Quitting food logging???

Options
I am thinking of stopping logging my food and wondered who else had done this successfully. I pretty much eat similar foods most days and have a fair idea of the calories etc. I am guessing most people don't want to log forever, so am interested in how people have found it when they stopped ie did they gain weight or stay on track.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    UGGGGGG. Don't do it. Been there done that. Never again. It is amazing how many items you don't remember eating.
    please keep log gin.
  • LillyMosley
    Options
    Emma, I think I am going to have to log forever, I just bought a scale and found I was eating twice as much cereal as I was logging :noway: It is the portion size that is so hard to estimate.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Emma, I think I am going to have to log forever, I just bought a scale and found I was eating twice as much cereal as I was logging :noway: It is the portion size that is so hard to estimate.
    Lol. I will still measure portions, it's just that I feel like I have got to a place where I can guesstimate calories largely because I am a creature of habit and don't eat vastly different foods each day.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you don't log.. eventually you will get lax about what you are eating because there is no accountability to yourself.
    I used a similar website to this has had a lot of success. and when i stopped, i gained again.. even though you know the rules of loss/maintenance etc... its an out of sight out of mind sort of thing.

13407166.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Millions of people don't log, and don't have any weight problems.

The ultimate goal should be to no longer need to obsess over food, and maintain health effortlessly.

In the mean time, I'm still a fat person in a skinny body, beaten into submission.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I dont log anymore, after it took over my life and I felt I was becoming OCD about it, I eat the same foods and by logging for 2 months I have much more knowledge about them foods, so felt confident that I could continue without logging. I have continued to lean out since I stopped, so it has not done me know harm. but I dont think I would of got to where I am today with out logging those first few months.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for a year now and eventually will stop logging. I also am a creature of habit and eat the same meals with little variation.
  • skichick1968
    Options
    I logged using the Bodybug for 2 years and have gained since quitting. I just started weighing my food again and I forgot how easy it is to think you're using the correct portions but in fact eating a lot more! That's why I'm back to logging.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging. I'm doing fine so far-it's been couple of months. If I ever feel the need to get back to logging I will.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    its a dismal picture and outlook if you're going to have to log everything for the rest of your life!! that's too much, If you feel you can stop logging, stop, see how it goes, if it doesn't work come back try again. Its all swings and roundabouts, whatever works for you, works for YOU and thats what's important
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    its a dismal picture and outlook if you're going to have to log everything for the rest of your life!! that's too much, If you feel you can stop logging, stop, see how it goes, if it doesn't work come back try again. Its all swings and roundabouts, whatever works for you, works for YOU and thats what's important

This!!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been logging since fall of '10. I would like to believe that eventually I may be able to stop logging, I don't plan to do it anytime soon. I just don't trust myself. I find it pretty easy to do, because most of the recipes I use are in the database (ie my recipes or Cooking Light). In the past when I have lost weight, it has always been when I kept a food journal. Once I stopped, I gained the weight back. I don't want to do that again. If this is what I need to do to stay healthy, it is a small price to pay.
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food but I do keep track of what I am consuming. I track my exercise more than anything else.
  • mikavg
    Options
    I quit logging for 6 months and "thought" I was eating all the same foods and watching pretty good until I logged back in and saw the 10 lb weight gain....
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I figure once I get to my goal, I'll quit logging food/exercise daily. However, as soon as my pants get the least little bit snug and/or I show a consistent 5# gain on the scale, I'll be right back on here tracking everything again so I catch it quick.

That's basically what most of my friends who are thin and have always been thin do. It makes sense to me.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    UGGGGGG. Don't do it. Been there done that. Never again. It is amazing how many items you don't remember eating.
    please keep log gin.

Is that similar to regular gin?
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I logged religiously for about 2.5 months. I was getting close to my (original) goal, and wanted to see if i could do it without logging. I managed to hit my goal earlier than planned, and did really well. That was december. I've maintained, and am working on losing again, as i've decided i'd like to lose some more. Actually, that's not entirely true... i'd be fine at this weight, just want to get stronger. So, now i've just begun logging again in an attempt to see how what i'm eating effects me. you can certainly do it without logging, just pay attention to your body and your food.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I log when I feel like it. I haven't felt like it much lately. I have not gained because of it.
  • aptipton
    Options
    If you are at your weight goal and feel good about this being a lifestyle now--you are probably ok. Everything I have read says to change your lifestly with food and to be healthy requires logging. My daughter has quit logging and I can tell. She isn't keeping track of her calories and is eating things she shouldn't be eating so frequently. If you don't feel 100% confident you are living this lifestlye without fail, I would keep lo:smile: gging
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My plan is that once I reach my goal I will continue to log at maintenance for at least 3 months to make sure I don't gain weight back and can stick to the changes I made in my lifestyle. I will then stop logging for 3 months and see if I stay on track. If not, then I return to logging, if so repeat the trial for another 3 months, etc until I can maintain for 1 year.