Morning Workouts Burn More Fat?

Options
I was doing some searching on the internet and came across this: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070827080032AAtArtP ... is it true that working out first thing in the morning burns more fat?

I hadn't heard this before and it is more convenient for me to work out before bed, but that's a pretty drastic difference and I would make the sacrifices necessary to work out first thing in the morning if the info is true..

Replies

• RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hate morning workouts!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did morning workouts in the army at 4am. It's a load of crap. People still get fat in the military. Some food for thought though, statistically more olympic gold medals are won in the later part of the day.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this before. I'd suggest doing some research on the subject and use a more reliable source than Yahoo Answers.

I've heard people ask this question before and the majority of the people have indicated their belief that there is no difference. I actually can't think of one instance where someone swore that a given time of day was better than others.

Let us know what you find!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Some food for thought though, statistically more olympic gold medals are won in the later part of the day.
    Doesn't this have to do with the fact that the event is held in the later part of the day? There will always be a gold medal awarded, regardless of the time the even happens.

Or do you mean Olympic records?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In the long run, not really - the logic is that you "jump start" your metabolism and burn more fat over the next 24 hrs. Sounds good but your rev up your metabolism by working out at 9:00PM too.

I do recall reading something that suggested that aerobic exercise early in the morning also burned more fat as you were in a fasting state and had less glycogen readily available but I believe too that that has been discredited.(Have to have a look in my copy of Alex Hutchinson's Book, Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights)

The bottom line is pick a time that you will consistently stick with. I'm an early riser, my favourite time of day to run is around 5:00AM but everyone's internal clock is different.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hm, interesting... I wonder if its because of the "fasting" in your sleep?
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The best time is the workout that fits into your schedule so you continue on a regular schedule. Doesn't matter what time of the day.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Sorry, yes. I meant records not medals.
  • Fit40Freak
    Fit40Freak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Based on the reading I've done there is no statistical difference between working out in the morning or later in the day. It's just important to find something you can do consistently. I also recently read in one of Jillian Michael's books that exercising in a fasting state causes your body to use it's own muscle for fuel. I worked hard for my muscle, so I always make sure to have something small to eat before I exercise (which happens to be in the morning).
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is true or not, we all are different, and I think that we have to work out at a time that is best for us. I work out early morning to make sure I get my workout in, and I don't have to stress all day about it. I also found that for me, I have more energy and perform better than later in the day. I sometimes can get a bonus workout in the evenings.

The important thing is, you are excercising, and if it is working for you, stick with it. It is easier to stick with something that works, then have to make additional sacrifices for.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've heard this, too. But then again, I've also heard it's a load of crap as well. :o) I prefer to workout in the morning but only after I've had a chance to wake up and eat first. I get so sleepy in the afternoons that I tend to blow it off if I wait until then. I also like to get it out of the way and only shower once.

As I saw on another response, it's just best to workout when you can and when you prefer to do it. I really don't think either is better as far as weight loss. Do what you do best!
  • esotericara
    Options
    It's true that you burn more calories resting after you work out. That effect tapers off throughout the day. So you effectively burn more calories during daytime hours if you work out in the morning, but the same hype could be applied if you worked out at night: "Burn extra calories WHILE YOU'RE SLEEPING!" I second the notion of choosing a time the works for you!
  • KristinArredondo
    KristinArredondo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ACTUALLY HEARD THIS THE OTHER DAY!! My cousin is a nutritionist and she said that YES, WORKOUTS IN THE MORNING BURN MORE CALORIES! (Not sure about fat specifically, i mean..probably). But she did say that morning workouts burn more calories in the morning because you tend to be more "cold" in the morning and forcing your heart rate to be higher and therefor..BURN MORE!! And she said besides...its better to workout in the morning to not only burn more calories, but will also boost your metabolism for the whole day!

I don't like working out in the morning, i feel so tired...lol, but definately seems like it might be worth it if those statements are TRUE! =)
  • masterjosue
    masterjosue Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is pick a time that you will consistently stick with. I'm an early riser, my favourite time of day to run is around 5:00AM but everyone's internal clock is different.
    [/quote]

I agree with the statement abovet. Personally, I love workout in the morning because of the way it makes me feel the rest of the day. I have more energy, and generally feel better...less sluggish. But in the end, all that matters is that you GO to the gym and get your workout in. If you do it at a time that is more convenient to you, then you'll be more likely to continue it regularly. Even if you DO burn more calories working out in the morning, I guarantee you it is only SLIGHTLY more.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whatever minimal metabolic boost that occurs (EPOC) from cardio will still occur regardless of the time of day you choose to do your cardio.

Secondarily, if you're referring to fasted cardio (this is often why people claim AM is superior-- they are assuming you are training fasted) then there's at least some evidence that it MAY be helpful for people who are ALREADY LEAN.

For the vast majority it's not going to make one damn bit of difference. If you're trying to get contest lean, there's a possibility that it would be beneficial.

For just about anyone, I'd say do cardio whenever you prefer and do it fed or fasted, whichever gives you the best performance and adherence to the plan.

You can find a good write up of this here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I also recently read in one of Jillian Michael's books that exercising in a fasting state causes your body to use it's own muscle for fuel.

hopefully Jillian meant aftera prolonged fast. Exercising after sleep (an 8-9 hour fast) will not automatically cause your body to use muscle for fuel. The more I hear of things that Jillian advises, the more respect I lose for her.