some variety to my workouts!
    :flowerforyou: