Running a Marathon with Zero Training

Options
Apparently this morning on a popular morning radio show where I live, one of the cast members ran a full marathon without any training to prove some kind of point (we had our annual marathon this past weekend, I ran the half). My facebook newsfeed has been FLOODED with people saying what a great job he did and how awesome he is, despite the fact that he needed medical attention from paramedics when he finished.

The guy who did it played sports for several years (and last I checked still participates in sports and is an active person) and is a naturally athletic guy, so it's not like Joe Schmoe who's never gone running a day in his life went and ran a marathon. Regardless, I feel like this stunt was really irresponsible. For one, it seems to me that now many people who are not in as good of shape as the guy who did it are going to try do to things like this (because, well, let's face it, some people are stupid and will do anything if they see it on TV or hear it on the radio). Your average person could seriously hurt themselves or overwork their heart if they decided to just randomly run a marathon.

People who do distance running train for a reason. Because it prevents injury, increases stamina, helps your heart to adjust to working that hard, etc. As a runner, I felt like this was a huge slap in the face. We train for a reason. It is not smart for people to go out and try to run a marathon without a day of training. This guy is sending the message "anybody can do it, it's not that hard." People don't realize his athletic background, and even with that, he needed an EMTS and an oxygen mask when he was finished!

Am I crazy for being the only person I know who thinks this radio publicity stunt was a really bad idea?

Replies

• kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ya..not sure if I want to give props to the guy or not. Because I know when I did my 1st full marathon, I trained... but not as good as I wanted to. Only got a 15 mile run max under my belt before hand. I certainly hit the wall at mile 19 and the remainig 7.2 miles were brutal. And I had been in the best shape of my life, even better than when I played football. So I can't imagine taking it on w/o an ounce of training at all, athletic or not.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about, and I think you should consider the person that did it. He is an arrogant *kitten*. All he does is brag about how awesome he is. I didn't hear about him finishing, though.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT! I agree it was irresponsible... stupid publicity stunts -- and unfortunately some other fool will probably try it as well and perhaps with more dire consequences.

Did he follow up with the details regarding medical attention? Has he reported on the after-effects -- I am sure he has to have shin splints at a minimum.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd also mention that as I recall, the guy played SOCCER for most of his life. You know, the sport where you RUN A LOT. I'm just concerned about impressionable listeners thinking they can do it too and seriously injuring themselves.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about, and I think you should consider the person that did it. He is an arrogant *kitten*. All he does is brag about how awesome he is. I didn't hear about him finishing, though.

Oh I know him personally, I worked with him for several years. Surprisingly though, off the air he is (or at least was when I knew him) a really nice, down to earth guy. His on-air persona is a fake personality.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    So dude could stomach 5 hours of pain??? So. Still dumb and dangerous.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just wanted to run a marathon and didn't want to do all the training for it which is almost like a part-time job. Was it smart? No. Did he want to run a marathon anyway? Yes. He probably thought as you suggested, that he is athletic and been a soccer player so why not give it a go. I bet he would not do it again without training. And I hope HE is not seriously injured. Sad if he stunt will effect his soccer playing. He did a dumb thing, don't hate him for it. Anyone who attempts to do something just because someone else did it, without looking at the risks is stupid so, yes, I am sure some stupid person will follow him over the cliff. It is amazing what some people are willing to do just because they heart someone else do it.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen the videos of people finishing a marathon and their bodies just collapsing...like this one....

http://www.therundown.tv/videos/wtf-files/worst-marathon-finish-ever-women-crawl-to-the-finish-line/

just stupid.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Omg. I laughed so hard at this video! Makes me not want to try a marathon (not that i ever really wanted to anyway)
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Omg. I laughed so hard at this video! Makes me not want to try a marathon (not that i ever really wanted to anyway)

Not going to lie, I laughed, but i can imagine how that feels like. It was actually an Iron man event, not just a marathon.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready for my 25th marathon. You want to know a secret? Marathons are tough even when you DO train properly.

Undertrained is bad. Untrained it is just plain ugly.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Not going to lie, I laughed, but i can imagine how that feels like. It was actually an Iron man event, not just a marathon.

Was it? I thought it said marathon. Still...so strange what the human body can do when it has had enough.

It really kind of grossed me out the first time I saw it. :embarassed:
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine. Ouch. My body would just .....die...
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Apparently this morning on a popular morning radio show where I live, one of the cast members ran a full marathon without any training to prove some kind of point (we had our annual marathon this past weekend, I ran the half). My facebook newsfeed has been FLOODED with people saying what a great job he did and how awesome he is, despite the fact that he needed medical attention from paramedics when he finished.

The guy who did it played sports for several years (and last I checked still participates in sports and is an active person) and is a naturally athletic guy, so it's not like Joe Schmoe who's never gone running a day in his life went and ran a marathon. Regardless, I feel like this stunt was really irresponsible. For one, it seems to me that now many people who are not in as good of shape as the guy who did it are going to try do to things like this (because, well, let's face it, some people are stupid and will do anything if they see it on TV or hear it on the radio). Your average person could seriously hurt themselves or overwork their heart if they decided to just randomly run a marathon.

People who do distance running train for a reason. Because it prevents injury, increases stamina, helps your heart to adjust to working that hard, etc. As a runner, I felt like this was a huge slap in the face. We train for a reason. It is not smart for people to go out and try to run a marathon without a day of training. This guy is sending the message "anybody can do it, it's not that hard." People don't realize his athletic background, and even with that, he needed an EMTS and an oxygen mask when he was finished!

Am I crazy for being the only person I know who thinks this radio publicity stunt was a really bad idea?

Agreed!!! I've never run a marathon, nor have I run a half marathon-- heck, haven't even gotten to running 5 miles. 3 is my average. Anyway, that is really irresponsible of this guy to have done that. Not all sports are created equal. My dad is in really great shape and can ride his bike 75 or so miles just fine but if he were to turn around and say I think I'm going to run 26.2 miles today he wouldn't bode well with that. Different group of muscles, different everything!
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I played soccer in high school ran 4:58 miles and all that, but never would have made a marathon even then. Frankly, looks like a typical media stunt. Running to the point where you need medical attention makes as much sense as not eating to lose weight to the point you are taken to a hospital.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That was so painful to watch. I would have cried just from the helplessness! I couldn't imagine.

I still laughed though.
  • JustThomas
    Options
    I stumbled across this website/thread while looking for an ultra marathon training plan starting from scratch, and it cracked me up. I felt compelled to reply despite it being inactive for a couple of years because it seems I'm the lone voice of dissension in my thinking that this guy was not completely crazy. In fact, for many years (and perhaps still) climbers in Alaska have run the Fairbanks, Alaska Equinox Marathon without any training runs whatsoever. I personally have run it twice straight off the couch, but others make it an annual event and no one is collapsing or needing medical attention. Being in good or great general fitness is the norm for avid alpine climbers where days in the mountains are long (sometimes 24 hours long) and approaches are long (sometimes a more than a dozen miles over incredibly rugged trailless terrain just to find the start of the climbing) and anyone with any time in the mountains learns to listen to their bodies and slack when needed or face dire consequences in the event of a "bonk" on some cold desolate glacier days from paramedics or any sort of rescue that modern "athletes" come to expect when pushing themselves to their limits. Still, no one in this crew is an elite athlete, or has a "training plan". Furthermore, hiring a coach would make you the laughing stock of the community. Instead, this group just gets out and pushes themselves and over time builds the confidence and mental stamina to put in huge efforts and depending on their schedules and climbing ambitions their general fitness varies tremendously from one part of the year to the next. I share this because I feel that runners, above most athletes, seemingly set up mental barriers for themselves and worse yet for others. And after years of hiring coaches, and careful dieting, and wearing the latest miracle product might achieve their goals and then proclaim to be an elite athlete. Meanwhile, no names are crushing off the couch without even realizing something that is supposed to be difficult. Granted, pushing yourself beyond your physical limit is in fact incredibly dangerous, but getting close and backing off just enough to have a proper adventure makes running 26.2 within reach of many more people than our culture believes. Thousands of regular Americans with active lifestyles are fully capable of running marathons without training, not that it doesn't hurt like hell or cause soreness for days, but it's not as irresponsible as you folks are suggesting if you just listen to your body and mentally prepare yourself for the punishment.

I'm reminded of the ancient Chinese proverb that goes something like: "Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it."

Or more recently form The Kid President, "Don't be boring, everyone can be boring."